Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 04 May 2017 (Thursday) 09:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gary Fong diffuser for wedding?

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by airbutchie.
May 24, 2017 09:58 |  #31

I can honestly admit that I've used the GF diffuser on a few weddings and events, back in the day... It did it's job well under the right circumstances and produced some great shots... But it did get 'top heavy' on my Canon 580EXII Speedlite, to the point I was scared it was gonna snap the flash head... So I switch to the Stofen diffusers... If I do shoot weddings/receptions today, it'll be a mix of OCF's and hot-shoe speedlites (with stofen diffusers) to illuminate the room and subject(s)...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
dballphotography
488 posts
Joined Sep 2012
UK
May 24, 2017 10:05 |  #32

I normally just bounce and use sto-fens. To be fair I use natural light as much as i can get away with. I have though just been given the latest GF diffuser... didn't cost me anything so will give it a go.

Dave
1 x Nikon D810 - 1 x Nikon D750 - Nikon 70-200 2.8G - Nikon 24-70 2.8G - Sigma 35mm 1.4Art - Sigma 50mm 1.4Art- Nikon 85mm 1.4G - Lots of lights and other stuffs.
www.dballphotography.c​om (external link)

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Jun 13, 2017 14:18 |  #33

I just got one with some speed lights I bough as a package. Just did some test and I don't like it at all. I rather bounce or use something else.

No contrast when using the Light Sphere on my test. Also tried it with my daughter and it looks just like direct flash, just a bit softer.

All images are SOOC.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

MBB89
234 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Jun 13, 2017 19:30 |  #34

Honestly the bounce card and flash pointed 70 degrees or so up (obviously depends on focal length and your distance) will work as well or better than these things. You can't make a tiny light source as good as a big one.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Jun 13, 2017 20:43 |  #35

Lots of threads here describe what the fong does, and more importantly what it doesn't do. It doesn't do anything to increase the size of the light source unless you have adjacent bounce surfaces. If you have adjacent bounce surfaces you don't really need the fong.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 14, 2017 00:08 |  #36

I use the spinlight 360 and Joe Demb flipit. In venues where the is little surfaces to bounce from I use it as an index card. I do prefer the Demb flipit due to smaller size and less weight. For rooms with lower ceilings I'll bounce flash and direct the flash for some directional light.

I see absolutely no point in using Stofen's as your just killing perhaps 1/2 stop or more light with no increase in the light source for softer light. Gary Fondongs are heavy tupperwear containers and can provide fill but will not provide dynamic direction bounced light.

Last week I saw a photographer do a family session at a beautiful beach. Outdoors in glorious light where it was a nice overcast day with no direct sun. She was using a stofen with her flash head @ 45 degree angle. Her concept and understanding of light was simply nonexistent. Not sure of her style of work but that was a perfect day to shoot and she was using a stofen directing flash 3-5 feet above her subjects head. I dont even think that provided a small catchlight.

When I purchased my fuji EF-X500 flash the flash came with a "fuji" stofen cap. I knew Fuji has been behind the times with their horrible flash units but their "new tech" HSS/TTL flagship came with a useless piece of plastic. I'm not sure why they produce such ineffective plastic "stofen" products still.

I urge folks to experiment and use a tool that helps direct flash to other surfaces. I'd even suggest a white piece of paper and a rubber band before paying for flash modifiers designed to make light bombs instead of strategic methods of bouncing light.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
Jun 14, 2017 13:12 |  #37

AlanU wrote in post #18377997 (external link)
Her concept and understanding of light was simply nonexistent.

LMAO! :lol:

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Jun 14, 2017 15:19 |  #38

erikfig wrote in post #18377628 (external link)
I just got one with some speed lights I bough as a package. Just did some test and I don't like it at all. I rather bounce or use something else.

No contrast when using the Light Sphere on my test. Also tried it with my daughter and it looks just like direct flash, just a bit softer.

All images are SOOC.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by erikfig in
./showthread.php?p=183​77628&i=i228872206
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

I agree with your example and what you get in that test. And I want to hire you to sell for me. Using a stuffed bear that does not grease up after dancing all night showing a lot of shine if going direct, have a ceiling that's 9 feet away where you can bounce which seems to be the case here, or going direct with the fong where I might have changed my settings a bit on the flash, this is a great example to state its not needed.

I think this was on another thread and the thought of using it was for when you cannot bounce light and have little option but the flash on camera or some type of reflector on the flash itself. And no I do not endorse or work for Fong. And yes Fong probably makes 40 dollars on the 45 dollar item he sells, welcome to America, but when we cannot bounce light anywhere, its at night, and that bride comes over with her hubby after dancing all night and wants a shot of her and her mom hugging, I want and need to get some soft light on the subject, it works for us.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 14, 2017 17:54 |  #39

erikfig wrote in post #18378373 (external link)
LMAO! :lol:

I'll be honest and say as a newbie I bought a clone GF Fongdong product. Equally as heavy as the "original" and equally an accessory that is truly a waste of money.

I urge anyone considering wasting their money on a GF Fongdong to get a piece of paper from a note pad (the free ones your local real estate agent leaves as advertisement at your door way LOL) and a rubber band that holds together your brocolli you just bought from your grocery store LOL and attach it to your speedlight and start learning to bounce!!

For outdoors direct flash is all that is necessary really...

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Jun 14, 2017 18:12 |  #40

AlanU wrote in post #18378555 (external link)

I'll be honest and say as a newbie I bought a clone GF Fongdong product. Equally as heavy as the "original" and equally an accessory that is truly a waste of money.

I urge anyone considering wasting their money on a GF Fongdong to get a piece of paper from a note pad (the free ones your local real estate agent leaves as advertisement at your door way LOL) and a rubber band that holds together your brocolli you just bought from your grocery store LOL and attach it to your speedlight and start learning to bounce!!

For outdoors direct flash is all that is necessary really...

I don't use Gary Fong products but have all sorts of expensive modifiers. Gary Fong doesn't charge any more than the other guys. Yes you can replicate the effects of the expensive modifiers with stuff in your kitchen and garage and I did all that when I was first starting out.....but these Macguyver solutions are not at all practical if you're doing serious shooting. PITA to throw that stuff together in the middle of shooting, and doesn't hold up to the abuse of a typical shoot. The benefit of the expensive stuff is that you can slap it on quickly, pack it easily, and will last a long time. I've had many of my modifiers for years.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 14, 2017 18:36 |  #41

mystik610 wrote in post #18378569 (external link)
I don't use Gary Fong products but have all sorts of expensive modifiers. Gary Fong doesn't charge any more than the other guys. Yes you can replicate the effects of the expensive modifiers with stuff in your kitchen and garage and I did all that when I was first starting out.....but these Macguyver solutions are not at all practical if you're doing serious shooting. PITA to throw that stuff together in the middle of shooting, and doesn't hold up to the abuse of a typical shoot. The benefit of the expensive stuff is that you can slap it on quickly, pack it easily, and will last a long time. I've had many of my modifiers for years.

Joe Demb flip it I own is extremely durable and it's about 8yrs old. I still use it today even though it's tired. The "Flip it" is light weight unlike the flash bender rogue.

Flipit you can use it to direct light, use it as an index card or flip it backwards and get direct flash instantly with no interruption of a card blocking like a scrim.

My point is GF Fondong is a joke displaying that your throwing flat fill light only inefficiently. By all means eat batteries and perhaps flat lifeless fill is required ???? GF lightsphere throws light with no direction with no dimension. Stofen's also is a great example of displaying to the public of no concept of how light works. Rather harsh words but these products do not increase the size of it's light source.

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited 6 months ago by shaunmcfd.
Jun 14, 2017 18:58 |  #42

I shot the wedding last weekend and ended up bouncing where I could and using a cheap diffuser at other times. Both ways worked just fine when needed. I think I will wait on the GF and continue to learn bouncing it and the diffuser.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

andrewbowser
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2017
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Jun 26, 2017 14:53 |  #43

Im a fan of straight bounced flash with no modifiers...

Andrew Bowser Photography
www.andrewbowser.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,659 views & 28 likes for this thread
Gary Fong diffuser for wedding?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.