Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 16 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 00:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting hockey tethered?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 16, 2017 00:32 |  #1

Has anyone tried this with much success? I have an upcoming hockey tournament where I will potentially be photographing 19 games in 7 days. Shooting commercial and portraits tethered has been wonderful so I am wondering if that same convenience can be used shooting sports.

Those that have done this, is it worth it? Do you find it was easier than just offloading cards in between games?

Thanks all.

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Apr 16, 2017 00:38 |  #2

In my opinion it would only be worth it if you have an assistant culling the shots and doing basic adjustments while you are shooting the game. If you are shooting by yourself, you would not gain much.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

the ­ flying ­ moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 16, 2017 16:09 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #3

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I think I might try it for a game or two to see what its like but I don't think I'll rely on it for this tournament.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Apr 16, 2017 16:34 |  #4

I do lots of cards and unload. if you are not busy between periods its enough time to unload a card or 2. Not much else of course but you could get it going that way. Pre make your folders for all the games and periods and copy over. Rename later.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 21, 2017 22:39 |  #5

the flying moose wrote in post #18329641 (external link)
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I think I might try it for a game or two to see what its like but I don't think I'll rely on it for this tournament.

Are you talking about shooting actual games? Wouldn't it dramatically slow down the speed you can shoot at? Also you would have to have the computer next to you with a cable to the camera, which limits movement... unless you tether wirelessly which would be even slower.

And what would be the benefit? Unless you have an assistant sorting/culling the images they are just going to sit on the computer.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Apr 21, 2017 22:59 |  #6

I imagine the benefits of shooting tethered would be lost if you were using LR to tether with. Capture One would be much better but I think it's still not fast enough if you burst shots.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links

2,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting hockey tethered?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.