Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 21 Apr 2017 (Friday) 23:31
Prev/next

I m not able to post in the actual forum yet

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
May 03, 2017 21:28 |  #31

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18345659 (external link)
I suppose that we're quite different. . Pedantic discussions such as this actually add a lot of joy - not only to my photography, but to my life in general. . I revel in this stuff!

You'll get no argument from me on that. I should have included an explicit "IMO". I think I make a mean guacamole, but it's a tough sell to people who snub avocados. Horses for courses.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Levina de Ruijter.
May 05, 2017 17:20 |  #32

Moose408 wrote in post #18344844 (external link)
As another example look at at the work of Gregory Crewdson. Every one of his images tells a story.

As for my photos...just because there was no caption (there is now), and you don't have an idea what's going on doesn't mean they don't tell a story. 95% of the people that see the first image can tell me what's it about before seeing the title. The 2nd one also tells a story but it is purposefully ambiguous and let's the viewer project their own personal ideas into the image.

Personally I detest storytelling in photos as well as in paintings. You have a story to tell, go write a book. I'm with OhLook and airfrogusmc here.

I looked at Crewdson's work and I'm not a fan. Don't take that personally please. I just don't like story telling in pics. A photograph shouldn't need a caption to tell me what it is I'm looking at.

As to the two pics you posted. The first I thought was a woman who was looking for her child who drowned. I thought the symbolism was rather cliché. The second I thought was about a car breaking down at the wrong spot, a deserted country road with no gas station in sight. I wondered if the fog was real or added in post.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
May 05, 2017 17:35 |  #33

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18347332 (external link)
Personally I detest storytelling in photos as well as in paintings. You have a story to tell, go write a book. I'm with OhLook and airfrogusmc here.

I looked at Crewdson's work and I'm not a fan. Don't take that personally please. I just don't like story telling in pics. A photograph shouldn't need a caption to tell me what it is I'm looking at.

As to the two pics you posted. The first I thought was a woman who was looking for her child who drowned. I thought the symbolism was rather cliché. The second I thought was about a car breaking down at the wrong spot, a deserted country road with no gas station in sight. I wondered if the fog was real or added in post.

The story-telling thing is probably dead right (by far most of the time) for photojournalism. The photo should have 'something to say' and it should be fairly clear what it is. That's a 'story'. That holds true for a whole lot of travel photography too and for environmental portraiture.

For photographs in general ... no, they mostly don't have/can't have a story. All those birds in flight ... what's the story? It doesn't mean they aren't great photographs (and ones the BIF folks could never overdose on, although the rest of us might feel we need a short break from them every now and again).

For the generality, I think the (always breakable) 'rule' should be that the photographer, if asked, could provide a coherent explanation of why the photo was taken ... and why it was shot the way that its was. A good photograph should be about something.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
May 06, 2017 07:12 |  #34

DaviSto wrote in post #18347349 (external link)
The story-telling thing is probably dead right (by far most of the time) for photojournalism. The photo should have 'something to say' and it should be fairly clear what it is. That's a 'story'. That holds true for a whole lot of travel photography too and for environmental portraiture.

For photographs in general ... no, they mostly don't have/can't have a story. All those birds in flight ... what's the story? It doesn't mean they aren't great photographs (and ones the BIF folks could never overdose on, although the rest of us might feel we need a short break from them every now and again).

For the generality, I think the (always breakable) 'rule' should be that the photographer, if asked, could provide a coherent explanation of why the photo was taken ... and why it was shot the way that its was. A good photograph should be about something.

Photo journalism is a different genre altogether and those pics usually illustrate a story, most often literally, as part of a newspaper article or essay etc. But also in photo journalism a lot of pics would not be understood without knowledge of the context. And photo journalists don't set out to tell a story. They are there were news is in the making and they only capture, or try to capture the decisive moment. Yes, the phrase has become a cliché but that doesn't make it less applicable. Because isn't that what photography, in its essence, does? Freezing a moment in time? And isn't it the photographer's job to recognise that moment? Regardless of what the subject is? Even humble bird photographers look for that exact, right moment. :-)

Of course a photograph can tell a story. But it should be implicit and not need words to explain what it's about. However, images (be they photographs or paintings) that set out to tell a story, for me, are too staged, too forced, too unnatural. And I really dislike the symbolism that is often used in this kind of story telling. In general, I think it's just silly because it's all so transparent. Like a bad movie where you know what's coming a mile ahead. That's my opinion, anyway.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 6 months ago by airfrogusmc.
May 06, 2017 09:06 |  #35

I agree with Winogrand that single photographs even in photojournalism do not tell stories. If they could there wouldn't be a need for photo essays and documentary projects. In newspapers, as you stated, there is a story with the photo or a caption or a title.

sjones
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
May 11, 2017 06:03 |  #36

Well, never thought I’d end up in the G&N Talk forum, but got linked this way via another new thread.

Anyway, yes, as has been said, photographs do not tell stories.

Context and narrative are too abysmally thin. To be sure, photographs can certainly spur an emotive reaction despite the actual dearth of facts provided by the photograph itself. And in many cases, that’s all that matters anyway.

Still, photographs by themselves are inherently deceptive, demanding assumptions without fully offering anything definitive…I suppose a counterpoint would be “Have you read Naked Lunch.”

And yes, as others have noted, photographs can illustrate a story, and they can do so in brilliant fashion. However, text is generally required to articulate the actual elements of the story: the who, what, when, why, where, and how.

Photos that inspire one to fabricate their own story are nonetheless not telling the story. I can look at a doorstop and create a very fantastical story should I be so motivated.

But should one truly believe that photos can and do tell stories, I’m not going to throw a whole lot of effort to convince one otherwise. But even if I’m wrong, and photographs can be masterful authors, I will still staunchly assert that a photograph does not need to “tell a story” to be great, or good, or even passable.

It's early; I'll reread this later to see if it's legible.

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

paulajo
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2017
Maryland, USA
Jun 07, 2017 21:34 |  #37

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18344731 (external link)
Real counter points. The work of Ansel Adams, Garry Winogrand, Edward Weston, Duane Michals, Arnold Newman. William Kline, Bill Brandt!!!!!

In 50 years the words and work of these great photographers will still be talked about and considered important.

Without a caption or an artist statement I have no idea whats going on in those photographs that you posted.

I don't think you need a caption or artist's statement! What those photos do for me is make me ask questions about what is going on! In other words it has drawn me in and for me, that makes it a compelling photograph!

Blessings,
Paula Jo

paulajo
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2017
Maryland, USA
Jun 07, 2017 21:36 |  #38

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18344878 (external link)
Again no single photograph tells a story. It can raise questions, make you think, change an opinion but it can't tell a story. As Winogrand says it can show you what something looks like to a camera.

Well, I guess it is a semantic thing then...if a photo raises questions and there is some kind of mystery there, to me that is a story!!

Blessings,
Paula Jo

paulajo
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined May 2017
Maryland, USA
Jun 07, 2017 21:38 |  #39

joedlh wrote in post #18345134 (external link)
Ok. Enough about telling a story. It's a metaphor, not to be taken literally. How about "emotionally engages the viewer" for the literal-minded.

I can accept that Joe!! I think we are splitting hairs here! Telling a story and emotionally engaging the viewer are one and the same thing to me!

Blessings,
Paula Jo

wet ­ in ­ washington
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Jun 17, 2017 22:37 as a reply to post 18334548 |  #40

Here are my rules:

1) tell a story

If you're looking a a beautiful woman who needs a story.

2) the subject should be easily ided

If you don't know what you're looking at, then that's your problem

3) remove all distractions if possible

Again, if you are looking at a beautiful woman there are no distractions.

nough said

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by icor1031.
Jul 01, 2017 20:43 |  #41

OhLook wrote in post #18334813 (external link)
Me too. Hi!

Hah! So am I.
Authored 4 books, but only 2 with a decent amount of writing.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

4,252 views & 39 likes for this thread
I m not able to post in the actual forum yet
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.