Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 12 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 09:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need some HELP in a photo contest!

this thread is locked
Daytona
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Apr 12, 2017 09:25 |  #1

Hey guys - I'm trying to win an AR-15 photo which 3-GUN NATION is holding. Here's the link:

If you could take 5 seconds to vote for my photo, I'd really appreciate it - I'm in 3rd place right now. :cry:

Just click on the heart icon below the photo to vote.

THANKS!

MEMBER, CANON PROFESSIONAL SERVICES (CPS) MEMBER, NAT. ASN. OF PHOTOSHOP PROS (NAPP)
CURRENT BODIES: 5D Mark III
SITE OWNER:
ThruMyLensexternal link/LuxuryTymeexternal link

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Apr 12, 2017 09:30 |  #2

Daytona wrote in post #18325937 (external link)
Hey guys - I'm trying to win an AR-15 photo which 3-GUN NATION is holding. Here's the link:

If you could take 5 seconds to vote for my photo, I'd really appreciate it - I'm in 3rd place right now. :cry:

THANKS!

If you win are you going to share the prize with us? Thought not.

I voted but it wasn't for your image.

I love these threads where people tout for votes, are you really that desperate to win?

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,116 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Apr 12, 2017 10:14 |  #3

Agreed^. I voted for another as well.

teekay
Goldmember
2,614 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Apr 12, 2017 10:38 |  #4

Wouldn't vote for ANY assault rifles, let alone for someone trying to drum up votes like this.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Apr 12, 2017 10:47 |  #5

Well I did. nice black and white.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Apr 12, 2017 13:31 |  #6

I liked this one from Tim, who called it my baby.
https://d1w30icyrj2mt2​.cloudfront.net ...wfBQlO8gXD2j1s3/ima​ge.jpg (external link)

Nuts...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed. 9 edits done in total.
Apr 13, 2017 13:44 |  #7

I voted for you, just to help you out, I don't mind if a fellow member asks for support in a photo contest. I can see where somebody votes for something else, but to come here and rub it in or belittle the person that is asking for some support, that is quite rude. :(

I should pull out mine, but it's nothing special and has yet to be shot. Fun yet another very expensive sport/hobby! Then again, looking at some of those photos, I don't think I could do worse. Looks like one guy is sleeping with his gun as it is sitting on his comforter, another has his sitting up against his cold air return on a dirty carpet, lol.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,263 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Apr 13, 2017 15:29 |  #8

Where are the mods? In another thread, not so long ago, one of them said that threads like this weren't welcome and would be pulled.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,387 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 13, 2017 17:39 |  #9

Strange, I don't see any rules around this, but I guess so. Just ping Jake to see his thoughts?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,864 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Apr 14, 2017 09:38 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #18327150 (external link)
Where are the mods? In another thread, not so long ago, one of them said that threads like this weren't welcome and would be pulled.

It's been in discussion. One factor would be whether it's a 1-2 post member (spammer) vs. a longer active member.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,568 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Apr 14, 2017 09:57 |  #11

IMO, a "vote for my photo" request is bad form, no matter how long you've been here.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,263 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Apr 14, 2017 10:15 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18327693 (external link)
It's been in discussion. One factor would be whether it's a 1-2 post member (spammer) vs. a longer active member.

Good to know, thanks.

moose10101 wrote in post #18327716 (external link)
IMO, a "vote for my photo" request is bad form, no matter how long you've been here.

Yes, IMO too. I'd draw the line between "Exciting news! This photo that I posted three months ago has been accepted in the XYZ contest. If you want to vote, go to XYZ. org" and "Please vote for my photo at XYZ.org."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Apr 14, 2017 11:26 |  #13

Daytona wrote in post #18325937 (external link)

You're asking people to vote for YOUR photo? Really?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to invite POTN members to go to the link, and then vote for whichever photo they think is the best one? Isn't that the whole point of casting a vote in a photo contest?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,794 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 14, 2017 12:39 |  #14

It was not so much a written rule, as it was a matter fair practice,. given that POTN does/did have competitions on our forum as well, and within those competitions the rules always prohibited the calls for votes like this one.

The good conscience part is if we disallow it in our own competitions, then we clearly find it unsportsmanlike, and thus we shoudl disallow POTN being used for similar purposes.

That said, Daytona is a long time POTN member, and should not be given any grief for his post. It is a common practice becoming more and more common. ( The commonality of such posts in fact influenced our pause to re-discuss the matter before taking action)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,934 views & 11 likes for this thread
Need some HELP in a photo contest!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.