Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 23 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 22:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

speed vs exposure

kckmarc
69 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 23, 2017 22:24 |  #1

the common trade off for anyone shooting sports on a budget. I've had the 7d2 for the speed only to have issues with iso tolerance and cropped sensor and considering the upgrade to 5d3 or 4 slightly slower but better low light ability. anyone made this switch? the decrease from 10fps to 6fps feel significant?

sponsored links
bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Apr 24, 2017 07:35 |  #2

Best way to feel it is set your fps to 6 on your 7d and see if you can take the reduction in speed. I imagine the noise reduction will significant too.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,714 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 24, 2017 07:48 |  #3

kckmarc wrote in post #18336448 (external link)
the common trade off for anyone shooting sports on a budget. I've had the 7d2 for the speed only to have issues with iso tolerance and cropped sensor and considering the upgrade to 5d3 or 4 slightly slower but better low light ability. anyone made this switch? the decrease from 10fps to 6fps feel significant?

I have both the 7D2 and 5D4. They make for a very complementary set. I shoot the 7D2 up to 12800 for sports and a bit higher on the 5D4, sometimes up to 25600. I have shot an entire season of basketball with the 7D2 and the only limitation I had was that with the ISO level where it was, I had to sacrifice a bit of shutter and thus some shots had motion blur in them. The 5D4 allows me that extra bit of shutter now.

This is ISO 10K and 12.8K, it is very usable for my needs. I also use some homegrown NR actions, using Noiseware as a base action. Perhaps share a few of your examples and settings you are using?

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20152016/March-9-2016/i-chxzmWW/0/X2/216A5250-X2.jpg

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20152016/Feb-25-2016/i-gnMsX2r/1/X2/216A4682-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

kckmarc
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 24, 2017 10:45 |  #4

those are 10k+ on the 7d2, wow. very nice. maybe i should work on my post production NR skills

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Apr 24, 2017 11:00 |  #5

kckmarc wrote in post #18336942 (external link)
those are 10k+ on the 7d2, wow. very nice. maybe i should work on my post production NR skills

ACR actually works pretty competently under those circumstances, so long as you nail the exposure reasonably well. I'm only using the 5D3 but routinely get beautiful results from ISO 6400, post processing the RAW file in ACR and then sharpening to taste.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,185 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 5 months ago by John Sheehy.
Apr 24, 2017 12:00 |  #6

kckmarc wrote in post #18336942 (external link)

Every camera has its inherent noise, but lots of times, noise is much more visible than it needs to be because of processing and display methods.

Just one very vivid case in point: If you have the image viewing program, "Faststone Image Viewer", load a full-res very high ISO image into it, and go to fullscreen mode. If you bring the pointer down to the left end of the screen at the bottom, a toolbar opens with a checkbox that says "Smooth". Check and uncheck this box, and look at how the noise changes in the image. Two people, using this same software, not aware of the "Smooth" option, would get very different impressions of the same image, noise-wise! These kinds of illusion are rampant in people's experiences with cameras.

As objective as imaging might at first seem, it is far from it in the way it is generally experienced.

If you make a triptych of 3 different full-resolution conversions of the same high-ISO file, one with lots of NR and no sharpening, one medium, and one with no NR and lots of sharpening, take the same 1/3 from each image to make the triptych, and then toggle the "Smooth" button again. You will see a much greater range of apparent noise than just with the single conversion. You can use the + and - keys to change the zoom ratio, and you will see that the smaller you make the full image, the worst it gets with "Smooth" turned off. Lots of folks don't even know if their processing or viewing methods have "Smooth" off or on!

Over-sharpening for the task at hand, and poor resampling methods, can both destroy an image, relative to what it can be.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Apr 24, 2017 23:20 |  #7

...I've had the 7d2 for the speed only to have issues with iso tolerance and cropped sensor and considering the upgrade to 5d3 or 4 slightly slower but better low light ability. anyone made this switch? the decrease from 10fps to 6fps feel significant?

I went to the slower 5DIII and had no issues with the fps but then I'm not your normal sports shooter. I have found that the more I shoot sports the less shots I actually take. I rarely take bursts and if I do it is usually just three or four shots. I find I get a much better keeper rate if I am more deliberate about my shots and work on perfecting my timing instead of hoping the camera catches the action.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

12Rock
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 25, 2017 13:19 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #8

amazing shots , how i wish

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,714 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Apr 25, 2017 13:24 |  #9

12Rock wrote in post #18338153 (external link)
amazing shots , how i wish

Thank you! The 2nd shot would be better if the defensive player didn't have a head coming out of his shoulder though. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Action (external link) | Focus Genie

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Apr 25, 2017 13:55 |  #10

I suppose a lot depends on what sports you are photographing and your shooting style/technique.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

ScooterShooter
Joined Feb 2015
Akron, Ohio
Jun 14, 2017 12:03 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18338162 (external link)
Thank you! The 2nd shot would be better if the defensive player didn't have a head coming out of his shoulder though. :D

And I'd like to see the ball and some feet. But colors and clarity are great.

Nikon D5300, D610 | Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G, AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED |

sponsored links

3,414 views & 5 likes for this thread
speed vs exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.