Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 20 May 2017 (Saturday) 09:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Panono Camera for interior RE photos?

jnecr
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
May 20, 2017 09:49 |  #1

Anybody used a Panono (external link) camera for RE photos?

I work with a nationwide home builder and their marketing group purchased one, didn't have time to deal with it, and asked me if I'd like to use it on their houses. It's a pretty nifty piece of kit, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of editing options.

I was hoping I could batch edit the individual JPEGs (no Raw available as of yet) for white balance, exposure, highlights, etc and then rebuild them back into a stitched Panono. But, it seems that Panono only allows you to go from a UPF (Unstitched Panono File) to 36 JPEG files, but not the other way around. Just wondering if anybody else has used one and had any luck with editing photos.

Here's a quick (external link) one I did earlier today in case anybody wanted to see what they are capable of. This was me just doing some testing, put it on my dining room table. This is the "HDR" mode and actually isn't that bad. I chose to manually set exposure for one to insure that I got ISO100, so this is 1/15 second exposure I believe. But still, I'd love to get these individual JPEGs into LR and do some editing before the Panono is all stitched up... :(

-John

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,376 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 5 months ago by John from PA.
May 20, 2017 16:36 |  #2

Pano is not something I do every day but on occasion I use the DIY method to get a shot (pardon the pun) and get decent results. A few years ago I discovered the tips by B&H Photo which you can find at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ake-panoramic-photographs (external link). I found many very worthwhile. I'd add that for many indoor shots I've used a sturdy Lazy Susan turntable with a table top tripod. With some crude markings on the Lazy Susan and some experimentation you can get a nice sequence for stitching and minimize the overlap.

jnecr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
May 21, 2017 09:52 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply, the Panono camera isn't exactly a Panoramic camera though. It has 36 individual cameras inside a ball and you get a full 360 x 360 sphere of photos. Rather than just a 360 cylinder, if that makes any sense. I haven't found many (any?) software that is capable of stitching the full sphere together, most only do panoramics in a single axis (up/down or left/right). Panono, obviously, has the software to stitch the photos but their editing tools are lacking.

-John

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,376 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
May 26, 2017 08:00 |  #4

Seems as though Panono has filed for bankruptcy and...https://www.dpreview.c​om ...era-filing-for-bankruptcy (external link)

jnecr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2015
Raleigh, NC
May 27, 2017 11:52 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #5

Very interesting! Thanks for the link.

-John

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
May 27, 2017 13:21 |  #6

Just another geeky toy. I'll stick to my fisheye and pano head, thanks.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Panono Camera for interior RE photos?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.