Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 15 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 17:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Can one frame a photo better via the viewfinder using a smaller viewfinder?

Luigi123
69 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Apr 15, 2017 17:14 |  #1

Bear with me, please.

I've noticed that my eye can catch how well a photo has been framed (notice undesirable tilt) when I look at it in the small preview at top left hand corner in LR.
And that makes sense. Think of a photo that is the size of a wall and you are standing just one or two feet away. You can't see all corners and edges at the same time, thus making it harder to gage how well the photo was framed...

I feel like the same applies to cameras with a smaller vs. larger viewfinder, because when you're looking into the viewfinder, with a full sensor I feel like you see a lot more, and thus the edges harder to take in all at once.

It just surprises me that I can't find any information on this.

I know seeing the edges of an image isn't everything, but I feel like it plays a huge role in framing the photo.

Are people with full frame cameras at a slight disadvantage if they are the type to not see the corners well enough in a larger viewfinder?

mike_d
Goldmember
4,764 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Apr 15, 2017 17:27 |  #2

I have a 5D3 and a Fuji XT-1. I feel like I'm a better composer on my 27" screen in Lightroom than I am through either viewfinder. I'll usually notice a small tilt or something element I wish wasn't in frame when I view images on the computer. So most of my images are cropped at least a little.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
5,957 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 9 days ago by kf095.
Apr 17, 2017 09:52 |  #3

To me seeing edges is important. I do not crop in PP. I frame it before picture is taken. This is why I like classic Leica M and P&S viewfinders. Frame in the middle and extra space around it. It allows me easily check and select what is going to be in the corners.

Good steak doesn't need corners to be cut to eat it. Same for lens. If you are cutting in PP, you are cutting part of the lens rendering. And it makes images more flatten.
If you are framing it before shot, it is not always technically perfect, but it preserves the moment and feels more alive.

Quick shot with Oly Trip 35, which has nice frame in viewfinder. :-)

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2919/33691425600_f8ac70637e.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Tkcn​3h] (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
37,898 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 17, 2017 12:52 |  #4

I think that there can be truth in the statement, if one photo size relies too much on your peripheral vision to assess alignment...in that case the smaller photo indeed is easier to assess misalignment.

OTOH, if both photos allow use of central vision (and not peripheral vision) then the larger one is easier to assess, as the angular misalignent is a visually larger one to assess.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can one frame a photo better via the viewfinder using a smaller viewfinder?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.