Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 19 May 2017 (Friday) 18:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Before and After.....Photoshop work

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Post has been edited 5 months ago by jcolman.
May 19, 2017 18:18 |  #1

Thought I would share some recent work. If you have any good "before and after" photos, please share,

This was a quick snap before the bride walked down the aisle. Her mom liked it a lot and wanted to order a large canvas. But I knew it needed some work.

Before:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/5aB5BGe.jpg

After:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/BxBa8B8.jpg

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
May 22, 2017 14:12 |  #2

Nice edit :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Sin City, Vegas
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Tomi Hawk.
May 22, 2017 15:52 |  #3

I'll play ...

Jenn and I playing around with my new 200 2.8, downtown at The Golden Nugget wayyy after hours .. :)
and yes, she spilled some ice-cream on her riding there lol ..

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 4 months ago by DaviSto.
May 22, 2017 17:01 |  #4

I can see what you were aiming to do but there are aspects that I am unsure about.

I think there may have been an element of overkill in the obliteration of the exterior world beyond the doors, in particular. I can see why you might want to make it less distracting but eliminating it altogether seems to me to remove valuable context from the image. The sense of where the bride was coming from has gone and some of the 'story' has gone with it.

The blurring out and darkening of the doors themselves also doesn't completely work for me. It doesn't feel like the same effect that you would get from using a wider aperture and all the texture that was there in the wood beforehand has been lost.

These things are very subjective, however. Mom probably loved the edit. What do I know?

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
May 22, 2017 17:34 |  #5

DaviSto wrote in post #18360686 (external link)
I can see what you were aiming to do but there are aspects that I am unsure about.

I think there may have been an element of overkill in the obliteration of the exterior world beyond the doors, in particular. I can see why you might want to make it less distracting but eliminating it altogether seems to me to remove valuable context from the image. The sense of where the bride was coming from has gone and some of the 'story' has gone with it.

The blurring out and darkening of the doors themselves also doesn't completely work for me. It doesn't feel like the same effect that you would get from using a wider aperture and all the texture that was there in the wood beforehand has been lost.

These things are very subjective, however. Mom probably loved the edit. What do I know?

Thanks for your input. In many ways I agree. However the mom wanted the crop as seen. Once I cropped the image, the "world beyond" the doors becomes something that was simply a distraction. The mom initally wanted me to rework the green grass but I wasn't happy with how it looked. Too artificial I thought. So I decided to simply remove it altogether. As for the blurring of the background, I agree that it doesn't look the same as it would have by using a wider aperature (and moving the bride closer to the camera) but I thougth the sharp background was a bit of a distraction so I blurred it.

The mom loved it and ordered a large canvas print.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
May 22, 2017 17:48 |  #6

jcolman wrote in post #18360700 (external link)
Thanks for your input. In many ways I agree. However the mom wanted the crop as seen. Once I cropped the image, the "world beyond" the doors becomes something that was simply a distraction. The mom initally wanted me to rework the green grass but I wasn't happy with how it looked. Too artificial I thought. So I decided to simply remove it altogether. As for the blurring of the background, I agree that it doesn't look the same as it would have by using a wider aperature (and moving the bride closer to the camera) but I thougth the sharp background was a bit of a distraction so I blurred it.

The mom loved it and ordered a large canvas print.

I hadn't appreciated from your post that the mom was so involved in 'designing' how the image should look. You are in the business here of delivering a 'product' that the customer wants, albeit to high standards and in a professional way. What the customer wants may ... for perfectly valid reasons ... not always be the image with the greatest 'artistic merit'.

I'm pleased she liked the image enough to want to buy the big expensive print. Good job done!

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
May 24, 2017 10:05 |  #7

DaviSto wrote in post #18360704 (external link)
I hadn't appreciated from your post that the mom was so involved in 'designing' how the image should look. You are in the business here of delivering a 'product' that the customer wants, albeit to high standards and in a professional way. What the customer wants may ... for perfectly valid reasons ... not always be the image with the greatest 'artistic merit'.

I'm pleased she liked the image enough to want to buy the big expensive print. Good job done!

You don't have to suck up to Jim so much. I'll admit, he is one of the best on this site and love his work but he is human although my wife when she see's his stuff thinks not. :) In this instance he just did not look at what was behind her and position correctly. :) See honey, he is human.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
May 24, 2017 10:27 |  #8

Amadauss wrote in post #18361905 (external link)
You don't have to suck up to Jim so much. I'll admit, he is one of the best on this site and love his work but he is human although my wife when she see's his stuff thinks not. :) In this instance he just did not look at what was behind her and position correctly. :) See honey, he is human.

Yes ... on rereading, that second post of mine does seem a bit pathetically over-deferential. ;-)a

jcolman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
May 24, 2017 19:45 |  #9

Amadauss wrote in post #18361905 (external link)

HahahHahah!! Tell your wife that I love her!

sponsored links

1,244 views & 9 likes for this thread
Before and After.....Photoshop work
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.