Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 06 May 2017 (Saturday) 16:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Minolta AF 70-210/4, reviewed by Amamba

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Amamba (showing now: Amamba)
Overall Rating7.5
Overall Image Quality8
Value for Money9.5
Bokeh10
Sharpness8
Contrast7
Focusing7
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use8.5
Got What I Expected7
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Minolta AF 70-210/4

Amamba
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
SE MI
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Amamba.
May 06, 2017 16:21 |  #1

This is a 30+ year old lens, so most of the negatives would be common for all of the lenses from that era. And to get the negatives out of the way: it's large, heavy (for a mirrorless user, anyway), unstabilized, with a screwdrive motor that is somewhat noisy and not fast (not slow either, though). Some CA, some loss of contrast in some lighting situations (again, typical for a lens released in 1985, and easy to fix in post.) It's sharp, but not super sharp. Out of all these cons, the only two that really impact how I use the lens are weight / size and the lack of stabilization.

Now the pros. The lens is known for it's beautiful creamy bokeh, and wonderful colors, which were the two primary reasons I bought it. It did not disappoint. I use this lens for portraits, and it's been good enough that I didn't buy a 85mm prime. Also, constant f4 is a plus.

I would not recommend the Beercan as a general purpose tele, unless you have a body with IBIS and don't mind carrying a DSLR size lens around. But as a portrait lens, it shines.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear Listexternal link

386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Minolta AF 70-210/4, reviewed by Amamba
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.