Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 26 May 2017 (Friday) 11:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Your Impressions on my larest wedding in Southport UK.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
May 26, 2017 11:45 |  #1

Two from my latest wedding.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
May 26, 2017 11:47 |  #2

Haven't figured why I'm not able to post more than two images at a time yet. Anyone suggest why please? Anyway, here's two more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
May 26, 2017 11:55 |  #3

And two more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
May 30, 2017 08:24 |  #4

Nice work.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

F2Bthere
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
May 30, 2017 09:48 |  #5

You have done well at the most important aspect of the work--capturing emotion and expression. If you do that well, other details pale in comparison. If you fail at that, the image fails even if technically perfect. So, well done.

The suggestions I offer are to improve post processing of images or to suggest ways to think about how you approach future work.

I think the B&W is stronger for these images. Even for the ink.

In general, I think choosing color OR B&W is better than mixing it up. Same for how you treat the color (one looks "Instagram filtered"). I would present the work as a unified body. If they want an individual framed image, going a different direction works fine. But images presented together are better unified.

Your work is strong enough to stand up well in B&W, so this is how I would go. I like your B&W conversion of Image 5--simple and clean, and they would all look better that way, imo. You could also go with a warm toned monochrome look or even a monochromatic color version (bring the tones together in a brown range--a more complicated maneuver).

The silhouette was a nice choice and a good catch. The black corner on the upper right of the first image detracts. It is much stronger if that is cropped out (or replaced--depends if you are more PJ or more PS ;) ).

Second image the blue curtain and green exit sign are distracting, especially the exit sign. I would like a little more on the bottom and less on the top. Fully cropping the exit sign would be hard without losing the nice frame created by the door. Going to B&W and burning the sign so it distracts less would strengthen it substantially (or taking it out entirely with PS if you are so inclined).

Third image I would crop in to her back a bit, since this angle shows her back in an unflattering way. Crop out the back bulge, keep in the nice shoulder line.

Not as much of a problem in the fourth image but I would still crop it in the same way (keep shoulder line, lose bulge). The light person behind her adds nothing good and acts as a visual distraction, so cropping her out will substantially strengthen the image. A little more on top would have been nice but it still works.

I like the B&W of te fifth image. Would have liked a bit more on the bottom to complete the hands. Play with cropping off some of the left side to get good balance.

Last image, I would crop the left side to eliminate the distracting arm. I would crop some off the bottom to strengthen the image. The blue line of light is distracting but going to B&W should fix that. The sign on the door and shadow in top edge are distracting. I would gently lighten the man with the pool cue so it looks naturally motivated but better illuminated. The way the light is coming down on the table will make this seem believable.

If I were leaving the last image in color, I would play up the cool background gently and clean up the color slightly for a nice balance.

I'm guessing they will like these, especially if you add the finishing touches to the image.

I well realize that under the pressure of the moment, you can't get all the things I suggested (isn't time or space for the half step back, etc.). I offer this feedback, as I would give it to myself, since this helps me on the next set of images.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
May 30, 2017 11:41 |  #6

Great points above. Everything happens so quickly that you will find post processing often is your best friend. And yes to removing the signs. I pull most of them when my eye goes to them.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
May 30, 2017 12:21 |  #7

Agree with most comments. Last image, I had the choice of cropping the arm and losing corner of table. I thought loosing arm made it look odd. Sign on two, yes yes yes, I'll try healing brush. Losing her back on a couple of them, well it means losing veil, which removes something. First image, again I agree, will try a clone. I value both of your inputs.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
May 30, 2017 12:57 |  #8

F2Bthere wrote in post #18366494 (external link)
You have done well at the most important aspect of the work--capturing emotion and expression. If you do that well, other details pale in comparison. If you fail at that, the image fails even if technically perfect. So, well done.

The suggestions I offer are ... ... ...

By way of C&C on your C&C ... I think this is a really good example of how to deliver C&C well.

The post picks up on the positives and doesn't just jump on the negatives. Where there is something that looks like it could be improved, it is straightforward and clear about it ... and there are constructive ideas about how improvements could be made in practice. But it doesn't 'lay down the law'.

If I were on the receiving end of this, I'd feel that the poster was trying to help me move forwards and I'd be open to the suggestions made

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Pekka.
May 30, 2017 13:54 |  #9

Colin Glover wrote in post #18363508 (external link)
Haven't figured why I'm not able to post more than two images at a time yet. Anyone suggest why please?

Please see our image rules for the reason: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=194511

Link to the "simple version" is there in the upload tool info text: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/imagerul​es.php

Basically, you may attach (upload) 2 images per post, unless you get replies and requests for more. If you embed images (host image somewhere else and display them here using IMG tags), you can put 8 images per post.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

F2Bthere
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
May 30, 2017 23:10 |  #10

I would love to see where you end up with the images.

GTR3451
200 posts
Joined Jul 2013
atlanta, ga, USA
May 30, 2017 23:41 |  #11

F2B provided very elaborate CC that I agree with as well. I also like a unified theme of post processing when it comes to a wedding set, I like consistency.

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L f/4 | Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
May 31, 2017 05:17 |  #12

Agree totally. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

erikfig
Goldmember
2,140 posts
Joined May 2012
Orlando, FL
May 31, 2017 13:33 |  #13

Good set but your PP make the images looks like the wedding was in the film days.

Who cares about my gear?
FlickR (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Jun 01, 2017 12:13 as a reply to erikfig's post |  #14

Well, Erik, that's my special edits. The normal colour versions of each will be given as well. I like vintage edits.

F2Bthere
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Jun 01, 2017 12:43 |  #15

I thought he was joking. Looking "like film" is a common goal among higher-end wedding photographers.

I might be wrong... :)

sponsored links

1,864 views & 5 likes for this thread
Your Impressions on my larest wedding in Southport UK.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.