Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 May 2017 (Wednesday) 23:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

3rd Party batteries and 5D4

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,505 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 20, 2017 16:53 |  #76

Ascenta wrote in post #18406877 (external link)
Oh my god is this alice in wonderland???? Or is everyone just tripping on LSD? Obviously a lying cheat. I'm pretty sure someone else would call them out before me on a $3000 camera. Go take a look at all the complaining in the 6D2 thread. Canon would be crucified for that big of a lie.

I have NO IDEA why people are ok with this. Putting a total of 1300-1400mAh cells in a pack and calling it 2600mAh is not a "defect". Do you really believe that? It's the EXACT same thing as you mentioned here if Canon actually published specs of 1/8000 in the manual, online, everywhere, but actually built it to do 1/4000. Exact same thing.

A defect would be a problem with the battery housing causing it to not physically fit. Or a broken tab on the battery that didn't make contact. Or solder than came loose inside. I understand that; it happens on $1000 TVs and $30,000 cars all the time. But to build a 1300mAh battery pack then market it and sell it as 2600mAh is ludicrous.

The determination of battery capacity is not an easy task, and cannot be accomplished in the manner in which you are testing. I suggest you review the content at http://mathscinotes.co​m ...ery-capacity-versus-load/ (external link) for some insight into the complexity of the task. When a manufacturer tests and labels batteries, something so simple as the end point voltage (per cell) will have a serious impact on the nominal capacity. One manufacturer might use an end point voltage of 3.2 volts, the other 3.0

I'd also like to point out that the capacity on the label, and the method for its determination, changed in August 2015 as part of the regulations covering the shipment of Li-Ion batteries on aircraft. Before August 7, 2015, shippers in the US measured the power of lithium batteries by “equivalent lithium content”, a simple method based on weight. Under the new rules, battery power is expressed in watt-hours, something directly related to mAh as labeled on the battery. This is the number that goes on the battery label.

Another resource worth reviewing is at http://batteryuniversi​ty.com ...g_lithium_based_bat​teries (external link).

sponsored links
Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 20, 2017 18:37 |  #77

Since I decided I'm not paying full price for an OEM, I'll just deal with this. But I'll try the wasabi brand next time. I'm expecting the same tactics, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Ascenta.
Jul 20, 2017 18:40 |  #78

John from PA wrote in post #18407063 (external link)
The determination of battery capacity is not an easy task, and cannot be accomplished in the manner in which you are testing.

How do you know how I'm testing? Well, sorry I guess I didn't say exactly in my previous posts. I use a hobby charger to discharge these to 2.8v which is the proper voltage for these cells. Some can be 2.5v, or even 2.0v. I've been over this stuff, trust me. I've been dealing with Li-Ion extensively for nearly 10 years.

Other cells I've tested are so close to spec you'd be amazed. I never expect them to be so close, but often they are within 20mAh on my analyzer. That's great. But being 40-50% lower, not so much.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,505 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 20, 2017 18:54 |  #79

Ascenta wrote in post #18407139 (external link)
How do you know how I'm testing?

Ascenta wrote in post #18404764 (external link)
But after last night I'm not so sure. I've used/charged it a few times now, and last night it was at 50% so I decided to top it off. When it was fully charged, my charger said it put about 500mAh into it. So that would mean the battery's capacity is around 1000mAh. NOT 2600mAh. That's a huge difference!

I understand the best way to determine capacity is to do a discharge from 100%, but my charger does not do that. But since Li-Ion chargers don't typically overcharge, I think this is enough proof for me. Even if it wasn't exactly at 50% and the charger stopped short, 1000mAh vs 2600mAh isn't even close. I'll be generous and call this a 1200mAh cell...well under Canon's 1865mAh.

I may not know the exact details of how you are testing, but it is readily apparent to me, at least reading the bold underlined text immediately above, that you are establishing capacity by a charge cycle, not the discharge cycle used by a battery manufacturer.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 20, 2017 18:59 |  #80

John from PA wrote in post #18407154 (external link)
I may not know the exact details of how you are testing, but it is readily apparent to me, at least reading the bold underlined text immediately above, that you are establishing capacity by a charge cycle, not the discharge cycle used by a battery manufacturer.

Yes, before destroying the thing I certainly wanted to charge it the normal way. After doing this and seeing an obvious shortage, I opened the pack and tested the cells individually with a discharge from 100%. That's what I was talking about yesterday and did this last night.

chuckmiller
357 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
Jul 20, 2017 19:36 |  #81

This may be the best and the worst technical battery thread I have ever read. :-)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Jul 20, 2017 20:19 |  #82

chuckmiller wrote in post #18407187 (external link)
This may be the best and the worst technical battery thread I have ever read. :-)

Haha sure went downhill fast. Since it defies basic logic, let's just throw salt in the wound by saying this battery is actually great. Hell, it's amazing! Best battery ever!! A+++ will buy again! Just placed an order for another.

Thanks everyone for helping me see the light. I guess my extensive knowledge of Li-Ion cells and daily use is just for fun. I'm faking it.

sponsored links

6,658 views & 10 likes for this thread
3rd Party batteries and 5D4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.