Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 22:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

weirdest thing

kckmarc
70 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 23, 2017 22:30 |  #1

I've never really shot food but i've looked up some of the crazy things you have to do. motor oil on pancakes cereal in glue etc. whats the craziest thing you've done to food to get the perfect shot?

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Dan Marchant.
Jan 19, 2018 03:12 |  #2

I have a book about food styling. The key seems to be that cooked food starts to look bad as soon as you finish cooking it (shrivels, dries out etc). So the key seems to be to under/not cook the food and then paint it with whatever bizarre mixtures you can find to make it look like you cooked it.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MidnightUK
152 posts
Joined Feb 2012
UK / GB
Jan 27, 2018 17:46 |  #3

You need to be aware of rules about this in your local area.

Its illegal in the UK (and possibly the EU as our rules usually match) to put non edible substances on food for sales images.

I presume it is considered to be misrepresentation of the product and therefore some sort of illegal fraud.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 27, 2018 17:52 |  #4

Hmmm, perhaps we have found the root cause of why food in the UK was so without merit 40 years ago...they could not make it appealing in photographs, either, as the photography would give false impressions about food quality?!

Perhaps as the food situation has so greatly improved in recent decades, the photography will upgrade itself to match, with more lenient rules about photography. After all, restaurants need to lure in the clientele with their eyes, so they will discover that the food is indeed wonderfully flavorful, to correspond with the photography.

:p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,178 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Surrey
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Box Brownie.
Jan 31, 2018 08:13 |  #5

Food photography IMO has come on in leaps & bounds...............p​ossibly because of the boom in cookery books in the past couple of decades.

MidnightUK wrote in post #18550405 (external link)
You need to be aware of rules about this in your local area.

Its illegal in the UK (and possibly the EU as our rules usually match) to put non edible substances on food for sales images.

I presume it is considered to be misrepresentation of the product and therefore some sort of illegal fraud.

No idea about the above but would surmise misrepresentation is relevant. The one thing I would like to read about is legal fraud ~ sounds dodgy to me ;)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

764 views & 0 likes for this thread
weirdest thing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Food Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.