Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 16 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 15:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Flux is Strong with this One

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Post has been edited 6 months ago by calypsob.
Apr 16, 2017 15:37 |  #1

Here is a recent image of M81 and M82 that I took using a side by side configuration consisting of one Monochrome debayered Canon 60d and a full spectrum 550d. Both modifications were performed by Brent Oliver of Hypercams and Mods. Both cameras are using the Samyang 135mm F2 lens wide open at F2. The dust that you can see in this image is known as the IFN, integrated fulx nebula. It is a spanse of dust that separates our milkyway galaxy and othere neighboring glaaxies. It does not actually emit light and is made up of a molecular dust structures containing hydrogen, carbon, helium, and nitrogen. The reason that we are able to see it is because the milkyway emits light whihc is reflecting off of the surface of the IFN. It is a difficult structure to capture because the IFN is so faint that it just barely sits above the cameras read noise level. With dark skies, fast optics, a correct amount of integration, and good processing you can pull out the ifn. Hope you enjoy this one.

104x40s mono 60d iso1600 -69.3 minutes -CLS CCD filter

104x50s RGB 550d iso 1600 -86.66 minutes uv/ir cut filter

SQM 21.5

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2858/33193121913_7a9ef0efda_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Szaq​Hp] (external link)RGB version M81 M82 integrated flux nebula #Explored (external link) by Wes Schwarz (external link), on Flickr

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 16, 2017 16:09 |  #2

Really nice Wes, interesting to see the challenge structures.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Apr 17, 2017 09:29 |  #3

Very nice!!!

Say, how do you like those Astronomik filters? I've got the Lumicon Deep-Sky & Lumicon UHC filters but I find they give a rather strong blue color cast and it takes me a bit of work to correct in post. So recently I stumbled onto (as in, someone donated a some gear to the club, it happened to be in the kit, and I tested it) the Orion Skyglow light pollution filter and really liked it's ability to cut down on the light pollution without giving me totally wonky color (moderate color cast but easily corrected).

I haven't tried the Astronomik filters, but I'm wondering if I should replace my Lumicon filters.

TinysMav
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2017
Apr 20, 2017 07:46 |  #4

Nice work! Certainly a difficult scene to capture.

Kudos!

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Apr 20, 2017 23:51 as a reply to TCampbell's post |  #5

Thanks, I use the uv/ir cut filter primarily. It is really good for eliminating bloat on a fullspectrum sensor and it prevents halos from forming really well at fast apertures. I like the cls-ccd on the monochrome body for emission nebula but for targets like this I really need a second uvir cut. Astronomik makes an excellent filter, I highly reccomend their products.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

calypsob
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Apr 20, 2017 23:52 as a reply to TinysMav's post |  #6

Many thanks!

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,732 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Apr 23, 2017 21:51 |  #7

Well done bringing out the IFN!

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

sponsored links

1,171 views & 10 likes for this thread
The Flux is Strong with this One
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.