Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by CheshireCat. 3 edits done in total.
Apr 20, 2017 11:15 |  #1
banned

... and Canon is still sleeping... :(

If AF performance with Metabones is at least comparable, I don't see any reason why I should not sell the 1Dx and switch to Sony.

For years I've been disappointed by Canon's lack of innovation.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Apr 20, 2017 11:29 |  #2

CheshireCat wrote in post #18332998 (external link)

If AF performance with Metabones is at least comparable, I don't see any reason why I should not sell the 1Dx and switch to Sony.

For years I've been disappointed by Canon's lack of innovation

So why then do you buy their cameras?

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been edited 6 months ago by CheshireCat.
Apr 20, 2017 11:36 |  #3
banned

john crossley wrote in post #18333010 (external link)
So why then do you buy their cameras?

I bought the 1Dx because sometimes I need excellent AF performance and/or framerate with my several Canon lenses.
When I don't, I mount them on a Sony A7R2.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Apr 20, 2017 12:19 |  #4

Well from the standpoint of a sports and wildlife photographer...

"BATTERY LIFE (STILL IMAGES)
Approx. 480 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor)"

Nothing like watching something cool or interesting happening while your fishing around in your gear bag for the next battery. One battery for the 1Dx MkII looks to be about a grand worth of spare batteries for the A9 for the same number of photos. I would much rather head out for a weekend trip with a battery in the camera, and a spare I don't even expect to use safely stowed away in the bag 'just in case' than to head out with a camera I might expect to swap batteries a few times a day. I can't image that Sony plays all that nicely in wet and mud when you're swapping cells, especially compared to the Canon that sits there still taking photos with 80+% battery life left.

1Dx MkII also rather wins for its storage device. SD cards are terrible. Many people forget that writing to the card is only half the job. When dealing with large volumes of data, being able to pull it off one storage device onto another at high speeds is kind of a handy thing.

Canon glass and not having an adaptor sitting between it and the camera are also a nice selling point.

And then there is Canon customer service... Can't say that I've ever had a pleasant experience when dealing with Sony and anything customer service related.

As for 20fps... Eh, it is nice, but getting above 8-10 just feels like rapidly diminishing returns in my view. If I were to replace my 7D bodies with cameras more in line with the A9's price point, I think I would still go with a 1Dx at this point. Sure, I would like the option to shoot at 20fps, but I still like all the benefits the 1D line brings over Sony's offerings far more than I like sitting down to cull even more unneeded photos from a project folder.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by eddieb1. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 20, 2017 13:00 |  #5

Highly unlikely that one camera will sink a company like Canon. I remember the same fear, years ago, that Nikon would sink Canon. Never happened. Canon is fairly conservative. In the end, they always seem to come out on top. Besides, the price of the Sony will limit it's sale to people with deep pockets.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Apr 20, 2017 13:11 |  #6

Yep ... got to be right ... FUBAR ... all hope is gone ... throw out that toxic Canon kit ... breath in great sweet gulps of that fresh Sony air. The photographic revolution has come and all in its path will be swept away.

... or maybe not.

Dmab
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Wisconsin
Apr 20, 2017 14:10 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #7

Meh -- this camera will be obsolete in 6 months when Sony releases v2, then ver3 next year.

All kidding aside, I'm cool with other companies blazing the way with glorified R&D features. 20FPS is nothing to sneeze at, but tell me the percentage of people that actually believe that is part of their workflow.

Most photographers I know throw shade on anything besides the single shot picture taking.

Dan
=======
Gear List

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Apr 20, 2017 14:15 |  #8

Dmab wrote in post #18333162 (external link)
Meh -- this camera will be obsolete in 6 months when Sony releases v2, then ver3 next year.

All kidding aside, I'm cool with other companies blazing the way with glorified R&D features. 20FPS is nothing to sneeze at, but tell me the percentage of people that actually believe that is part of their workflow.

Most photographers I know throw shade on anything besides the single shot picture taking.

True ... but boys love gear. It will find a market. And I agree, it's good to have this innovation going down. It will spice things up a bit, I hope.

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Apr 20, 2017 16:31 |  #9
banned

Luckless wrote in post #18333066 (external link)
Well from the standpoint of a sports and wildlife photographer...

"BATTERY LIFE (STILL IMAGES)
Approx. 480 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor)"

Nothing like watching something cool or interesting happening while your fishing around in your gear bag for the next battery. One battery for the 1Dx MkII looks to be about a grand worth of spare batteries for the A9 for the same number of photos. I would much rather head out for a weekend trip with a battery in the camera, and a spare I don't even expect to use safely stowed away in the bag 'just in case' than to head out with a camera I might expect to swap batteries a few times a day. I can't image that Sony plays all that nicely in wet and mud when you're swapping cells, especially compared to the Canon that sits there still taking photos with 80+% battery life left.

bpaulette wrote in post #18333239 (external link)
The CIPA numbers won't be accurate (never have been even close for my A7Rii)

From shooters who've tested the a9

Brian Smith: http://briansmith.com ...100-400mm-gm-lens-review/ (external link)

After my first day of shooting, my battery still had 30% juice left in the tank after shooting OVER TWO THOUSAND continuous focus action shots with a mix of E-mount and adapted A-mount lenses. NP-FZ100 performed even better on second day of shooting with 60% battery remaining after shooting over 1400 action and portrait shots.

Patrick Murphy-Racey: http://pmrphoto.blogsp​ot.com ...ick-murphy-racey.html?m=1 (external link)

I purposefully did not charge the battery each day and instead just kept shooting on the same one so I could see how many exposures I could get. I shot on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning and into the early afternoon each day. That Wed. night, we took the cameras to the University of Hawaii (Much thanks to Jay Metzger for his kind welcome!!!) to shoot a bunch of different sports with various types of action. At the end of Wed. night, I had shot a total of 3867 images on the main camera that was used on the 500mm f/4 + LEA3 combination. The final readout on battery #1 in the grip read, 59%. It never even touched battery #2 which just sat in there doing nothing the whole week. Even the engineers were impressed with this performance in the hands of this “end user.” It achieved this percentage doing the most heavy lifting possible, moving the huge elements of glass around in the 500mm A mount lens though the phase detect enabled Sony LEA3 adapter! Impressive. Likewise, the other A9 I was using had the GM70-200mm f/2.8 attached with the 1.4x as well. I shot around 2300 photos on that setup and the battery level read 81%.

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Apr 20, 2017 16:39 |  #10
banned

thats why I got rid of my 5DIII, over two years ago, best decision ever.

Before that decision i was holding on to Canon and every year hoping for that unicorn magical camera that Canon might release, and over two years later it still hasn't happened.

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Apr 20, 2017 20:57 |  #11
banned

Canon 1DX II vs Sony a9 AF Tracking performance comparison

https://youtu.be/gcIpu​o_mJl8?t=231 (external link)

Gear List

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
233 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Butts.
Apr 20, 2017 22:32 |  #12

^^ Nice comparison using native lenses, interesting.

How many FPS does the a9 do with Metabones? Is it still 20?

** checked the Sony website. FPS drops to 10 with AF Tracking possible.......mmmmm.

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Apr 20, 2017 22:49 |  #13

Dmab wrote in post #18333162 (external link)

These forums crack me up.
Better DR? who needs that
More fps? Who needs that
Eye focus? Who needs that

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Post has been edited 6 months ago by artsf.
Apr 20, 2017 23:28 |  #14

I don't take it seriously. Sony, as a company, is constantly distracted, saturating with never ending new models that make even recent ones obsolete. They started out with A-mount, then E- mount, then FE mount, who knows what's next, medium format?
I doubt we can expect CPS level of support from them. They are great at innovation and all-in-one types of products like RX100.

Canon is a very conservative company, always with long-term strategy in mind. DPAF is amazing and robust breakthrough. Their EOS-M mount has great potential. This is unlike Nikon which commited an epic fail, beyond repair, by releasing 1-mount, what a legacy; not to mention the company had not invested in sensor manufacturing and it's at a sole mercy of Sony that can now pull the plug on Nikon to compete head to head with Canon.

IMO, Canon will continue to dominate professional photography market for the foreseeable future.

CheshireCat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been edited 6 months ago by CheshireCat.
Apr 20, 2017 23:32 as a reply to nekrosoft13's post |  #15
banned

Thanks for the link.
Nice comparison, however in a Sony stand, and that means Sony had cherry-picked the best case.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links

54,145 views & 621 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.