St Bean (720 AD) was grandson of the King of Leinster, Ireland, and preached among the Picts in this area. There has been a church on this site since those times. The present church is a 13th-century building, renovated in 1927 but retains many of the original features including a 'lepers' squint' (now glazed). There is a Pictish Cross under the north wall which is evidence of c. 1,300 years of Christian worship on the site.
N.B leper’s squnt = a small window in the exterior wall of some medieval churches through which lepers are believed to have viewed the service being conducted at the altar.
The Pictish cross: