Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 02 May 2017 (Tuesday) 16:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New kid on the block, Nitecore USB charger for Canon batteries

ChibiM
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
May 02, 2017 16:03 |  #1

Nitecore UCN1 Dual slot charger that works via USB.
Nitecore is an established (charger) brand by now, and this looks great.

I really like the idea of having an LCD display while charging your battery. I am used to having an LCD screen while charging AA, AAA batteries. So seeing how much Voltage and mA while charging the batteries is a real nice addition. I dont believe any other camera charger has this yet? Or am I wrong? At least I have never come across one.

Works with Canon LP-E6, LP-E6N and LP-E8 batteries. (and there is a Nikon and Leica version as well)

Also they are cheaper than a regular OEM charger.

IMAGE: https://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/1479483189000_IMG_710839.jpg

What do you guys think about this?

Eos M, 5DII, and some lenses.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,816 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 02, 2017 16:06 |  #2

Looks interesting. Only $15.00 at B&H right now.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
May 02, 2017 16:09 |  #3

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18344660 (external link)
Looks interesting. Only $15.00 at B&H right now.

Yep, thats a pretty good price I believe.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 03, 2017 18:11 |  #4

This is going to take a VERY long time to charge a battery!

USB port output is at a nominal 5 volts so the charger will need to step this up to more than 8.4 volts. Also the output of USB 1 and 2 is 0.5Amps (USB 3 is 0.9 amps).

So on a USB 1 or 2 output you will be charging your battery at around 300 mA (0.3 amps) so that's about 5 and a half hours assuming no losses in the charger (and there will be) to charge one battery pack. A USB 3 should be less slow (about 0.53 amps) but even the depressingly slow Canon charger doles out 1.2 amps.

However it is cheap and could be handy in emergencies if you can leave it on overnight?

P.S. I think my maths isn't too far off the mark:oops:

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
May 04, 2017 01:00 |  #5

I dont think it's about USB1 vs USB2. Most cell phone chargers can do 1A or 2A.

Max output of the charger is 1A. Which would take the charger to fill the battery in about 1.5-2 hours. Not too bad. But I havent seen it tested so don't know when the max 1A is achieved.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
May 04, 2017 01:13 |  #6

ChibiM wrote in post #18345812 (external link)
I dont think it's about USB1 vs USB2. Most cell phone chargers can do 1A or 2A.

Max output of the charger is 1A. Which would take the charger to fill the battery in about 1.5-2 hours. Not too bad. But I havent seen it tested so don't know when the max 1A is achieved.

But if folks complain about how slow the standard Canon charger is, with 1.2A output, what will they think with the Nitecore having only 1.0A max output (83% of Canon charger current output) divided into two batteries? As one reply already puts it, "even the depressingly slow Canon charger doles out 1.2 amps."

The advised charge rate of an lithium ion is between 0.5C and 1C. The standard Canon-supplied battery is 1800mAh, so even charging the Canon battery (which has lower total capacity than many aftermarket alternative) is only 0.27C with 500mA going into it when two batteries are in the Nitecore.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
May 04, 2017 01:45 |  #7

I actually dont know if you can use both battery slots at the same time. I should double check the specs, but I dont think anybody would use these 2 different types of batteries at the same time.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
May 04, 2017 04:05 |  #8

johnf3f wrote in post #18345582 (external link)
This is going to take a VERY long time to charge a battery!

USB port output is at a nominal 5 volts so the charger will need to step this up to more than 8.4 volts. Also the output of USB 1 and 2 is 0.5Amps (USB 3 is 0.9 amps).

So on a USB 1 or 2 output you will be charging your battery at around 300 mA (0.3 amps) so that's about 5 and a half hours assuming no losses in the charger (and there will be) to charge one battery pack. A USB 3 should be less slow (about 0.53 amps) but even the depressingly slow Canon charger doles out 1.2 amps.

However it is cheap and could be handy in emergencies if you can leave it on overnight?

P.S. I think my maths isn't too far off the mark:oops:

Specs (of the UCN1): Input Power 5.0 VDC, 2.0 A (ie 10W which many people have in the form of the MAC 10W charger used for IPADs).

You don't have to connect to a USB port of a computer.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
May 04, 2017 04:28 |  #9

ChibiM wrote in post #18345833 (external link)
I actually dont know if you can use both battery slots at the same time. I should double check the specs, but I dont think anybody would use these 2 different types of batteries at the same time.

Confusing information from Nitecore:

The UCN1 has a dual port design to simultaneously charge LP-E6 or LP-E6N batteries on one side and LP-E8 on the reverse.

Then:

•Input Current: >2A
•Output Current: 1000mA*1

The User Manual:

The UCN1 supports charging batteries in both slots simultaneously

Input: DC 5V/2A
Output voltage: Slot 1 (LP-E6/LP-E6N) 8.2V±1%
Slot 2 (LP-E8) 8.4V±1%
Output current: 1000mA(MAX)

Assuming they understand the meaning of "simultaneously" I'd guess "1000mA*1" was just a poor choice and that it can charge 2 batteries simultaneously but the total output is 1000mA so only 500mA per battery.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
Post has been edited 7 months ago by ChibiM.
May 04, 2017 05:30 |  #10

That can be correct, but it can theoretically also charge 1 battery at 1000mA. And when 2 are inserted halving the current.
I just think it's weird to charge 2 different kinds at the same time. Most people (I guess) would prefer to charge 2 identical batteries simultaneously.

Edit: on the other hand they dont need to produce 2 kinds of products. So from their standpoint it might be a pro.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
May 04, 2017 10:07 as a reply to ChibiM's post |  #11

The only reason I see for taking along the UNC1 in lieu of the Canon charger is

1. ability to plug UNC1 into 12V input 5VDC 2A adapter plugged into cigarette lighter
  2. ability to plub UNC1 into 120V input 5VDC 2A wall adapter
  3. the need to charge both LP-E6/LP-E6N and the older LP-E batteries

'advantage' 2 seems to not be much of an advantage over the Canon charger, as the Canon charger's 120VAC plug folds into the charger body and there is no need for a bulky wall wart.
The UNC1 does make a nice 'travel' charger in its usefulness in a vehicle and when you are in a hotel overnight, albeit at 83% charger rate of the AC-dedicated Canon charger (3 hours charge time vs. 2.5 hours charge time). However, now that more and more cars turn off power to the cigarette lighter port when the ignition is off and the car is locked, you can no longer get a charge for devices while the car is parked and you are on foot, and the idea of 3 hour drive time to charge the single camera battery is not appealing!
And if you have both LP-E6/LP-E6N and LP-E batteries to charge, you don't have to carry two chargers, but charging two batteries takes 6 hours (ouch!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ChibiM
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jan 2015
South Holland
May 04, 2017 16:16 |  #12

I was also thinking it could be a nice addon if you have a Powerbank at hand. That way you could still charge your batteries on the go (if you don't have the money for a spare battery for example).

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
May 04, 2017 17:54 as a reply to Choderboy's post |  #13

Good point but I was looking at it from the point of view of taking less kit (I normally charge my phone off my computer). Certainly a phone charger would do the job quicker and many places have USB outputs (eg my car).

As I said "However it is cheap and could be handy in emergencies if you can leave it on overnight?". Not saying it wouldn't be useful - just not quick if you are in a hurry!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,816 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 7 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
May 04, 2017 19:23 |  #14

My cheapo portable Wasabi charger died,. so I ordered this the day I saw it. I should have one soon. I tend to leave my Canon charger at home, unless it's a vacation or some extended trip. But I always keep a small charger in my kit just in case.

I'll give little report when I get it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

alex66
202 posts
Joined Feb 2006
May 05, 2017 04:34 |  #15

ChibiM wrote in post #18346390 (external link)
I was also thinking it could be a nice addon if you have a Powerbank at hand. That way you could still charge your batteries on the go (if you don't have the money for a spare battery for example).

I carry a portable power bank along with a USB charger with me when taking cameras that I only have a couple of batteries for. Travelling I have a couple of USB charger things with 5 outputs, they will charge the tablets and phones and importantly with a load of USB chargers bought cheep of the auction sites a lot of batteries. Hotels etc quite often have a severe lack of power points so this is an ideal solution with enough batts for the main cameras I can leave them charging over night. Most of the chargers were a couple of pounds so a very low cost solution as well.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links

10,865 views & 7 likes for this thread
New kid on the block, Nitecore USB charger for Canon batteries
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.