Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 May 2017 (Sunday) 04:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DsR- why does it have an [A+] setting?

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Post has been edited 4 months ago by I Simonius.
May 07, 2017 04:19 |  #1

why does the Canon 5DsR have a'A+' setting? (and why does it have a tiny indent next to it?)

I have never used it but wonder what the difference is between that and 'P'

I suspect it is just for jogs but can't really see the point-why did Canon include it in a high MP camera like the 5D? Who is that setting included for, what's the target user?

I only use ''Av' or 'M' settings (or the Cfn settings but they are also derived from 'Av') - I hadn't actually noticed the 'A+' setting until today I suddenly thought "why one earth did they put that there (and why does it have a tiny indent next to it)" - so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks on here.

;)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
May 07, 2017 05:03 |  #2

I Simonius wrote in post #18348210 (external link)
why does the Canon 5DsR have a'A+' setting? (and why does it have a tiny indent next to it?)

I have never used it but wonder what the difference is between that and 'P'

I suspect it is just for jogs but can't really see the point-why did Canon include it in a high MP camera like the 5D? Who is that setting included for, what's the target user?

I only use ''Av' or 'M' settings (or the Cfn settings but they are also derived from 'Av') - I hadn't actually noticed the 'A+' setting until today I suddenly thought "why one earth did they put that there (and why does it have a tiny indent next to it)" - so I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks on here.

;)

Page 80.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by I Simonius. 2 edits done in total.
May 08, 2017 02:36 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18348220 (external link)
Page 80.

sure that explains the difference between that and P but doesn't answer the real question I had which is why the target market for the 5DsR would want or need the <A> mode,["In the <A> mode, all you do is point and shoot "] i.e. why would you buy the 5DsR of all cameras, and use it as a a point-and-shoot camera?

I would have thought the <A> setting was redundant for the target market

Nor does it explain the indent on page 80 AFAICS
;)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
May 08, 2017 02:59 |  #4

I Simonius wrote in post #18348922 (external link)
sure that explains the difference between that and P but doesn't answer the real question I had which is why the target market for the 5DsR would want or need the <A> mode,["In the <A> mode, all you do is point and shoot "] i.e. why would you buy the 5DsR of all cameras, and use it as a a point-and-shoot camera?

I would have thought the <A> setting was redundant for the target market

Nor does it explain the indent on page 80 AFAICS
;)

I really don't understand what your problem is here. Why shouldn't a 5DSR owner use the A+ mode? You might as well argue that they shouldn't be using "P" "AV" and "TV" either. Why would anyone in their right mind want to use a (semi)-automatic exposure mode when they can set the exposure manually?

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,948 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 08, 2017 06:40 |  #5

Everything on modern dSLRs is a bow to someone. Nobody (guessing?) regularly uses every feature on any camera. My first camera had no user settable options; it didn't even have an on/off switch. I don't use every feature on my washing machine, either.

Tom

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
May 08, 2017 09:46 |  #6

My ancient Mamiya C330 has a lens selector focus scale... I never really use it because I never think to look at it.

Full auto settings are handy for when you're passing a camera off to someone who isn't familiar with that specific model. I am good at getting my camera into the settings I want to produce the results I expect out of it. However I am not remotely as quick or able to set a friends camera of the same model... The fool uses factory defaults! Its crazy...

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by I Simonius. 2 edits done in total.
May 08, 2017 14:27 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #7

not sure I really have a problem-just curious, sorry to upset you

I'm not saying a 5DsR owner shouldn't use it- just wondered WHY.

I find it hard to imagine someone buying the 5DsR (which requires a certain degree of tech ability to use well) to use on full auto and jpgs..jus saying

If you're one who did , no offence meant

sjones
Goldmember
2,189 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
May 08, 2017 14:41 |  #8

You might want to look over this recent thread:

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1480114&​page=1

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

hobinsohn
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
May 08, 2017 14:47 |  #9

why would they make automatic Porsche?

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
May 08, 2017 15:01 |  #10

sjones wrote in post #18349320 (external link)
You might want to look over this recent thread:

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1480114&​page=1

thanks interesting discussion

I am still curious though why some one would buy a 50MP camera and use the green box, but I am more curious what Canon's thoughts were when including it- they must have had the discussion at some point. One can only speculate ...

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
May 08, 2017 15:01 |  #11

hobinsohn wrote in post #18349328 (external link)
why would they make automatic Porsche?

yeah good point....
;)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
May 08, 2017 15:06 |  #12

Sometimes you see something and don't have much time to think about it before taking a photo.

Personally I keep my 7D bodies setup with the last custom setting notch on the dial as a general 'full auto' one that should be good enough for most conditions. I find it far easier to effectively turn the camera on and slam the dial 'all the way to the end'. (The camera is on M more often than not, and the motion of flicking it on and turning the dial to C3 always felt easier and more reliable than turning it on and getting it to the green box. C1 and C2 will also get set back to the 'auto everything' if they're not needed for something else, increases the odds of me being on a setting that gets 'a reasonable shot' of something interesting that is happening on horribly short notice.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,545 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
May 08, 2017 15:54 |  #13

Did the 5D3 have this setting?
Does the 5D4?

I never noticed in either case.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
May 08, 2017 19:13 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18349365 (external link)
Did the 5D3 have this setting?
Does the 5D4?

I never noticed in either case.

Me neither - which is why when finally I did I was curious...and that funny little indent next to it-what IS that about?
:)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
May 08, 2017 21:17 |  #15

Which "little indent" are you talking about exactly? Has been awhile since I briefly held one, but I don't recall any indent or anything on the dial.

Skimming the manual I do see it drawn with a little mark in a few spots - But that appears to be the marking of the selection indicator beside the dial.

sponsored links

4,527 views & 17 likes for this thread
5DsR- why does it have an [A+] setting?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.