Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 02 May 2017 (Tuesday) 22:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First trip to Africa - Suggestions/advice/comments​? Leaving in *2* days...

RonnF
Joined Apr 2005
Los Altos, Ca, USA
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by RonnF. 11 edits done in total.
May 02, 2017 22:21 |  #1

My wife and I will leaving on our first trip to Africa in less than a week. When I suggested the trip last year, she was underwhelmed but has come around to being pretty excited. We'll both be shooting primarily with a Canon 7D Mark II and a 100-400 IS II lens but will also have wide angle and macro lenses. I also bought a Canon 5D IV for a backup camera in case we encounter a problem with our 7D'S.

We're scheduled to visit the following locations:
1. Timbavati PGReserve, Kruger Park, South Africa - 2 days
2. Kapama PGReserve, Kruger Park, South Africa - 2 days
3. Sheldrick +Giraffe Center
4. Arusha, Ngorongoro Crater Conservancy, Tanzania - 2 days
5. Serengeti National Park, Tanzania (335 kms from Arusha) - 2 days
6. Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya - 2 days

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can provide on the places we will be visiting and/or staying.

We have the Canon 1.4 Extenders to be used with the Canon 100-400, but after seeing photos of how close the animals sometimes are to the vehicles, I'm wondering if they will even be needed. Does anyone have experience with using extenders in this situation?

We were bringing a third camera body only as a backup, but I'm wondering if it might make sense to put my 24-70 lens on it and have it available for anything large that gets too close to the vehicle to effectively use the 100-400. I've read cautions that changing lenses in the field should not usually be done in Africa because of the dust. Have any of you done this on a safari (used two bodies simultaneously) and is it feasible or would it be too awkward in the vehicles?

Anyway, hope any of you folks who have already made this trip will be able to give me some suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400mm 4.5/5.6 L IS II, Canon 400mm F5.6L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Set of Kenko Extension Tubes, Canon 580EX
Galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/r​fredrick (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
May 08, 2017 21:42 |  #2

Might be a bit late, but I would avoid changing lens if I can, especially when out on the game drives. You will be spending a lot of time travelling, so travelling light might be a good idea. Three bodies, three lens split between the two of you should be more than adequate. Put the 24-70 on the 5D for landscape shots, if that is something that interests you.

Make sure you have enough batteries and storage :-)

Enjoy the trip. It sounds awesome.

RonnF
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
Los Altos, Ca, USA
May 09, 2017 21:39 as a reply to RhodyPhotos's post |  #3

Thanks for your response. We're actually in our seats on British airways Flt BA0286 at SFO waiting for our 7:30 PM flight to London where we'll catch our flight to Cape Town, South Africa. I had planned to have the 24-70 on the 5D so great minds think alike. :-)
I'll probably need to go on one or two game drives before I decide whether to use the extenders.

Got to go! Thanks again for your response.

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400mm 4.5/5.6 L IS II, Canon 400mm F5.6L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Set of Kenko Extension Tubes, Canon 580EX
Galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/r​fredrick (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
May 09, 2017 22:14 as a reply to RonnF's post |  #4

Have fun and do post a link to all the pictures once you get back :)

Safe travels

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,704 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 09, 2017 23:38 |  #5

Sorry I missed this earlier.

Extender in your pocket,. there when you need them.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

851 views & 3 likes for this thread
First trip to Africa - Suggestions/advice/comments​? Leaving in *2* days...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.