Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 13 May 2017 (Saturday) 08:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Moon - Jupiter - Saturn

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Roy A. Rust. 2 edits done in total.
May 13, 2017 08:21 |  #1

With another clear night, I wanted to try to get the three main things of interest that were out tonight - the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn - at the same scale. These three images are cropped horizontally to fit the page, but are full-frame vertically. These were taken with my Nikon D5500 mounted on an extension tube, with a Kenko 1.4x TC, on my Meade ETX 125 Telescope, which I have mounted on an Orion SkyView motorized mount, The extension tube and 1.4x TC give it a focal length of 3234mm (or 10 feet, 7.3 inches). With the 1.5 crop factor of my camera, the combination has a 35mm equivalent of 4851mm! (And that's equal to a 15.92 foot telescope! Wow!) That would be a LONG, skinny refractor, with just a 5 inch diameter lens! It's hard to imagine all that crammed into a telescope that's only 18 inches long, including the extension tube!

Jupiter's four largest moons, Io, Ganymede, Europa, and Callisto, are in the picture with it, listed left to right, but you have to look carefully to see them all. It also includes the Great Red Spot, but I'm not sure you can see it at this scale.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 13, 2017 08:46 |  #2

Nice presentation!

By the way, nothing wrong with F25, as long as it's appropriate for your pixel size for best sampling in the context of lunar, planetary, & solar. Sometimes you have to slow the focal-ratio to achieve best sampling.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ManiZ
Joined Sep 2009
Mile High City
May 13, 2017 08:49 |  #3

beautiful!

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
May 13, 2017 09:30 |  #4

Nice captures Roy ! Very nice to see some planet images .

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2015
Dallas, Texas
May 13, 2017 10:28 as a reply to Celestron's post |  #5

Thanks, guys - I appreciate the comments.

Roy

945 views & 5 likes for this thread
Moon - Jupiter - Saturn
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.