Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 08 May 2017 (Monday) 13:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Great American Eclipse, not so Great prep.

naanod
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2017
May 08, 2017 13:43 |  #1

Recently picked up the Daystar Instruments Camera Quark (H-Alpha Prominence model) in preparation for the August 2017 eclipse. Can't seem to get anything but a red dot when I point it at the sun, any tips?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 08, 2017 14:17 |  #2

If I were you I would contact the Daystar company and see what you might be doing wrong .

pdxbenedetti
Joined Jul 2015
Salt Lake City, United States
May 08, 2017 17:05 |  #3

MalVeaux is the expert around here for this kind of stuff, but things that stand out to me would be your exposure, ISO, and focal length. At such a short focal length you're not going to get a tremendous amount of detail, you just can't resolve it. I would also lower your ISO to 400 or 200 (never shoot at the "in between" ISO's like 1250) and shoot faster exposures (like 1/100 or faster) or even record video. You need to be stacking hundreds or thousands of exposures to bring out any kind of detail, easiest way to do that is record video at 30 fps for a few minutes, a minute video at 30 fps is 1800 frames, load that video into software like PIPP, registax or autostakkert and then have it extract the individual frames, analyze the frames, and then stack the best 75% or so. You've shot 1/25 exposures at ISO 1250 and are blowing out highlights, which in the case of imaging something like the sun is basically everything. I'm not a 100% certain on this, but generally you want your histogram peak to be less than half exposed to keep highlights in check and preserve those details.

flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
Facebook (external link)

SiriusDoggy
Joined Aug 2006
May 08, 2017 21:26 as a reply to pdxbenedetti's post |  #4

All very good advice.
Except for the eclipse you'll want to shoot stills because the moon will be moving across the surface of the sun over the course of a minute or so.

You ISO is way too high and you are over exposed. At this exposure it's difficult to tell if you've achieved focus. It's possible you may need an extension tube but unlikely. I think this device is designed to be attached to the lens exactly like you have it.

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

SiriusDoggy
Joined Aug 2006
May 08, 2017 21:29 |  #5

BTW, Better to be figuring this out on May 8th instead of August 20th.

Canon 5D Mark II & Mark III 50mm 1.4, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-104 4L, 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, 100-400mm 5.6-6.3L, 600mm 4L, 24mm 3.5 T/S L, 16mm 2.8 Zenitar Fisheye, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 85mm T1.5 Cine set

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
May 08, 2017 23:26 |  #6

Starting with the obvious - Did you have it plugged into a suitable 5V source and wait for the LED to turn green ? Your photo doesn't show a power source. If you are using one of the portable phone charger things, I found that they kept turning off when the Quark got to temperature.
Set your exposure from the red histogram peak. The others and the luminance histogram and the camera meter will be confused by the pure red light.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

naanod
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2017
May 10, 2017 13:42 |  #7

Thanks all! I'll give it another go when the weather clears up here.

sponsored links

991 views & 1 like for this thread
Great American Eclipse, not so Great prep.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.