Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 22 May 2017 (Monday) 00:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help picking a camera for 4K video

zorroa3
Joined Aug 2013
Post has been edited 6 months ago by zorroa3.
May 22, 2017 00:57 |  #1

I will go a bit into details so you guys can give me good advice. Thanks a lot

I'm doing experiments at university, using a camera to capture the strain of fractured materials when pulling them apart.
A software will analyze each frame in the video to get the strain.
Also the camera can be used for taking photos of other experiments.

So I think a 4K dslr is the way to go. Sharpness and resolution are the most important factors.
I'm a Canon fan, but I don't think Canon cameras can match Nikon's in these areas.

Was considering the Nikon D500, until I saw this page: https://www.dpreview.c​om/reviews/nikon-d500/6 (external link)
The sharpness from the Sony a6300 is a lot better than the Nikon.
However I have never used a mirrorless camera before, so don't know any issues may arise during the filming process.
So could you guys please give me advice on:

- Experiences when filming with a mirrorless camera on a tripod (have a feeling that the body of a mirrorless camera is too light...)
- Alternative options besides the D500 and a6300 (with similar resolution and sharpness), budget is about $3000. I've never used a Nikon or Sony products before.

Thank you very much.

sponsored links
Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Azathoth. 2 edits done in total.
May 22, 2017 05:04 |  #2

I think the Panasonic Lumix G80 / G85 is the best bet. It has the kind of features for video that other DSLR's don't have.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
May 22, 2017 05:43 |  #3

A camera that provides 120 FPS would probably be my first requirement.

Worked with a buddy on a shoot one day and he was using a Sony for high FPS, don't know which one though. This might be a situation where renting is better than buying.

Edit: Sony video camera, not mirrorless, etc.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

zorroa3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2013
May 22, 2017 07:15 |  #4

Azathoth wrote in post #18360226 (external link)
I think the Panasonic Lumix G80 / G85 is the best bet. It has the kind of features for video that other DSLR's don't have.

Thanks. Which features do you mention here?

zorroa3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2013
May 22, 2017 07:21 |  #5

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18360234 (external link)
A camera that provides 120 FPS would probably be my first requirement.

Worked with a buddy on a shoot one day and he was using a Sony for high FPS, don't know which one though. This might be a situation where renting is better than buying.

Edit: Sony video camera, not mirrorless, etc.

Yeah renting is a good idea. I might have to use it for more than 1 year so maybe renting before buying.

The strain rate in my experiment is quite low, so 24 fps is more than enough. I'm looking more into resolution of the video.

I will use a macro lenses because the magnification will be about 0.5x to 1x. How do Sony macro lenses compared to Nikon (in term of sharpness...)?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,139 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
May 22, 2017 07:51 |  #6

Need a raw video option. External recorder. Maybe one of the red cameras

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
May 22, 2017 11:11 |  #7

Not sure if this affects anything as im not sure of anything in this thred but...lol

At 24fps to get crisp frames there will need to not be any fast movements ..

Maybe th ats super obvious .. bit incase you didnt know?
You mentioned fracutres , dont know how these fractures wlli come about .. but my find thinks impacts,explosions, etc.which are usually things that happen quickly?..

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
May 22, 2017 15:43 |  #8

rantercsr wrote in post #18360392 (external link)
Not sure if this affects anything as im not sure of anything in this thred but...lol

yup, lol

not sure what the experiment is exactly

At 24fps to get crisp frames there will need to not be any fast movements ..

this ^^ is heading in the direction I was heading this morning.

if you're shooting 60fps a typical ss is 1/120 ... 2x fps

if you go higher you actually end up not recording a lot of "action"

for example with a fps of 30 (again, just an example) if you are shooting 4xfps @ 1/120 you are only capturing 1/4 of the time between start and stop of recording.

you might not need 120fps for the slow motion effect, but it will allow you to shoot 1/240 and only "miss" half the action.

or shoot 1/120 and get all the action.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Azathoth. 4 edits done in total.
May 23, 2017 06:51 |  #9

zorroa3 wrote in post #18360263 (external link)
Thanks. Which features do you mention here?

I'm sorry, i really meant the Panasonic GH5:

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...ws/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5 (external link)

Key Features

20MP Four Thirds sensor (no OLPF)
5-axis in-body image stabilization system with 'Dual IS 2' support
All 4K footage taken using full width of sensor (oversampled from 5.1K footage)
Internal 4K/30p 10-bit 4:2:2 video capture
4K/59.94p and 50p shooting with 10-bit 4:2:2 output or 8-bit, 4:2:0 internal recording
1080 video at up to 180p, enabling 7.5x slow-motion
9 fps shooting with continuous autofocus
Advanced DFD autofocus
Dual UHS II card slots (V60 ready)
Autofocus point joystick
802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC and Bluetooth
Pre-configurable rack focus mode
Waveform and vectorscope monitors
Paid upgrade to enable V-LogL video capture with LUT-based preview display

I really don't have experience with video but from i've heard, this camera is being recommended a lot for shooting video.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

zorroa3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2013
May 25, 2017 10:12 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18360636 (external link)
yup, lol

not sure what the experiment is exactly

this ^^ is heading in the direction I was heading this morning.

if you're shooting 60fps a typical ss is 1/120 ... 2x fps

if you go higher you actually end up not recording a lot of "action"

for example with a fps of 30 (again, just an example) if you are shooting 4xfps @ 1/120 you are only capturing 1/4 of the time between start and stop of recording.

you might not need 120fps for the slow motion effect, but it will allow you to shoot 1/240 and only "miss" half the action.

or shoot 1/120 and get all the action.

My experiment is really slow, and the purpose is to get a stress-strain relationship, not to watch how fractures open.
So 24fps is more than enough for me. I just need resolution and sharpness to analyse each frame from the video.

zorroa3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2013
May 25, 2017 10:16 |  #11

Azathoth wrote in post #18361013 (external link)
I'm sorry, i really meant the Panasonic GH5:

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...ws/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5 (external link)

I really don't have experience with video but from i've heard, this camera is being recommended a lot for shooting video.

Thank you. It's a nice piece of equipment to add into my consideration... and more thing to be considered.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
May 25, 2017 10:23 |  #12

I have never seen anything that made me think Nikon video was equal to Canon, much less better.

Pretty much any Canon capable of 4K (since you are familiar with them) with a nice prime stopped down a bit will be more than sufficient.

Keep in mind 4K video is considered high resolution, but it is nothing compared to the average 20-30 MP resolution of still shots.

4K = 8.3 megapixels

azsportpilot
Joined Jan 2014
Hattiesburg, MS
May 25, 2017 10:35 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18362724 (external link)
I have never seen anything that made me think Nikon video was equal to Canon, much less better.

Pretty much any Canon capable of 4K (since you are familiar with them) with a nice prime stopped down a bit will be more than sufficient.

Keep in mind 4K video is considered high resolution, but it is nothing compared to the average 20-30 MP resolution of still shots.

4K = 8.3 megapixels

kinda what I was thinking 4k is hyped a lot but

I'm thinking the same rules hold true, get a very very good lens and use it properly, and just about any modern body that shoots video will suffice

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
May 25, 2017 17:53 |  #14

zorroa3 wrote in post #18360176 (external link)
I will go a bit into details so you guys can give me good advice. Thanks a lot

I'm doing experiments at university, using a camera to capture the strain of fractured materials when pulling them apart.
A software will analyze each frame in the video to get the strain.
Also the camera can be used for taking photos of other experiments.

So I think a 4K dslr is the way to go. Sharpness and resolution are the most important factors.
I'm a Canon fan, but I don't think Canon cameras can match Nikon's in these areas.

Was considering the Nikon D500, until I saw this page: https://www.dpreview.c​om/reviews/nikon-d500/6 (external link)
The sharpness from the Sony a6300 is a lot better than the Nikon.
However I have never used a mirrorless camera before, so don't know any issues may arise during the filming process.
So could you guys please give me advice on:

- Experiences when filming with a mirrorless camera on a tripod (have a feeling that the body of a mirrorless camera is too light...)
- Alternative options besides the D500 and a6300 (with similar resolution and sharpness), budget is about $3000. I've never used a Nikon or Sony products before.

Thank you very much.

I'm a Canon fan to when it comes to DLSR still photography, but I use a panasonic lumix for video.
With a budget of $3,000, you're probably limited to a DLSR camera with video capability. The Panasonic Lumix GH5 is the "latest and greatest" that I'm aware of. It can record in 10-bit 4:2:2 in 60p, but this could be overkill, or it may not satisfy your experiments needs.
Without knowing precisely what your needs are, in terms of sharpness, resolution, fps, and software compatibility, all we can do is make guesses as to what might be sufficient. Do you need slow motion? How many FPS does your software program need to capture the strain of fractured materials when pulled apart. How much cropping will you be doing? Why do you need 4K? Do you need to make/record observations from the screen or does the software make the observations? Do you already have a 4K monitor, etc.?

I've been messing around with the lumix FZ2500 for five months recording videos, all in 4K. It's my first mirrorless camera. I found it to be a bit bizarre at first. The autofocus still has me puzzled to some degree.

flickr (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,799 posts
Joined Oct 2014
May 26, 2017 01:21 |  #15

If you need reliable autofocus in video, Nikon and Panosonic are out of the question.

1DIII through 1DXII(2) | 5D2-4 | 5DS | 8-800mm
XT2 | 16-140mm

sponsored links

2,145 views & 2 likes for this thread
Need help picking a camera for 4K video
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.