Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 28 Apr 2017 (Friday) 18:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

That Expensive Green Box

icopus
I'm not a snitch
Joined Dec 2010
In the shadows of Houston
Apr 28, 2017 18:50 |  #1

Interesting thing about this is that it is so true.

I see people with $5000 hanging around their necks set on the green box.

'I'm a pro....' :rolleyes:

You and all, please consider these....

1. While walking about from one light and shadow environment to another, I've failed many times trying to capture a flitting photo moment due to being in the wrong box. I'm more likely to capture it while in the green box, than not. It may not be worthy of NG (or for POTN), but hey, I got it! HOWEVER, once the environment is stable, I work in the appropriate box.

2. In addition, I'm still learning. While doing so, I am still not yet comfortable with living outside the green box 100% of time.

3. Maybe my wife, friend, etc. had just used it.

So before you smirk in your shirt sleeve, know that there are reasons and possibilities you have not considered before passing your self exalted judgmental bokeh on us.

Camera hit me in the face, now I have a bokeh eye.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,948 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 28, 2017 19:24 |  #2

I agree with you; there is nothing wrong with green box mode. It is hugely useful if/when I hand a DSLR to the one of the unwashed masses.

Tom

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 28, 2017 19:51 |  #3

icopus wrote in post #18341335 (external link)
You and all, please consider these....
1. While walking about from one light and shadow environment to another, I've failed many times trying to capture a flitting photo moment due to being in the wrong box. I'm more likely to capture it while in the green box, than not. It may not be worthy of NG (or for POTN), but hey, I got it! HOWEVER, once the environment is stable, I work in the appropriate box.
2. In addition, I'm still learning. While doing so, I am still not yet comfortable with living outside the green box 100% of time.
3. Maybe my wife, friend, etc. had just used it.
So before you smirk in your shirt sleeve, know that there are reasons and possibilities you have not considered before passing your self exalted judgmental bokeh on us.

I have never used the Green mode on a DSLR. Why? Because I am afraid that the camera will pick an aperture that will not give me the depth of field that I am looking for with any given image. The camera has no way of knowing what look I am going for when I frame a scene, so why would I trust it to make aperture decisions?

In fact, I worry that the only thing the camera knows (or thinks it knows) is proper exposure.......and there is a lot more to a shot than getting the exposure right.

EDIT: When I first got interested in digital photography I got a point-and-shoot, and I did use the green mode with that.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

icopus
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm not a snitch
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 4 months ago by icopus.
Apr 28, 2017 20:40 |  #4

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18341362 (external link)
I have never used the Green mode. Why? Because I am afraid that the camera will pick an aperture that will not give me the depth of field that I am looking for with any given image. The camera has no way of knowing what look I am going for when I frame a scene, so why would I trust it to make aperture decisions?

In fact, I worry that the only thing the camera knows (or thinks it knows) is proper exposure.......and there is a lot more to a shot than getting the exposure right.

If you've never used it, how do you know what it will produce? Have you ever missed a hurried shot because you were in the wrong mode? Are there good/greats shots that could be made using the full auto mode? What's wrong with intentionally getting that shot?
I'm thinking that the ones who 'never' use it are those who are never casual photogs. For them, it's a 'pro' shot or no shot at all.
I mean, full auto mode is a mode... a feature that some of you may be ignoring for the wrong reasons. Know what I mean?

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Talley
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Apr 28, 2017 21:03 |  #5

the only bad thing is u have no focus control

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Apr 28, 2017 21:04 |  #6

Heya,

It really has to do with one's perspective.

There are snapshots.
There are photographs.

There's no shame in taking casual snapshots, however this is a photography forum. That context should help with a broad perspective.

There's nothing wrong with learning. We are all still learning each time we pick up the camera.

Personally, I'm always floored that semi and professional level camera systems even have automatic modalities like Green Box and equivalents. So I tend to identify with the observation of one walking around with a $8,000+ camera system, in Green Box. But, I also respect that it's their money and time, so I don't frankly care and I move on.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

icopus
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm not a snitch
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 28, 2017 21:15 |  #7

Talley wrote in post #18341428 (external link)
the only bad thing is u have no focus control

And inevitably, I hate it when that happens!

icopus
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm not a snitch
Joined Dec 2010
Apr 28, 2017 21:34 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18341431 (external link)
... no shame in taking casual snapshots, this is a photography forum. That context should help with a broad perspective.

But certainly, we (I said tongue in cheek) share the space here with casual snapshot takers.
With that one statement, you manage to imply that this is not a place for the casual photographer. But, I'm sure you didn't mean to sound elitist.

Once we venture into the manual modes, are we not allowed to venture back lest we be downgraded again to 'snapshot taker'?

Ok... re-reading that, it sounds like I'm trying to pick a fight. I'm not. I apologize. I only want this community to recognize the widely varying levels its members are and recognize what they are or aren't aspiring to.

I mean, some of you are talking like Beemer owners talk. ... ... oops.
 :p

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Dan Marchant.
Apr 28, 2017 23:03 |  #9

It all comes down to the difference between taking photos and making photos. A camera takes photos, while a photographer makes photos. There are creative decisions in regard to depth of field and motion blur/no motion blur that need to be made when making a photo. The camera is incapable of making those decisions as it doesn't understand what image you are trying to create.

If what you want to do is take a photo then green box mode is OK. However I don't believe it is useful if you actually want to learn photography because it doesn't provide any feedback on why it selected certain settings and it doesn't allow you to conduct meaningful experiments by altering settings and seeing how they affect the resulting image. For that you need to get into Av, Tv or better yet Manual mode so that you can fiddle around and see what your changes do.

As for "pros" looking down on green box users.... if all someone wants to do it take photos then that is fine. But there really is no point in paying $3000+ for a camera with a cutting edge AF system etc to then use it in green box mode.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,898 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Apr 28, 2017 23:14 |  #10

I don't have a Green box on my camera.... But when handing it to family friends I usually put it in P mode.

Pippan
494 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Apr 28, 2017 23:29 |  #11

monty28428 wrote in post #18341500 (external link)
I don't have a Green box on my camera.... But when handing it to family friends I usually put it in P mode.

The good thing about green box mode for handing it to family friends is it returns focus to the shutter button. On P they wonder why it doesn't focus.

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,898 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Apr 29, 2017 00:59 |  #12

Pippan wrote in post #18341510 (external link)
The good thing about green box mode for handing it to family friends is it returns focus to the shutter button. On P they wonder why it doesn't focus.

As there is only P, Tv, Av and M the focus is the same in all modes.....

Bassat
5,948 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Apr 29, 2017 01:07 |  #13

monty28428 wrote in post #18341536 (external link)
As there is only P, Tv, Av and M the focus is the same in all modes.....

Say wha??..!!??
You seem to have missed the point of the thread... entirely.

Tom

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,898 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Apr 29, 2017 01:12 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18341537 (external link)
Say wha??..!!??
You seem to have missed the point of the thread... entirely.

Yes I'm and idi#t of course for pointing out there are cameras that don't have this 'feature'

Bassat
5,948 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Bassat.
Apr 29, 2017 01:20 |  #15

monty28428 wrote in post #18341540 (external link)
Yes I'm and idi#t of course for pointing out there are cameras that don't have this 'feature'

Well, of course there are cameras that don't have this feature. I'm pretty sure my 1DIV didn't have a Green Box mode. In a thread about this feature, claiming that it doesn't exist, especially when you are fully aware that it does, accomplishes exactly... what, again?

In a thread about 10,000 bhp drag-racing engines, claiming they don't exist because your Yugo doesn't have one seems just a tad off the point. :)

EDIT:
So does bringing up drag-racing engines in a Green Box thread! :)

Tom

sponsored links

10,956 views & 170 likes for this thread
That Expensive Green Box
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.