Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 18 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 20:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hard to explain correctly

Archibald
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Apr 19, 2017 14:08 |  #16

Pagman wrote in post #18331673 (external link)
Many folks Know I have a Nikon D7100 (24mp) anyway this camera has built in a crop mode that in effect crops away 1/3 of the outer edge leaving 15mp's, this has a few uses - larger buffer size, faster frame rate, more files on mem card and smaller files on pc, it also changes the effective eqv fov size of a 300mm lens including the crop sensor crop, to a generous 600mm.

My quiry is this - when using this would it change the lens holding situation aka lens legnth vs shutter speed (I have no stabilisation on my lens) to eliminate shake when I want to get some prop blur from helicopters or piston planes, another words in theory with a 300mm on a crop = 450mm requiring a shutter speed of 1/400 - 1/500sec, but with the extra crop mode equaling 600mm eqv, does that mean it now requires 1/600sec min to stop shake?.

I wonder if the camera calculates the extra crop after pressing the shutter or should the extra crop be taken into account with a higher shutter speed from the get go?

Sorry if I havn't made sense - just dont know how else to explain it-?

P.

Hi, Pag. The shutter speed rule of 1/FL is a very rough one, I mean VERY rough. You might guess this from the fact it just happens to coincide with the focal length of the lens. Other factors, like your ability to hold the lens steady, or supporting on a nearby pole, or lens weight, or your coffee consumption, all play a big role compared to this overly simple rule.

A crop factor of 1.3 (of the native image) is not very much.

So I would suggest to not worry too much about it and go out and shoot.

As far as propeller blur is concerned, whether you use the 1.3 crop mode or not makes no difference. For that matter, shooting in crop mode or in native mode and cropping later on the computer will give exactly the same result.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar; Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
Stamp out unnecessary question marks! (external link)
Picture editing OK

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,102 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 19, 2017 14:17 |  #17

One thing to note: If you are speeding up the shutter to better prevent camera motion blur, the helicopter blades will not be as blurred, either.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Tixeon
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Apr 19, 2017 15:01 |  #18

I'm with Archibald. I don't think it's worth worrying about :-)

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Apr 19, 2017 16:47 |  #19

Thanks to all who replied it was just going round and round in my head and I couldn't come to a conclusion if it mattered or not? I use the extra crop mode as it does help in several areas, and with most of my shooting of moving objects I keep the sh speed between 1/1000sec - 1/1250sec, but when I want some prop blur I go down to 1/400 sec (not foregetting its a heavy front end heavy none stabilised lens).

I havn't tried changing from normal to crop mode during the photographing of a passing helicopter, as I wouldn't have the time as the setting is buried in the menues, and guess I would need to for an accurate comparison of camera shake margin between crop and nor cropped.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,405 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Apr 19, 2017 17:04 |  #20

Pagman wrote in post #18332340 (external link)
I havn't tried changing from normal to crop mode during the photographing of a passing helicopter, as I wouldn't have the time as the setting is buried in the menues, and guess I would need to for an accurate comparison of camera shake margin between crop and nor cropped.

I seriously doubt you'd get any truly useful information from such a comparison doing that because there's absolutely nothing that you can do to get the very same amount of camera/lens shake between successive shots. All the recommended minimum shutter speed calculations are simply based on average photographers taking handheld photos and average people viewing the resulting images. What is truly "average"? It's anybody's guess.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Archibald
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Archibald.
Apr 19, 2017 17:21 |  #21

SkipD wrote in post #18332347 (external link)
... All the recommended minimum shutter speed calculations are simply based on average photographers taking handheld photos and average people viewing the resulting images. What is truly "average"? It's anybody's guess.

Those average people are from more than a half century ago with lenses and film of the time, when the shutter speed rule first appeared. Today's lenses and sensors are much better. But the old rule of thumb remains.

For critical sharpness, I would use a shutter speed one or two stops faster than the cherished rule recommends.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar; Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
Stamp out unnecessary question marks! (external link)
Picture editing OK

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Apr 19, 2017 17:30 |  #22

Archibald wrote in post #18332364 (external link)
Those average people are from more than a half century ago with lenses and film of the time, when the shutter speed rule first appeared. Today's lenses and sensors are much better. But the old rule of thumb remains.

For critical sharpness, I would use a shutter speed one or two stops faster than the cherished rule recommends.

Yep my rule is not to go below 1/1000sec with jets or bif and 1/400sec with props and helicopters:-)

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sponsored links

1,337 views & 9 likes for this thread
Hard to explain correctly
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.