Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 27 May 2017 (Saturday) 00:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How do you use social media? What do you do in the offseason? Which social media?

grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Oklahoma
May 27, 2017 00:28 |  #1

TLDR: Which social media platforms do you use, what do you post and when in relation to your events you shoot.

For me, I mainly shoot supermoto(think dirt bikes on street tires, that race on gokart tracks with usually a small dirt section) and the race season is from March-October, one race per month. I'm trying to find more gigs to go to (paid or not) so I have quite a bit of downtime in the offseason and a few weeks before each race.

A week before the race, on my facebook page I usually post highlights from the track that I've taken in the past and try to hype up the event. I usually tag each racer that I post(has 1-3 racers in one photo) to drive engagement and also tag the racing org and the track(if they have a facebook page). I think the tagging helps get engagement because the person I tag sees the post(if they liked my page, which they usually have) and also the racer's friends see it if they comment/like.
The day of the race I go out and shoot. I try to post a picture of the track with all the people there at the start as I "check in". If I get a really good shot throughout the races, I'll copy it to my phone, use a program to apply my watermark and post it to my page throughout the day. That process I've gotten down to about 3 minutes done between a race. Usually gets racers that saw it posted online to approach me and ask if I got any good ones of them and sometimes gets me a sale.
After the race I'll go thru and sort photos, and if I find another good shot, I'll post it on facebook, tag the racer/race organization/track. Once I start to get a backlog of pictures(I try to limit to one post every 2 hours) I'll start to schedule the posts out. I'll find a few photos the night after the race and I'll schedule those out to be posted throughout the week.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Jun 01, 2017 23:08 |  #2

I am still sorting my social media but plan to do the same thing you do pre event - post images from previous ones. I shoot field sports not motor sports. I post a few key action shots and tag the players in them but I also have a "social media possible" keyword that I apply to any images that might be suitable. These get pulled into a Lightroom Smart Collection which for later/off season use.

When reviewing these I not only look for a few key action shots for off season posting, I also look to compile sets of images that fit an (often light hearted) theme. One example is the World Levitation Rugby Championships - shots of the players running where all or most of their feet aren't touching the ground. I can add to these collections over time and post a group of images either en-mass or over a week.

I post to Instagram in groups of 3, 6 or 9 so that it fits the grid system. I won't necessarily post 3 at once but over the course of a few days it will be 3, 6 or 9 images from a game. When I post images from the archives I often post them as B&W or with a slightly retro PP style so that they stand out from the regular images.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

533 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you use social media? What do you do in the offseason? Which social media?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.