Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 01 May 2017 (Monday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to you deal with reflections in glasses?

sosaysmorvant
52 posts
Joined May 2011
South Louisiana
May 01, 2017 15:47 |  #1

I'm a newbie & did a few seniors this year for friends. One of them had glasses and I was not happy with the reflections in a lot of pictures.....especiall​y if I used a fill flash. Any advice would be appreciated.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
May 01, 2017 15:52 |  #2

I ask them to remove the glasses. An alternative is to acquire glassless frames if the subject feels uncomfortable without them. Sometime you can work the scene to minimize reflections. But that's hard with a flash.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
May 01, 2017 16:00 |  #3

Adjust lighting, camera angle, and pose to minimize the reflection of the light source in the glasses.

Depending on the nature of the image, it's very rare that I try to correct it much in post.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
May 01, 2017 16:06 |  #4

Get the flash off axis, and have the glasses wearers turn a little away from the flash side. The combination will ensure that any reflection isn't captured by the lens.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
May 01, 2017 16:16 |  #5

No sure about this but a circular polarizer helps negate reflections in windows??? Never tried it w/ flash though.

DarenM
659 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Theresa, NY
May 01, 2017 18:56 |  #6

if you slightly tip the glasses down, this often works for me

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
May 01, 2017 19:21 |  #7

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18343781 (external link)
Get the flash off axis, and have the glasses wearers turn a little away from the flash side. The combination will ensure that any reflection isn't captured by the lens.

+1. This gets it done every time.

Think of a camera-mounted speedlite being bounced off a wall to your 7 o' clock position. If you subject is facing you with their head turned slightly to their left, there would be no place for a reflection to show up in their glasses. They might getting a slight haze in their lenses, but not a true reflection.

This only becomes problematic with extremely thick lenses some people have to wear, where light refraction shows glass 'layers' unless you are 100% perpendicular to them. I have not had to photograph anyone like that yet, but I would imagine getting the flash off the camera would be the only option.

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
May 02, 2017 00:44 |  #8

I found this Joe Edelman video helpful.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=AeVbJepHXlk (external link)

Lee

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
May 02, 2017 00:50 |  #9

Some folks have the subject lift the temples a bit above the ears. Dunno, maybe that's what DarenM meant.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sosaysmorvant
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined May 2011
South Louisiana
May 02, 2017 08:23 |  #10

Thanks for the tips. That video really helped.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,964 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Oct 07, 2017 20:48 |  #11

The tipping the glasses forward by lifting the earpiece off the ear slightly works well and looks natural. They just need to lift the earpieces maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 07, 2017 21:07 |  #12

CameraMan wrote in post #18468128 (external link)
The tipping the glasses forward by lifting the earpiece off the ear slightly works well and looks natural. They just need to lift the earpieces maybe 1/8 - 1/4 inch.

Earpiece = Temple.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Oct 08, 2017 10:45 |  #13

I always watch for reflections when people are wearing glasses and try to work the light angles to minimize them. If they are unavoidable for a particular shot, I'll take the photo with the glasses, reflections and all, and then have them remove their glasses and take the same photo again. I then use the non-glasses photo to edit out the reflections in PS. Just layer it on top of the original photo, match up the eyes and mask it so that the reflections can't be seen. It only takes a few minutes and is extremely effective.

Jason
www.secondglimpse.comexternal link

sponsored links

2,669 views & 5 likes for this thread
How to you deal with reflections in glasses?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.