Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 16 May 2017 (Tuesday) 17:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Cardinal Nest outside my kid's window

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
May 16, 2017 17:45 |  #1

Was looking out the window this morning and noticed the nest with a female hanging out. She saw me but I just closed the blinds and went to work.

I would like to take pics and have the boys enjoy watching them too, but I don't want to harass them in a way that might make them abandon the nest, and I'm assuming eggs.

The nest is probably 5 feet from the window and the blinds are closed 99 percent of the time.

Any tips on how to observe without disturbing them?

Time of day to remove the screen and clean the window?

Thinking if I do that we should just check them out with the window closed.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Lycomech96
Joined Jul 2009
Williamsport. Lycoming County
May 19, 2017 18:57 |  #2

I think it would be best to wait until you see them feeding the young before making any changes they can see within that 5 foot range. I had one start a nest outside one of my windows and I set up a tiny video camera. When they noticed the new thing looking at them like a one eyed monster, they did not return to nest building.
Once they are taking care of young they will probably over come any fear to keep feeding them.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 04, 2017 10:25 as a reply to Lycomech96's post |  #3

Thank you for the advice.

I waited until they were not around on a very warm evening and first took out the bug screen on the window. And left them alone for a day or two.

The boys and I have looked out through the window each morning before school to see her sitting on the eggs. I'm pretty sure she sees us through the glass ... west facing window. Since they have to get ready it is no more than a minute watching her and wondering what is going on in the nest.

Yesterday we were doing the same, and with no warning she jumped up and flew away, just as quick as she left, daddy came in and the new babies stuck their heads up for breakfast! We had no idea they were there. Even for an old fart it was awesome, of course the boys were super excited too. Certain that mom and dad had heard our voices and high fives,I shuffled them away and we went about our day.

I have cleaned up the window, (dad was not too happy about that,lol) am going to work on darkening the room a bit to grab some pics over the next few days. Obviously I don't know much about this stuff, but the chicks have changed appearance quite a bit from yesterday to today. Makes me think yesterday might have been their birthday.

Mom and dad are busy feeding the chicks, so I'm going to try to give them their space. This is real cool stuff and I'm so glad my boys and I get to witness it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jun 04, 2017 11:12 |  #4

Oh, man. Couldn't help myself and just got some great shots of dad feeding. They didn't look happy with my presence at the window, guess I will do some yard work on the other side of the house for a while.

D ­ Jacobs
33 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jun 18, 2017 04:52 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

Very cool indeed!

5D Mark II / 7D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-105mm f/4L / 17-40mm f/4L / 600 EX-RT / Need to stop before more things are listed here...

D ­ Jacobs
33 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jun 18, 2017 04:54 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

Probably was a little annoyed because you interrupted their meal haha

5D Mark II / 7D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-105mm f/4L / 17-40mm f/4L / 600 EX-RT / Need to stop before more things are listed here...

sponsored links

2,743 views & 4 likes for this thread
Cardinal Nest outside my kid's window
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.