Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 10 May 2017 (Wednesday) 12:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Last wedding....

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,414 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Post has been edited 5 months ago by SMP_Homer.
May 10, 2017 12:30 |  #1

After 200+ weddings, health issues have forced me to give this up. Doctor says that it may be temporary, but would at least cover the 2017 season. He also said to brace myself to give it up totally...

Nerve damage, major tingling from neck to left hand
some on right arm
lots on left leg

Biggest issue is gripping stuff, both hands are bad, left is worse.
the longer I stand, the more the left leg feels like its asleep, and the harder it is to walk and maintain balance

This will be monitored for the next few months, and then there will be a surgery discussion if the doc thinks it will help. he has even thrown the words "quality of life" around a few times. There was also a mention of me losing my driver's license.

Not asking for sympathy or anything like that... a lesson for many I'm sure.

If your doctor says don't do it, listen to him. I went to what is now my last wedding against his recommendation that I don't do any weddings until he clears me. i thought some rest ahead of time and meds on the day of would help.. It doesn't.
The only good thing I did is bring a 2nd shooter - the couple wasn't paying for it, but I thought I should have that safety net. I also thought that the doctor was exaggerating the issue, and that I was a lot closer to being Superman than he gave me credit for. My macro lens dropped to the floor on a swap. At least the 5D it was attached to was strapped to me. There was also a close call with a lightstand when I stumbled walking by. Church started great, and the first time I crouched down for some shots, I had a hard time getting up, and spent the next hour very slow to move around and keep up with what was going on.

After the nightmare that was Saturday, I spent most of the next 2 days in a very emotional state, and finally penned an email to send out to my wedding couples for the rest of the season.

Listen to your body. Listen to your doctor. And really, listen to your wife as well - that one hurts saying the most.
I didn't do any further damage to myself, physically at least. Embarrassed myself mostly. And I don't think I did anyone any good but trying to tough this out.

I've never missed a wedding. I've worked through broken toes. Colds. Sprained ankle. Headaches. I've missed funerals and birthdays.
And having to tell 17 brides that I'm not fit to be there for them really hurts.

I've already received responses from some. A couple are mad. I can understand that. Many more have said nice things back. Everyone of them, I have already reached out to local photographers to see what can be done to help them. I've also asked for an email address to e-transfer back all deposits.

Health is a precious thing.

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 10, 2017 13:58 |  #2

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you work through it and recover.

I'm on a break due to a couple of injuries as well, but they're sports injuries that should recover enough to do weddings in a year or two. Whether I go back or not is the question... it's a heck of a lot of work and effort, and unless you're doing at least a dozen weddings a year you don't really get into the swing of things. IT work is much easier to get, pays better, etc.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 11, 2017 12:02 |  #3

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope your recovery is swift.
No one realizes how hard weddings are until you do them.

Best wishes on a full recovery

AND you are 100% correct about you health.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
May 12, 2017 08:02 |  #4

I feel for ya bro! I used to be a DJ. All the heavy equipment I lugged around. Upstairs gigs were a killer. And when I got a new set of turntables that weighed 108 lbs, that made it harder.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,414 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
May 12, 2017 08:50 |  #5

tim wrote in post #18351190 (external link)
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I hope you work through it and recover.

I'm on a break due to a couple of injuries as well, but they're sports injuries that should recover enough to do weddings in a year or two. Whether I go back or not is the question... it's a heck of a lot of work and effort, and unless you're doing at least a dozen weddings a year you don't really get into the swing of things. IT work is much easier to get, pays better, etc.

I used to play baseball and hockey when I first started doing weddings. I first stopped playing hockey because 2 sports and weddings on top of a monday-friday job was too much time away from the family. Then I started missing a lot of baseball when more and more couples wanted their engagement sessions on the same nights/afternoon I'd have a game, and if we had a rained out game, it would always be made up on the Friday evening, and I'd always skip those if I had a wedding the next day. In the end, I'd pay $200+ a year to play baseball, and maybe get into 5 games.

But I do remember going to a lot of weddings with sore ribs due to an OF collision, sore arms from being hit by a pitch, and just general muscle soreness due to getting older...

600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
May 17, 2017 16:53 |  #6

SMP_Homer wrote in post #18351083 (external link)
After 200+ weddings, health issues have forced me to give this up .If your doctor says don't do it, listen to him. . .
Health is a precious thing.

Best wishes for a smooth and complete recovery. Perhaps in the meantime you can find something less taxing than shooting weddings. Professional hockey comes to mind.

Along with your words of good advice I'll add not trying to rush physical therapy. When the therapist says "Do twenty of these twice a day," doing forty four times a day isn't twice as good. (Yes, there is at least one member here that stupid.)

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 18, 2017 09:09 |  #7

Hang in there. Im 60 this year and I find that I have to continue to exorcise a lot and work on staying in shape to be able to continue doing this. Next season, im going to find an assistant to help me lug crapola around. People dont realize how physically demanding being a wedding photographer can be. I now LMAO at the newbs coming and shooting for ridiculously low prices....they just have no clue what the job involves.

Maybe work with a trainer for a few months and see if conditioning will help with the injuries. Hope you can continue. There not enough good people who really know what they are doing in the field.....Lots of newbs....not enough experienced pros

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

SMP_Homer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,414 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
May 18, 2017 09:18 |  #8

I've been sitting on the back deck every night, 5D+100-400, aiming at various bird feeders we have in the yard. When the tingling comes, I lose feelings in the fingers, can't feel buttons/wheels, and shortly after I can't tell if I'm griping hard enough to not drop anything... and knuckles are white!

there a blue jay that's always in the neighbor's yard... nothing we set out draws him over...

600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
May 18, 2017 16:49 |  #9

SMP_Homer wrote in post #18357553 (external link)
I've been sitting on the back deck every night, 5D+100-400, aiming at various bird feeders we have in the yard. When the tingling comes, I lose feelings in the fingers, can't feel buttons/wheels, and shortly after I can't tell if I'm griping hard enough to not drop anything... and knuckles are white!

there a blue jay that's always in the neighbor's yard... nothing we set out draws him over...

Plain peanuts in a shell...they love them

sounds like a pinched nerve. Might try a GOOD Chiro

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

evolyllaphotography
Joined Dec 2016
Toronto
May 19, 2017 10:19 |  #10

this is a great thread thank you for sharing your experience and best luck!

Toronto Documentary Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

happy2010
Looking for the light first
546 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by happy2010. 6 edits done in total.
May 30, 2017 23:55 |  #11

Dear SMP_Homer,

Thank you for your thought-felt story and posts over the years…
Yes, health is so precious (including the sense of sight) and often maybe not appreciated nor valued until deprived.

Experience is sometimes an agonizing life-teacher and your story indeed a lesson to everyone.
Listening to your wife, is true words of wisdom - particularly going forward.
Perhaps time to put you & your wife in the center of YOUR “picture” of life, rather than brides & grooms.
(Continue embracing life with your heart & soul, perhaps maybe just without a camera).
Your Perfect Day (Jerry Ghionis):
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=8seGxgfgSJk (external link) (8:33 minute video)

"Youth is a gift, Age is an art."

Hope time will be kind to you…

Mary

P.S.
Aging Backwards (Miranda Esmonde White):
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=6_e-V5o8laE (external link) (4:26 minute video)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=8hLMitXvvbY (external link) (22:30 minute video)
-While everyone is different, I found this info helps keep a body toned, particularly for a 10-14hr day photography event.

MARY

sponsored links

3,712 views & 4 likes for this thread
Last wedding....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.