Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 27 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 22:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

need some help with a 1st Communion shoot... "emergency"

copmagnet82
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 27, 2017 22:57 |  #1

This weekend (April 29th), I will be taking some 1st Communion pictures for my friend. This will not be a paid assignment and it's my first time shooting an event like this. The church won't allow "outside photographers", so I'm not concerning myself with that, but she wants some family and friends pictures at the banquet. Here's my "problem"; she wants some pictures on either white or sandy background, which is not a big deal, but I'm cringing at the idea of 80 people posing and walking on my nice bright white background with their dirty shoes. So how do it approach this?

Initially, I was thinking about taping some white paper to the floor, but I'll probably go through a lot of it once it'll start ripping form people walking on it, so I don't know about that.

Second idea was to simply use white backdrop and use the banquet floor, which is dark brown hardwood, that is "distressed" from wear and tear. From what I saw it has some gloss to it, so I was worrying about reflections. Also, I am a little afraid that that contrast of brown floor and white backdrop may be too much contrast for communion pictures.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to approach the white background/floor situation.

Also, which lens would you use: 50mm, 100mm macro, or 70-200mm?

Thanks of the feedback.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 50D | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,970 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Apr 27, 2017 23:55 |  #2

Excuse me if you and your friend have covered this, but are you sure she means the floor should be white/sandy, not just the backdrop? Did she specify full-length pictures of guests? Some attending will likely be men wearing dark pants and dark shoes (because it's a formal occasion), which give you a lot of contrast right there and might ruin the mood of ethereal lightness that the client wants.

If the floor really needs a covering, then what's more durable than paper and more resistant to scuff marks is a big piece of carpet. There may still be dark baseboards to deal with.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 28, 2017 00:15 |  #3

OhLook wrote in post #18340649 (external link)
Excuse me if you and your friend have covered this, but are you sure she means the floor should be white/sandy, not just the backdrop?

well, I figured it would look nicer all white / sandy

OhLook wrote in post #18340649 (external link)
If the floor really needs a covering, then what's more durable than paper and more resistant to scuff marks is a big piece of carpet. There may still be dark baseboards to deal with.

thanks, that's a great idea :-)

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 50D | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Apr 28, 2017 01:01 |  #4

If you've got the floor in-frame then you're shooting too loose, unless you're shooting full-length formals.

If you really need to have the floor in-frame then go to your local home improvement store and get 4'x8' sheet of white paneling to put on the ground. You can duct tape it down the middle of the back then score it with a utility knife down the front and snap it in half, so you can fold it into a 4'x4' package for easier transport. Or even cut it into 2'x4' and tape together with white duct tape.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

copmagnet82
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2016
Apr 28, 2017 01:12 |  #5

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18340690 (external link)
If you've got the floor in-frame then you're shooting too loose, unless you're shooting full-length formals.

Exactly, full-length formal photos.

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18340690 (external link)
If you really need to have the floor in-frame then go to your local home improvement store and get 4'x8' sheet of white paneling to put on the ground. You can duct tape it down the middle of the back then score it with a utility knife down the front and snap it in half, so you can fold it into a 4'x4' package for easier transport. Or even cut it into 2'x4' and tape together with white duct tape.

that's another great idea, thanks :-)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 17, 2017 12:07 |  #6

For an unpaid assignment, I am not going to bring a backdrop. Let them provide the backdrop as you are providing your service for free. Just my opinion :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,235 views & 0 likes for this thread
need some help with a 1st Communion shoot... "emergency"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.