Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 18 May 2017 (Thursday) 11:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Battery Grip vs. No Grip ?? On Canon 5D mk iii, 5DS, etc..

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
May 18, 2017 11:48 |  #1

My first DSLR was a Canon t2i, and from that point forward I used battery grips. I got used to the feel and size. These days I have both the Canon 5D mk iii and Canon 5DS, both with grips.

As my camera pack is nearly maxed, I considered removin the grips to reduce bulk and start shooting with body and single battery. I already have a good size Lowepro pack that holds 2 bodies with 6 lenses, so a larger pack won't be my solution. Reducing volume slightly appears to be a better path.

Have any of you photographers with Canon 5D mk iii, iv, 5DS or similar, made the switch and removed your battery grips for your regular routine?

Were there pros or cons you noticed that were significant for you?

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,042 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 18, 2017 11:55 |  #2

As the general use of battery grips on full size bodies provides these advantages

• 2x shots in battery capacity
  • portrait orientation control button convenience

...the cons are simply loss of those features (which are not issues at all for many shooters)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Elton ­ Balch
Joined Dec 2005
May 18, 2017 12:11 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18357716 (external link)
As the general use of battery grips on full size bodies provides these advantages

• 2x shots in battery capacity
  • portrait orientation control button convenience

...the cons are simply loss of those features (which are not issues at all for many shooters)

I totally agree with Wilt. My 5D (now gone), 5D iii and 7D ii have grips and I do like the feel and extra battery capacity. There are times when the extra bulk is just a pain when I'm packing a bag or just walking around. Carrying an extra battery is much easier than jamming a gripped camera in a bag. Less bulk when using a monopod (or even a tripod) is an advantage when I take a grip off.

Elton Balch
5D Mark III, 7D Mark II, 24 mm f/1.4 L, 35 mm f/1.4 L, 50 mm f/1.2 L, 85 mm f/1.2 L, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 135 mm f/2 L, 300 mm f/4 L, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, 580 EX Flash, Speedlight 600 EX RT, 1.4 extender, extension tubes and other stuff.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,339 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
May 18, 2017 12:48 |  #4

Sell both 5D variants, and the grips. Buy a 1DXII. If you like the feel of a gripped body, you'll love the 1D series. One 1DX is smaller than two gripped 5D's.

Tom

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
May 18, 2017 12:49 |  #5

So ... just for starters, I'm pulling the grip off one camera for the first time just to how it feels without even shooting. Fumbling around with the camera and lens, I can see how I was relying on the grip to balance lens weight. It wasn't obvious until taking the grip off. But I found by holding the body and lens different, it can be balanced.

It was amazing how much less less the camera protruded toward the bag cover when I slipped it into the void without the grip.

Another thing I'm noticing is that with the grip on, i held the grip so that the tripod plate didn't touch my hand. With the grip off, it looks like I'd prefer to have the plate off shooting portraits, but put it back on for landscape shooting. Maybe.

Forget why I pulled the lens on and off, but it became apparent I relied on holding the grip before entirely when switching lenses. I can see that I will need to grip the camera itself, entirely different, to switch lenses. I don't know if this matters at all or would increase chances of fumbling or not.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
May 18, 2017 12:56 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18357748 (external link)
Sell both 5D variants, and the grips. Buy a 1DXII. If you like the feel of a gripped body, you'll love the 1D series. One 1DX is smaller than two gripped 5D's.

I considered that, but a single 1DX would not provide a backup camera, nor the sensor size of the 5DS. The reason for those two bodies, similar menus was a very purposeful purchase combination. I can adjust down the image size of the 5DS for portraits like the 5D mk iii. And the megapixels of the 1DX wouldn't come close to the shots like I recently took of the largest known coast redwood for a huge print canvas. But I'd love to have a 1DX series, and could see adding it as a 3rd body the next year or two. I could easily deal with 3 bodies, because I'd never carry all three of them.

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,690 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
May 19, 2017 21:23 |  #7

I prefer the smaller size and don't use grips. I'd rather carry spare batteries, especially if you can use them in both cameras. I lug enough stuff around as is.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
May 20, 2017 00:05 |  #8

Tapeman wrote in post #18358856 (external link)
I prefer the smaller size and don't use grips. I'd rather carry spare batteries, especially if you can use them in both cameras. I lug enough stuff around as is.

Did you ever use a grip.

I'm curious if others quit using a grip after using one for a while and felt changing lenses was peculiar. For people who never used a grip, I suppose how lenses are changed and the body held wouldn't matter. However they held it is all that they are familiar with.

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,498 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
May 21, 2017 01:32 |  #9

I've been using a grip since Topcon Super D in 73. Used a MF motor drive on my Canon F1 cameras. I have a large palm; my hand cramps without one.

I'm also clumsy and need as much camera to hold on to as possible, which is also why I keep straps on my cameras and automatically loop the strap over my hand or arm every time I pick up a camera.

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,690 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Twin Cities
May 21, 2017 11:40 |  #10

mdvaden wrote in post #18358906 (external link)
Did you ever use a grip.

I'm curious if others quit using a grip after using one for a while and felt changing lenses was peculiar. For people who never used a grip, I suppose how lenses are changed and the body held wouldn't matter. However they held it is all that they are familiar with.

An off brand grip came with my 5DII and I have never used it. I have a 1DIV and am ok with it as its speed seems to make the extra weight worthwhile.

Most of the time I use long lenses primarily shooting wildlife.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

NemethR
840 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Pécs, Hungary
May 23, 2017 07:53 |  #11

Well, since my first amera, all my Bodies are Gripped, and to be honest I only removed the grip from my Camera once since.
That one thing was, when I wanted to travel light, for a full day of trip on the Croatian coast.
Turned out, I was missing the grip the whole day :D

For me the advantages of having a grip are far too big.
Not to mention, if you have one, you can take it off, if you need to.

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Canon EOS 5Ds | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT | Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
May 23, 2017 09:07 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #12

I always had no grip, then got a 5D2 with a grip, and very honestly never saw much difference since I never trained myself to use the other shutter button.

There are times I'd like to have a grip so I can go all day with no battery change, but if I'm going all day, then the weight comes into play.

I don't really think you'll have much of a problem, JMHO and as you can just take them off and try it out, you should give that a go and see how you get along.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
May 23, 2017 10:02 |  #13

My rule for testing a change like this is to use it for two weeks in the new configuration. The first day you always feel uncomfortable. By the end of two weeks, you adapt.

I remember the frustration of switching to back button focus. I had to make myself stick with it for a while or I would have switched back after the first, second, third, fourth . . . hour. Now I would never go back.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Jun 05, 2017 01:21 |  #14

I tried a grip when I first got my 5DII but took it off and never put one back on. For me is much easier to put a battery in my pocket and switch when I need to rather than to have the grip on.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

Nick5
Goldmember
2,894 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jun 06, 2017 09:32 |  #15

mdvaden wrote in post #18357707 (external link)
My first DSLR was a Canon t2i, and from that point forward I used battery grips. I got used to the feel and size. These days I have both the Canon 5D mk iii and Canon 5DS, both with grips.

As my camera pack is nearly maxed, I considered removin the grips to reduce bulk and start shooting with body and single battery. I already have a good size Lowepro pack that holds 2 bodies with 6 lenses, so a larger pack won't be my solution. Reducing volume slightly appears to be a better path.

Have any of you photographers with Canon 5D mk iii, iv, 5DS or similar, made the switch and removed your battery grips for your regular routine?

Were there pros or cons you noticed that were significant for you?

As soon as I start shooting my 5D Mark III without the grip, I get pain in my right palm. So I always, must, use the grip.
Plus a grip allows your body to be straight when shooting in portrait mode. Look at yourself in a mirror when shooting in Portrait Mode without a grip. Less wear and tear on the body.
So for me the added weight of the grip counter balances the weight of the longer lenses and reduces fatigue on me.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

7,289 views & 1 like for this thread
Battery Grip vs. No Grip ?? On Canon 5D mk iii, 5DS, etc..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.