Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 06 May 2017 (Saturday) 22:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help choosing a new camera

jgirlholly
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017
May 06, 2017 22:21 |  #1

Hi-
I'm new here. I am not a professional photographer, and really only dabble in photography when I am traveling. My current camera was purchased for the sole reason that it was waterproof and I like to go snorkeling while traveling. I will be traveling to South Africa this summer and am needing a new camera. What I need (and forgive my probably wrong photography vocabulary): SUPER zoom, fast shutter speed so I can take pictures super fast. I am not opposed to switching lenses, but I need to know how easy it is to switch them and how fast they can be switched. (If I see an elephant at one place 10 yards away, then a lion 15 seconds later that is 100 yards away, will I be able to switch lenses fast enough?) The point-and-shoots with super zooms I could just zoom in and out without changing lenses. I've looked at some camera kits that come with multiple lenses, but I don't know what they mean. 18-55 mm lens? 75-300 lens? Pardon my ignorance, I just don't understand everything I've read on various Websites, and I'm hoping someone can put it in laymen's terms for me. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it, so cost is a concern. (Definitely less than $500, prefer more around the $300-$400 range.) Thanks in advance for any help.

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
May 06, 2017 22:44 |  #2

If you're looking for something under $500, than it is going to be something that's considered fixed lens "bridge camera". There are some that do claim super zooms: they all claim equivalences to some conventional standards. I'm still dubious about how well they are about image stabilization. But yes, within this price point, you're looking at a fixed zoom lens. The Nikon B700 gets good reviews, and from what I can see it does have some good intro standards (RAW, manual exposures, wifi/NFC). It is limited to the lens and is just a contrast detect focus (DSLRs have faster phase detect focus).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

jgirlholly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017
May 06, 2017 23:01 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #3

Thanks for your reply. I have found a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with multiple lenses--an 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm for less than $500. Also, the same camera with the 18-55 lens, 58 mm wide angle lens, and a 2x telephoto lens for less than $500. I don't know what those lens numbers mean, though, so I don't know if they will give me what I need. I will check into the Nikon.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
May 06, 2017 23:17 |  #4

It's looking like your searches do have some good deals with the intro Canon DSLR and lenses. 58mm isn't a wide angle by any format's standard. The 18-55mm is the standard kit lens for a Rebel DSLR. 75-300 is also a popular ef-s lens. There are some limitations in that they have a more limited aperture speed (they won't be quite as "fast" as the high end). I would look for a zoom that's in-between the 18-55 to 75-300...the claim that a 58mm is wide angle is enough to make me think it's a dud.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,718 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
May 06, 2017 23:45 |  #5

that second kit doesn't seem very good the 58mm wide angle, and 2X telephoto are just junk add ons to the end of the lens...

the higher the focal length number the closer you can get...so an 18mm shot would be wide and include more scenery...a 300mm shot would be tight and better for wildlife

the 75-300mm is considered to be one of the worst canon lenses, but for your budget there's not much in the longer lens category that could fit...you could get a 55-250STM for a bit more than $200, but then you have to find a body and wider lens for a cheaper amount of money

you could get a refurbished SL1 with 18-55mm and 75-300mm for $329...not sure how that body would compare to the t6 though

a bridge camera with a super-zoom may be the best suggestion though

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Archibald.
May 07, 2017 00:00 |  #6

jgirlholly wrote in post #18348115 (external link)
Thanks for your reply. I have found a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with multiple lenses--an 18-55 mm and 75-300 mm for less than $500. Also, the same camera with the 18-55 lens, 58 mm wide angle lens, and a 2x telephoto lens for less than $500. I don't know what those lens numbers mean, though, so I don't know if they will give me what I need. I will check into the Nikon.

The Rebel is an excellent camera, and the 18-55mm STM lens is very sharp. The numbers refer to the focal lengths. It is a zoom lens. By turning a ring on the lens, you can quickly go from 18 to 55 and all the settings in between. And "focal length" means how much of the scene the lens takes in, and how it makes far away things look closer.

For the Rebel, a focal length of about 30 is considered "normal", very roughly what the eye might see. Well, that is what they say, but cameras don't see the way humans do. Anyway, as a kind of reference, remember 30 (30 millimeters) means normal (for the Rebel and similar cameras).

Then 18 mm is wide angle. It takes in way more than the normal setting does. So if you are intending to take in a sweeping vista, use the wider settings, down to 18. In the store you can check out how these lenses work and that will make it much clearer.

So obviously, if 18 is wide, then going to larger numbers like 55 mm is narrower. The narrower settings are called telephoto, and make far away things look bigger. They work like telescopes.

The 75-300mm lens is a much stronger telephoto than the 18-55mm. It is called a telephoto zoom. At the 300mm end you can bring far away objects much closer. The only problem is that this lens, the 75-300mm, has a very bad reputation as giving poor image quality. It is cheap, but not very good.

A better choice, if you want to go with the Rebel, is the 55-250mm STM lens. It doesn't cost very much compared to many other tele-zooms but delivers good image quality. It might still put you over your budget, though.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Archibald.
May 07, 2017 00:03 |  #7

DreDaze wrote in post #18348134 (external link)
a bridge camera with a super-zoom may be the best suggestion though

The Rebel is an excellent camera. But considering where you are at, I think I might agree with Dre that a superzoom bridge camera might be more suitable for your needs.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

jgirlholly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017
May 07, 2017 09:35 |  #8

Archibald wrote in post #18348139 (external link)
Then 18 mm is wide angle. It takes in way more than the normal setting does. So if you are intending to take in a sweeping vista, use the wider settings, down to 18. In the store you can check out how these lenses work and that will make it much clearer.

So obviously, if 18 is wide, then going to larger numbers like 55 mm is narrower. The narrower settings are called telephoto, and make far away things look bigger. They work like telescopes.

The 75-300mm lens is a much stronger telephoto than the 18-55mm. It is called a telephoto zoom. At the 300mm end you can bring far away objects much closer. The only problem is that this lens, the 75-300mm, has a very bad reputation as giving poor image quality. It is cheap, but not very good.

A better choice, if you want to go with the Rebel, is the 55-250mm STM lens. It doesn't cost very much compared to many other tele-zooms but delivers good image quality. It might still put you over your budget, though.

Thank you! This "tutorial" makes so much sense to me and now I feel a bit more informed as to what the numbers mean!

jgirlholly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2017
May 07, 2017 09:48 |  #9

Thanks everyone for your replies! You have given me some great information! So with a bridge camera, how much of a difference will I notice between a 50x and a 60x zoom? I will definitely be using a tripod, so I have no concern over the length of zoom and image stabilization. Would I be better off with a higher MP and do some photo editing when I get home? Thanks!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
May 07, 2017 10:24 |  #10

jgirlholly wrote in post #18348366 (external link)
Thanks everyone for your replies! You have given me some great information! So with a bridge camera, how much of a difference will I notice between a 50x and a 60x zoom? I will definitely be using a tripod, so I have no concern over the length of zoom and image stabilization. Would I be better off with a higher MP and do some photo editing when I get home? Thanks!

You should just go into a store and have a look at some cameras to see how they work. Then you can see the difference between 50x and 60x zooms.

You mention a tripod. Tripods are a good idea if you are into serious photography or doing special things. But when you mention tripod, it gives a different message than the other things you are saying. Will you be on solid ground when doing your shooting of lions and elephants? Or will you be in a vehicle? A tripod won't be much good in a vehicle. Plus, a good tripod will eat up your budget and leave nothing for your camera.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
May 07, 2017 12:42 |  #11

Zoom levels tell you nothing about focal length, and that is what you need to know for any stabilization questions.

A 1mm to 50mm is a 50x zoom, for example.

A 20-1000mm zoom will require less stabilization than a 100-5000mm zoom, both being a 50x bridge camera lens.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,574 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 07, 2017 12:54 |  #12

Canon SX60HS.

Tom

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
May 25, 2017 02:49 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #13

It happens to be that I have a DSLR camera and also a bridge camera Canon SX40HS. Yes; it's an older model but newer models like SX50HS and SX60HS are not much better regarding the focus speed. I like everything about this camera except low light performance and focus speed.
You say you want to take pictures super fast.
If the lion will be lying after his lunch I suppose you'll be able to focus on him and shoot some frames. But forget about focus tracking a running or even walking animals with a bridge camera with it's contrast detection focus. That was my main reason to get myself a decent DSLR camera.
I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter but if you decide to go DSLR route I strongly advise you to join Canon camp. If you look as a whole package, Canon is a better deal.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
May 25, 2017 05:27 |  #14

If you live in the States, Canon offers some deals on refurbished equipment, and right now are offering good Memeorial Day discounts.

Go to https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...-cameras?WT.mc_id=C1261​49 (external link)

I see a EOS Rebel T6 EF-S 18-55 and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Refurbished for $360 and a T6i with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM and 55-250 IS STM, again refurbished, for $560.

Refurbished from Canon means the cameras are checked out when returned, they are virtually like new in appearance, come with all normal accessories, have a return privilege (I forgot how long, maybe 30 days??) and have the same warranty as new. In the case of my 60D it had 40 (more or less) clicks on the shutter. Probably something the purchaser found intimidating and decided to return. Legally such equipment can't be sold as new. Demo models in stores when returned often become refurbs. You can search these forums and find many very positive comments about refurbs from Canon.

Arunachalam
Joined Jul 2017
Sep 22, 2017 02:23 |  #15

What would you suggest for migrating from Cannon Powershot HS280 to DSLR?

sponsored links

1,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help choosing a new camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.