Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 12 May 2017 (Friday) 15:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, reviewed by matthewm

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND matthewm (showing now: matthewm)
Overall Rating9
Overall Image Quality8.5
Value for Money9.5
Bokeh8
Sharpness8
Contrast8
Focusing9
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9.5
Got What I Expected9
photo by Benitoite
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

matthewm
327 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Sumter, South Carolina
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by matthewm. 6 edits done in total.
May 12, 2017 15:23 |  #1

I've owned this lens twice and for anyone shooting on a crop sensor camera, I think it's a must-have. Even if you don't use it a ton, it's so small, light and inexpensive that it really doesn't make sense to not have it in the bag or coat pocket or whatever. It's great for video as the STM motor allows for fast, silent AF during recording and the STM is good enough during stills shooting as it's fairly quiet and pretty quick. This lens is unobtrusive and small enough to not stand out, especially when paired with a smaller body like those in the Rebel lineup or the 77D.

I do sometimes find this lens to be a tad soft and find that on my 80D at f/4 with center-point AF and using the "focus-recompose" method of shooting, I get far more consistent and reliable results than with the lens wide open and/or with any other focus method. I have found similar results when using it on my EOS M5 with EF-M adapter.

Where this lens really stands out, for me, is in two areas:

1. Family Stuff: With a wife and baby at home, I'm constantly snapping photos around the house, and when we're out on family walks and the like, this lens is a dream. It's small, light, reasonably quick and gives me a wide enough FOV to include a little background in my images, which is fun. It's a great "documentary" focal length.

2. Tabletop Reviews: I do some reviews of stationery products for my blog (pens, paper, inks, etc.) and this lens' minimum focus distance is right at about 6" which is perfect for shooting small objects in a tabletop setting (you've seen a million of these reviews, I'm sure, where all you see is the reviewer's hands and the item). This lens is wide enough to get objects in frame at arm's length and focuses closely enough to get details in the shots. While not a true macro, it does have some macro capability (albeit not 1:1 and not advertised).

I never leave home with my camera without this lens. If I'm carrying the 18-135 or some other lens, this one goes in a pouch or pocket or whatever. It's too small, light and good to leave at home.

932 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, reviewed by matthewm
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.