Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets
Thread started 24 Apr 2017 (Monday) 16:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Taking dog, Labradoodle pics, looking for tips.

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Apr 24, 2017 16:14 |  #1

This weekend i am shooting multiple individual labradoodles for a local dog breeding outfit (NW Montana). The dogs will range from about 1yo-2yo.
They are medium dark brown and some have tan tufts of hair and or paws. They look like Fozzie the Bear but darker.
We will be shooting in about a 1/2 acre lawn with pine trees in the back starting at around 10:am with what is supposed to be light sprinkling rain total of .04".

I am a portrait photographer and mainly use my off camera flash and the sun for back lighting when possible.

I have been doing research for a couple of weeks but i figured that i should ask here for some shooting tips.

Am i best off shooting with my back to the sun with the dogs in direct sunlight?
Should i be using my off camera speedlight in a softbox (HHS if necessary) with scrim if needed?
Do i under expose the fur by 1/3 of a stop to keep good color?

Mode: Manual.

Aperture: I plan on shooting at F/4 with the eye in focus as their shouts are about medium in length.

Lenses: I figured that i would try to shoot with my Tamron 17-50 at 50mm for sitting shots and trying for movements shots with my 70-200 Canon on my cropped body 70D.

Poses: I plan on getting straight on shots, profile and running shots.

Am i over looking anything?

Here is a picture of one of the dogs that i took last summer/fall in AV while running (cropped). I do see that the dogs eyes are not very visible Partially due to the dog needing her hair trimmed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 7 months ago by ksbal.
Apr 25, 2017 16:40 |  #2

Personally, I'd leave the 17-50 at home and use the 70-200 for everything if it is the f2.8 version. Unless they want environmental pictures, but if they want the focus on the dog for the stills, go with the longer lens, and leave plenty of background space to keep them isolated.

The key to darker/black critters to to really evaluate the light, how it hits them, and how to light them and get the highlights in the right place so you look 3D and not a black/brown hole. Do you have some way to white balance? critical to hit exposure first and then do WB to get the proper 'brown' color the dogs are.

May want to find a local dark brown dog and try some pictures in shade, with OCF.. and be sure to shoot raw.

As you can see below, you can see the dog because of how the light highlights him, this is a three light setup.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from ksbal's gallery.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Micro5797
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Apr 26, 2017 00:13 |  #3

ksbal wrote in post #18338337 (external link)
Personally, I'd leave the 17-50 at home and use the 70-200 for everything if it is the f2.8 version. Unless they want environmental pictures, but if they want the focus on the dog for the stills, go with the longer lens, and leave plenty of background space to keep them isolated.

The key to darker/black critters to to really evaluate the light, how it hits them, and how to light them and get the highlights in the right place so you look 3D and not a black/brown hole. Do you have some way to white balance? critical to hit exposure first and then do WB to get the proper 'brown' color the dogs are.

May want to find a local dark brown dog and try some pictures in shade, with OCF.. and be sure to shoot raw.

As you can see below, you can see the dog because of how the light highlights him, this is a three light setup.

Thanks for the advice. This will be the clients first time having actual portraits done of the dogs, so i don't think that they really know the look they are going for. I had just planned on shooting a variety of shots to cover all of the bases. Then next batch of dogs that they need photographed they should have a better idea.

My Canon 70-200 is f/2.8, but on a cropped body and an older pup i am just worried that the lens may be too tight for portraits.
I will have a chance to practice on the dog that i posted a picture of above the day before the shoot, this will certainly give me a better idea.

I plan on having the dogs at lest 25" of the background for plenty of separation.

I don't think that there is any shade in the area that we are shooting, unless i use my 40" or so scrim or if it is overcast. This would only work for posed shots with my OCF. I live 4 hours away from the shoot and scheduled the shoot for when i would be in the area staying with family for the weekend. I have been to the location once in the middle of winter, so i am just going off memory.

I have a cheap $10 WB 12" card, but i find that it is not as accurate as i like. I don't have anything like the xrite passport etc.

I do see the highlights that you are talking about on the dog pic that you posted and it makes sense.

Thank you Ksbal, i appreciate the advice.

811 views & 2 likes for this thread
Taking dog, Labradoodle pics, looking for tips.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.