Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 04 May 2017 (Thursday) 09:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gary Fong diffuser for wedding?

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
May 04, 2017 09:22 |  #1

Anyone use one at weddings? Thoughts? Sample shots with it?

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
May 04, 2017 09:26 |  #2

It's a little early for popcorn, but I'm going to whip some up.

;)

Youre not going to find a lot of love for those type plastic domes, and probably less for GF.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
May 04, 2017 09:27 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

It seems like a love/hate relationship with him and some stuff he sells. I'm not doing weddings yet, just doing lots of research before I start. You have any recommendations other than GF?

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
May 04, 2017 10:39 |  #4

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18346044 (external link)
It seems like a love/hate relationship with him and some stuff he sells. I'm not doing weddings yet, just doing lots of research before I start. You have any recommendations other than GF?

My go-to solution for on camera event photography is to bounce with my 580EXII, usually using the built in white card to kick a little light forward. I feel that this works best in many situations. I try to keep the lens at short tele focal lengths, or at least make sure I am standing back far enough that the light doesn't get too high over the subjects head. Aiming the flash back over your shoulder helps with this too.

I don't like getting too close to subjects due to perspective distortion, but if I have no choice I would use something like the Rogue Flashbender or a piece of craft foam attached to the flash and still bounce the majority of the light.

Here is an old thread regarding the lightsphere

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​354371

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
May 04, 2017 10:47 |  #5

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18346044 (external link)

Yes. Off camera lights and real modifiers.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 04, 2017 12:06 |  #6

I use the Magmod Spheres on camera at the reception with OCF.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
May 04, 2017 17:28 |  #7

I have no need for a pen holder when shooting.

Peter

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
May 04, 2017 20:45 |  #8

There's no right or wrong approach for how to light your subjects when shooting weddings....people have strong opinions, but its more of a stylistic preference than anything.

I personally find that things like the lightsphere and stoffens create light thats too flat for my tastes. I use a rogue flashbender with angular bounce flash to create directional light and shadows.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
May 04, 2017 21:10 as a reply to mystik610's post |  #9

I think I'm leaning towards the flash bender as well.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
May 04, 2017 21:30 |  #10

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18346600 (external link)
I think I'm leaning towards the flash bender as well.

Neilv's blog had some good write ups on techniques for using bounce flash to create more dramatic light and shadows. He advocates using the black foamie thing....which the flashbender is basically an expensive version of.

http://neilvn.com ...es/natural-looking-flash/ (external link)

Also grab a cheap stoffen and a way to fire your flash off camera as necessary. Weddings are very situational and you'll have to alter your approach to lighting based on the environment (i.e. boucne flash only works well if you have good surfaces to work with)

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
May 04, 2017 23:05 |  #11

I use it without the cap to try to bounce the light when using on-camera-flash.
if there is nothing to bounce, I would add the cap.

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
May 05, 2017 09:59 |  #12

Magmods are very popular amongst photographers in my locality as per a frequented Facebook page.

I've mostly turned my nose to them for two reasons:
1. Unless I completely misunderstand the nature of hard vs soft light, if you're not markedly increasing the size of the light source relative to the subject its not actually softening the light. The Fong Dong and MagMod give you maybe 2-3x the surface area as the bare flash head and also shotgun light against God knows whatever colored wall or table cloth you're standing next to while photographing.
2. You can get a pocket softbox to accomplish the same thing for much, much cheaper, that folds away inconspicuously into your camera bag. I wouldn't go with the Magsphere or Fong diffuser even if it were the cheaper option simply for the precious real estate it eats up in a backpack. https://www.amazon.com ...fRID=5TEAN7W464311A​HKQJ1Q (external link)

Yes, I've actually tried one at a wedding before.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
May 05, 2017 21:22 |  #13

We use it on occasion depending on the situation with success. You can find them used for a good price. It works for us in throwing the light a lot softer when we have to use direct flash with nowhere to bounce.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 06, 2017 10:42 |  #14

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18346040 (external link)
Anyone use one at weddings? Thoughts? Sample shots with it?

I went with the MagSphere to try it out for direct on-camera flash use for when you can't use off-camera or strobes. I liked it at first, but I had to be realistic and try it versus simply using a flash bender (bounce source) and simply using it as bare flash with the FEC of the ETTL dialed down as fill light only (not key) and the blends are mostly the same, so the MagSphere really doesn't do much compared to bare flash when used as fill light. And when using it as a bounce item, it just takes away light output and throw a wee bit forward. It's not really softer light through and it does not wrap around better or anything, the physical size just isn't there for those effects. Ultimately I like the system for its gels and easy to changing things out, but I wouldn't use the Sphere, I'd only go for the system for fast changing gels and/or grids if you need directional colored light.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Post has been edited 7 months ago by Amadauss.
May 06, 2017 13:16 |  #15

MalVeauX wrote in post #18347774 (external link)
I went with the MagSphere to try it out for direct on-camera flash use for when you can't use off-camera or strobes. I liked it at first, but I had to be realistic and try it versus simply using a flash bender (bounce source) and simply using it as bare flash with the FEC of the ETTL dialed down as fill light only (not key) and the blends are mostly the same, so the MagSphere really doesn't do much compared to bare flash when used as fill light. And when using it as a bounce item, it just takes away light output and throw a wee bit forward. It's not really softer light through and it does not wrap around better or anything, the physical size just isn't there for those effects. Ultimately I like the system for its gels and easy to changing things out, but I wouldn't use the Sphere, I'd only go for the system for fast changing gels and/or grids if you need directional colored light.

Very best,

With the sphere, we would never use it for fill or bounce. Don't think that was ever the intent for it. The main goal for us as far as the sphere is to use it with the key, mostly straight on. Just gives for us a better softer light on the face. ie we are at a wedding and the bride grabs us to get a shot of her with whomever. Can't bounce and the light is not great in the room. The sphere works great in that instance. Especially if she has been running around and now the makeup is not the best and any direct light will show off all those imperfections or shiny face you might get . The sphere just softens it and throws it out a little better to get more coverage with the light.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

sponsored links

4,681 views & 28 likes for this thread
Gary Fong diffuser for wedding?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.