Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 22 May 2017 (Monday) 08:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Traveling to Egypt

aox
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Brooklyn
May 22, 2017 08:36 |  #1

Hope this is the correct forum (Mods, can you move the thread if I messed up?)

I'm on my way to Egypt Wednesday for a photography gig. I am taking about $10K worth of equipment.

I understand I can't take my Camera body in my carry-on; however, do my lenses also have to go under? I have about $7K worth of lenses and would like to keep them on my person. I called the TSA and the Office of Public Affairs and both said they had no idea. OPA told me to call the airline. How does that help and how will they help me when I am stuck at customs? That's like asking me to call BMW for my expired license plate.

Any insight you guys have would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

Canon 6D | Canon 60D | 16-35mm F/2.8 L | 24-70mm F/2.8 L | 24-70mm F/2.8 mkII L | 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS mkII | 50mm F/1.8 |Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | 580EX mkII

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
May 24, 2017 13:48 |  #2

aox wrote in post #18360304 (external link)
Hope this is the correct forum (Mods, can you move the thread if I messed up?)

I'm on my way to Egypt Wednesday for a photography gig. I am taking about $10K worth of equipment.

I understand I can't take my Camera body in my carry-on; however, do my lenses also have to go under? I have about $7K worth of lenses and would like to keep them on my person. I called the TSA and the Office of Public Affairs and both said they had no idea. OPA told me to call the airline. How does that help and how will they help me when I am stuck at customs? That's like asking me to call BMW for my expired license plate.

Any insight you guys have would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

I often had a bag with like 5 or 6 lenses and 1-2 cameras worth around 8000$ and never had a problem taking it in hand luggage.

Your best bet would really be to call the airline since they can tell you exactly what their regulations are.

Hope that helps and have a nice (and safe) trip!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jun 03, 2017 04:47 |  #3

I think the OP's issue relates to the impending cabin ban on anything electronic larger than a cellphone for flights between the US and certain countries/airports, Egypt being one of them.

(see: http://money.cnn.com ...lectronics-ban-explainer/ (external link) )

To be honest I think you'll likely run into the same old issue of hit-and-miss where some security deem stuff acceptable, and others won't.
They're basicly attempting to remove the risk of someone bringing on something that can go bang, and a lens (especially on it's own) could raise flags purely by it's shape.

If it were me, I'd be looking to change flights so you weren't flying direct between the endpoints concerned but at this late stage you probably don't have a choice.
Can't say whether you'll have an issue with onboard lenses at the gate, but if you put the gear in the hold at least you'll know you won't have trouble boarding.
I know insurance would be a must, but if it goes missing you might not easily going find replacements - bit of a dilemma for sure.

Hope it all works out...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by frozenframe.
Jun 06, 2017 09:54 |  #4

I don't think the OP would have a problem flying from the US to Egypt. Everything that I've read is directed to flights to or through the US from any of the listed countries. So he could carry his gear on board leaving, but the return trip is what will be the problem.

There's also key wording that would catch you, such as final destination. So trying to fly from one of those countries to a country not listed in the ban, then flying from there back to the US, could still place you in the ban, if you simply would use a connecting flight, ie; booking your entire trip in advance that could show that your final destination is the US. If it were possible, fly to another country not-listed, and that country showing as the final destination, then booking another flight back to the US. However that could be very time consuming, and probably more expensive.

Anymore to cause major disruptions, all these terrorist organizations need to do is make it known what they could be planning, and not necessarily have full intentions on carrying it out. End result, they cause us to dance to their tunes.

Ron
My Gear List

hawkeye69
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2017
Mesa, Arizona USA
Sep 20, 2017 11:39 as a reply to frozenframe's post |  #5

It's an older thread but I'll comment for anyone with future plans:

I've traveled to Egypt many times via Egyptair and always brought my gear in a carry-on without any difficulty. Leaving Egypt, they will ask you to turn on your camera and other electronic equipment as well.

3,399 views & 2 likes for this thread
Traveling to Egypt
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.