Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 17:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anything unusual with using 2 cameras each with YN622c for same set of remote flashes ?

Kumsa
194 posts
Joined May 2010
Northern Virginia
Apr 20, 2017 17:14 |  #1

I might accept an offer to capture a casual, indoor, wedding event (which I've done before). However, I can't get there for a scouting check, so I'd like to prepare for the worst, in terms of lighting. I'd like to have a YN622c on 2 cameras, with the flashes positioned on a tripod to do a ceiling bounce.

Do you think it is a safe assumption that if I'm using 2 cameras, each with a YN622c, that I can switch between them and fire the same set of flashes ?

T2i / 6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo 568Ex's / Yong Nuo 622 / Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Yongnuo YN-14ex
Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / Zerene Stacker
LeadershipByNumbers (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Apr 20, 2017 17:24 |  #2

Should be no issues, particularly if you use a radio xmitter on each camera, both using the same channel as the receiver on the flash.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Apr 20, 2017 17:38 |  #3

I'm not familiar with these triggers, but with the Canon brand family of stuff, there can be only 1 active Master (the first one turned on) so you have to turn off the non active camera flash / controller in order to release the Master for the second camera. I've done this many times and it is easy. No idea if the same is true for the YN622c but if it is it will be good to know.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
38,375 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Apr 20, 2017 18:00 |  #4

These dadgummed modern devices are too smart for their own good! Used to be you could easily have a single slave with multiple transmitters triggering them...it is how multiple photographers triggered studio flash units during group photoshoots with a model. This xTTL stuff could well be too finicky; I wonder about other brands of radio transmitters and receivers being picky, or not.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Apr 20, 2017 21:11 |  #5

Kumsa wrote in post #18333331 (external link)
I might accept an offer to capture a casual, indoor, wedding event (which I've done before). However, I can't get there for a scouting check, so I'd like to prepare for the worst, in terms of lighting. I'd like to have a YN622c on 2 cameras, with the flashes positioned on a tripod to do a ceiling bounce.

Do you think it is a safe assumption that if I'm using 2 cameras, each with a YN622c, that I can switch between them and fire the same set of flashes ?

Cleveyboy, (sp?) has written an extensive user guide for the YN622 triggers. Its probably worth finding it to see what it says about your situation.

My recollection, when using Canon 600EX-RT, is the its possible to use two masters. The first has a green light and the second has a yellow or orange light but its still will control the slaves.

Godox has gone about as far as anyone by creating the X system so that a TTL slave will receive TTL signaling from any number of triggers, from different camera systems and change the slave on a shot-by-shot basis. i.e. a Canon with an XT-1c in TTL, a Sony with XT-1s, and a Nikon with an XT-1n can all share slave lights and set them to its power settings in M or get them to fire in TTL interactively.

That is the most flexible strobe lighting system I know about.

They are currently working to add Fuji and Only/Panisonic to the mix.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Kumsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
194 posts
Joined May 2010
Northern Virginia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Kumsa.
Apr 21, 2017 10:35 |  #6

Thanks all, very helpful.

- I was 90% confident this setup would work . . . but no one wants to be at an event and have things goof up.

- YN has two wireless systems (ignoring optical), and the 622c/n were the first efforts. Low cost and they do what I need. One of my flashes is the YN-685, with the internal 622 receiver, the other two rely on being coupled to a 622c. Someday, I'll consider changing it out (probably if I go with a big-dog studio strobe). Godox is really rocking it, of late.

- And, yes, I've studied Clive's excellent manual https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

T2i / 6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo 568Ex's / Yong Nuo 622 / Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Yongnuo YN-14ex
Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / Zerene Stacker
LeadershipByNumbers (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Apr 21, 2017 12:08 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #18333498 (external link)
My recollection, when using Canon 600EX-RT, is the its possible to use two masters. The first has a green light and the second has a yellow or orange light but its still will control the slaves.

I re-checked the 600EX-rts - and you are correct. Even though one of the masters, in a multiple Master setup, shows a Yellow Light (not Green), it will still trigger the off camera flashes. My mistake / caution when using this in weddings, is that this did not make me comfortable with a Yellow Light on the 2nd Master - and thus I would turn off the Master Flash on my second camera so that the hot camera would show a Green confirm light.

Thanks for this information - I always just assumed there wasn't a link because it Master Flash or Controller wasn't showing a Green confirm light.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

899 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anything unusual with using 2 cameras each with YN622c for same set of remote flashes ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.