Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 20 May 2017 (Saturday) 08:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Night portraits

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
May 30, 2017 08:14 |  #16

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18361990 (external link)
I use tape with a filter hood when the filters that came with it aren't enough. Or you could make a holder. Isn't photography supposed to be a creative endeavor? ; )

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by PhotosGuy in
./showthread.php?p=183​61990&i=i157176722
forum: Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by PhotosGuy in
./showthread.php?p=183​61990&i=i134884079
forum: Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

The creative endeavor part is OK for me, and I'm an old model airplane builder, so I like to fiddle around rigging things up, but I have so very little time :-(

I think I've seen gels advertised for strobes. Seems like there should be gel holders available for standard strobe configurations, like Bowens in my case.

sponsored links
KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
May 30, 2017 08:20 |  #17

KatManDEW wrote in post #18359023 (external link)
Playing with night portraits. Had to bump the ISO to get some background exposure, and that resulted in having trouble getting the flash power low enough. Any suggestions?

This shot was with a Orlit RT 610 in a 48 inch softbox.

Update: I must be doing something wrong because I'm having trouble getting strobe power low enough sometimes even in daylight. I'm shooting a Canon 5D4 in manual exposure mode and exposing for a desired amount of ambient light. I would prefer to shoot ETTL to give me more freedom when moving the subjects around. But even in manual flash I run into too much power.

PhotosGuy
74,711 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
May 30, 2017 08:21 |  #18

Just a "heads up"! I edited my post because I remembered sporadic's "Gel / Film holder for Cokin P (3D Printed)"

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
May 30, 2017 16:40 |  #19

KatManDEW wrote in post #18366437 (external link)
Update: I must be doing something wrong because I'm having trouble getting strobe power low enough sometimes even in daylight. I'm shooting a Canon 5D4 in manual exposure mode and exposing for a desired amount of ambient light. I would prefer to shoot ETTL to give me more freedom when moving the subjects around. But even in manual flash I run into too much power.

The phrase, desired amount if ambient light, can be interpreted several ways. If you expose manually for proper exposure then add flash it's going to overexpose. You generally need to underexpose slightly then add the flash for fill. The problem with using ettl is that you are trying to hit a moving Target with a moving rifle. ETTL meters each shot, so by the time you figure out if you are over or under then even the slightest change in composition (and therefore the reflectivity of the scene) can negate any compensation you make. ETTL can be an amazing tool but you have to learn to work within it's limitations. Also check your metering pattern for the flash.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jun 03, 2017 08:25 |  #20

gonzogolf wrote in post #18366801 (external link)
The phrase, desired amount if ambient light, can be interpreted several ways. If you expose manually for proper exposure then add flash it's going to overexpose. You generally need to underexpose slightly then add the flash for fill. The problem with using ettl is that you are trying to hit a moving Target with a moving rifle. ETTL meters each shot, so by the time you figure out if you are over or under then even the slightest change in composition (and therefore the reflectivity of the scene) can negate any compensation you make. ETTL can be an amazing tool but you have to learn to work within it's limitations. Also check your metering pattern for the flash.

I usually try to underexpose slightly then add the flash for fill. I will have to look into the metering pattern.

The main problem I've been having is that I often end up shooting at very low flash levels with off camera flash, and I have trouble getting the flash power low enough. Even manual flash a 1/128 is too much.

Butts
231 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Jun 07, 2017 06:47 |  #21

Move the flash further away from the subject might help?

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jun 08, 2017 19:47 |  #22

Butts wrote in post #18372995 (external link)
Move the flash further away from the subject might help?

That's been my only solution so far.

ParadisPhotography
Joined Aug 2016
Post has been edited 4 months ago by ParadisPhotography.
Jun 16, 2017 16:48 |  #23

KatManDEW wrote in post #18374253 (external link)
That's been my only solution so far.

Toss a modifier on the flash if you aren't already. Depending on the size/design you can lose over a stop of light.

EDIT: NM, I see you already had a 48 inch softbox on it. Like others said, ND filter on flash, feather the light more, and if all else fails use black cloth to cover part of the modifier front.

mattparadis.studio (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jun 16, 2017 17:15 |  #24

Heya,

You can add another layer in your modifier to basically stop down the power a bit, without killing the spread so you can keep the source close to subject so that it's soft.

Otherwise, seems to me you're using a 600Ws in low light, even if its daylight. Its well accustomed to overpowering sun, but maybe a lower power light is in order. In light this dim, I would think a speedlite could do the job for your low light work.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jun 16, 2017 21:18 |  #25

ParadisPhotography wrote in post #18380117 (external link)
Toss a modifier on the flash if you aren't already. Depending on the size/design you can lose over a stop of light.

EDIT: NM, I see you already had a 48 inch softbox on it. Like others said, ND filter on flash, feather the light more, and if all else fails use black cloth to cover part of the modifier front.

Thank you!

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Jun 16, 2017 21:19 |  #26

MalVeauX wrote in post #18380130 (external link)
Heya,

You can add another layer in your modifier to basically stop down the power a bit, without killing the spread so you can keep the source close to subject so that it's soft.

Otherwise, seems to me you're using a 600Ws in low light, even if its daylight. Its well accustomed to overpowering sun, but maybe a lower power light is in order. In light this dim, I would think a speedlite could do the job for your low light work.

Very best,

That's a good idea! I have speedlite adapters for the softbox. Thank you.

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 07, 2017 10:57 |  #27

Change shutter speed instead of ISO to keep the same flash exposure and increase ambient exposure.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

ammo
200 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Cornwall, UK.
Sep 11, 2017 04:55 |  #28

These look great - I would possibly be looking to just raise the shadows more in post - but then I'm a lazy photographer!

Check me out :)
Wedding Photographer Cornwallexternal linkMy Facebookexternal link
My Flickrexternal link
Cornwall Wedding Photographerexternal link

MartinCapal
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2014
Prague
Post has been edited 7 days ago by MartinCapal.
Oct 09, 2017 01:05 |  #29

Not sure if it is mentioned here - you have to have high-speed-sync triggers(triggerers, dont know). You have max sync 1/200 which is too long exposure time.

People usually struggle with primes and iso 100 and f/2.x during daylight. Impossible.. You gotta have a better quality speed-sync or a cable. Then you can open your aperture and enjoy better object-from-background separation while being a pro with your light setup.

5D Classic | 50STM
http://martincapal.com​/?page_id=5745 (external link)

sponsored links

3,425 views & 19 likes for this thread
Night portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.