Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 22 Apr 2017 (Saturday) 13:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony A9

Grumpy_one
519 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Portland OR.
Apr 22, 2017 13:59 |  #1

I know....here goes. LOTS of discussion on this camera. My current gear list is :7D, 5DMkIII, 70-200 2.8 IS MkI, 24-70 MkII, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, TC 1.4 Hand full of yongnuo flashs, 580 II, a few point and shoots. So I've been salivating over getting the 1DXII, was just about to pull the trigger the other day. Then the announcement comes out. This after visiting a local camera store to buy my daughter her fist DSLR. I tell the guy I'm in the market for the 1DXII. He says check out the A9, should be announcing in the next six months or so. I figure I'm not waiting, going to pull the trigger on a camera who's system I've been shooting with for over 35 years. So now the announcement and the price point. I'm missing shots in between frames at 8 fps. I shoot high school sports (live games and T&I), I cover the golf, football and lacrosse programs. This is a side gig for me, I have a non photo related full time job. Should be retired in about 5 years and was going to do the photo thing to supplement my retirement. I also do seniors and family portraits and the the occasional wedding.

What I like about what I've read about the A9: 20 FPS, silent shutter, price point, dual SD card slots, no need for CF card reader
What I'm leary about what I've read: weather proofing not up to NiCan standards (I shoot frequently in the rain, 7D survives downpours nicely), getting used to a new menu, the smallness of the camera in hand while shooting (I suppose that is something that I would just have to get used too if I had too).

My favorite shooting is live sports while it doesn't net me any real money. T&I is my bread and butter. I also do the high school team posters, not a big money maker, I actually go in the hole, I've been doing composite images and everybody loves them, they are just time consuming.

My reason for buying (upgrading) from the 7D is primarily fps. In lacrosse my good shots are the ones that have the players face, ball towards the goal, and goal in frame. It just doesn't happen enough times at 8 fps from the 7D. Every game there's that one shot between frames I wish I had.

Right now I'm budgeted for the A9 and new sony 70-200. I'm not budgeted for 1DXII and NEW Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MkII, but can be for a used one.

I figure on selling the 5D3 once I have the replacement camera in hand. I would buy the 70-200 sony lens to go with the A9 if I choose that route, and an adapter to fit the other Canon lens in my arsonal.

So I'd like to hear from sport shooters what your thoughts are about the A9 incase there is something I haven't thought of. Thanks!

I shoot Canon's
Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, EFS 17-85 4-5.6 (for sale), 580EX, 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.comexternal link

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
The Great White North
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by rdalrt. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 22, 2017 15:12 |  #2

I admit, the spec list of the A9 sounds great. But for me there is more to my choice of camera/system than specs. Durability, weather sealing, battery life, ergonomics, service, lens lineup, etc. are all just as important to me as the specs. From what I have seen on these fronts from Sony, lets just say I haven't pre-ordered an A9.

I know you can use Canon long glass on the Sony with an adapter, I am still not convinced of the AF speed, accuracy, reliability and tracking vs. native Canon 1D bodies.

Not to say the A9 won't be great, in fact, I hope it is everything promised and more, but I am most definitely taking a wait and see approach.

EDIT: Another thread here on POTN discussing all this. http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​479752

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Grumpy_one
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Portland OR.
Apr 22, 2017 16:13 as a reply to rdalrt's post |  #3

Thanks I found that thread, but wanted to hear from sports ppl, being that's whats driving me towards this purchase. I have two big tournaments I'm covering in June and July, I'm hoping to have my purchase either way by then.

I shoot Canon's
Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, EFS 17-85 4-5.6 (for sale), 580EX, 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,725 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 22, 2017 22:58 |  #4

I use the 7d2 and 5d4 for sports, they fit my needs very well. If you like the 7d, the 7d2 is a better well-rounded body. The 5d4 is my favorite of all time at this point, but you will still miss shots since it isn't 10+fps.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

pat.kane
559 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Apr 27, 2017 19:25 |  #5

Grumpy_one wrote in post #18334955 (external link)
...I'm missing shots in between frames at 8 fps...

I can't imagine dealing with the number of images that 20 fps would generate. I had a noticeable increase in keepers following the upgrade to the 1D X II from the 1D X and find myself having to be mindful about the number of shots I'm taking, and this is from someone who normally shoots in 2-3 shot bursts vice long series.

If I were shooting for the paper and only looking for the 15-20 representative photos from a game, I could probably make it work; however, I'm shooting for a yearbook and MaxPreps and quantity of quality keepers is what I'm after. Too many to process and it becomes too time intensive.

It does look like an interesting camera and I also hope it proves to be everything promised.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

Grumpy_one
THREAD ­ STARTER
519 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Portland OR.
Apr 28, 2017 12:46 as a reply to pat.kane's post |  #6

Being I'm at a place that I'm upgrading from the 7D, they caught me at the right time. Might have to rent one for a week end. I'm no where near doing work for a national syndicate, just local youth and high school. But that thought has crossed my mind. I'll get 900-1100 images to cull through in one game of lacrosse (depending how many shots my son takes). I tend to take long series on shots on goal being so many times there'll be bodys in the way and always looking for that one clear shot of the shooter, goal, ball and shooters face without other players between me and the shooter. It's challenging. I keep thinking 14 FPS might be enough, but for the price difference between 1DXII and Sony A9, Sony is looking attractive.

I shoot Canon's

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Post has been edited 4 months ago by sandpiper.
Apr 28, 2017 14:46 |  #7

Whilst the 20fps sounds good, it is only available under limited conditions. For example, if you want to use AF tracking of your subject in sports, which is a common requirement for me, then the camera can only reach a max of 10fps.

Another killer, for me, is that the A9 cannot AF track beyond f/11, the focus will be locked at the first frame. This won't be of concern when shooting sports that require a fast shutter speed but is a major problem with subjects such as motorsports, where you want slow shutter speeds for pan blur, or prop blur on aircraft. Often I need f/16 or smaller, to allow the shutter speed I need without blowing out parts of the image.

I shoot a lot of action and AI servo is important to me, I wouldn't want a camera which forces such limits on me in order to use it. The A9 spec looks impressive but there are issues which don't show up on the specs sheet.

sponsored links

2,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony A9
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.