Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 27 May 2017 (Saturday) 15:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

External mic = noise?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 27, 2017 15:07 |  #1

I have a rode videomicro that I use with my gopro, but I wanted to try it with my canon 5d mark IV. The audio sounds a bit better, but there is horrible noise/interference added. No problems like this with the gopro.

Anyone else have this situation? Anything I can do? I have heard it's better to use a powered mic (which I don't have) but surely an unpowered mic would still be acceptable, especially since it even works with a little gopro?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,614 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
May 27, 2017 15:11 |  #2

Does it sound like wind, or mechanical "noise"?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
May 27, 2017 15:48 |  #3

As a diagnostic matter, [1] did you test the audio with this mic and the 5d4 on one occasion or more than one occasion (getting at whether or not there was interference), [2] did you later test the same mic with the gopro again (to rule out a failure of the mic or cable), and [3] have you ever tried a different external mic with the 5d4 (in order to rule out a failure of the 5d4's mic port whether it be a mechanical failure or some type of obstruction)?

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
May 27, 2017 16:01 |  #4

https://youtu.be/83nbt​dHQeMw (external link) Watch the last five minutes. It will likely fix your issue.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 29, 2017 15:47 |  #5

I don't want to hijack, but don't want to start another mic thread if I can budge in here a bit.

I was interested in this mic since when shooting videos with my 5D4, my lenses are LOUD with AI Servo on. It's constantly focusing, so it's pretty much unusable.

Will this mic get around the focusing noise? I will likely be using a Canon 35mm f2.0 IS (IS off) or the 24-70 f2.8 II. Or should I get something else?

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2008
Post has been last edited 18 days ago by Spacemunkie. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 04, 2017 21:59 |  #6

No mic will get around noisy lenses - it's their job to pick up sound! Get the mic off camera - use an extension and/or bracket, or better still use an external recorder and sync in post.

As for the noisy mic on a 5D4, look no further than the crappy preamp inside Canon DSLRs. My 5D2 audio is hideous in comparison even to an iPhone or GoPro. That little Rode isn't the quietest mic out there, but it always sounds awful in my 5D2. Turn down your in-camera record level and raise in post if needed - but you're honestly better off just recording your audio externally and syncing.

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post has been edited 18 days ago by Spacemunkie.
Sep 04, 2017 23:12 |  #7

Here's a quick comparison between the Rode Videomicro on a Canon and on a GH4. Quite a substantial difference. Similar story plugged into a DJI Osmo or GoPro :(

davesrose
Goldmember
2,708 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 04, 2017 23:58 |  #8

I found that the powered Rhode video pro works better on my Canon vs non-powered mics (which does exhibit noise at even reduced recorded audio levels). Rhode claims an extra 20db improvement with the amplification/filter of the 9 volt powered version. The length of the microphone might help reduce some lens noise, but it won't eliminate it.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Sep 05, 2017 07:39 |  #9

I just picked this up for $43: https://www.amazon.com​/gp/product/B06XB63MG5​/ (external link)

Just a cheapo solution to get around the lens noise. A HUGE improvement but not perfect. It's good enough for me. I just wanted anything but the camera mic for recording some youtube videos.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007
North West UK
Sep 07, 2017 16:46 |  #10

Having levels set to 75% is way too high.

I've seen it recommended to set manual audio levels at 1 or 2 clicks above minimum and then sort it out in post - will give a much nicer result as it minimises the impact of the crappy Canon in-built pre-amp.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Sep 12, 2017 22:09 |  #11

Of course it is. I didn't set the levels to be noise free. I set them to be as close as I could get them to compare the noise floor of both cameras.

You missed the point of the clip somewhat - WHATEVER you do with the settings on the Canon, its audio is never going to be as clean as the Panny - or even a GoPro or DJI Osmo. Record audio off camera!

MrWho
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Post has been edited 6 days ago by MrWho.
Sep 16, 2017 15:08 |  #12

Is 75% something on the camera itself (never used camera controls - no headphone jack)?

Also, I'll vouch for the external audio recorder being the right way to go 100% of the time unless space won't allow for one in the bag. I've only used Marantz recorders, but there are comparisons up on youtube for DSLR vs external sound recorders, it really is night and day. Just to give an idea, I just finished a recording session on a PMD661, and it will clean up nicely enough to be considered broadcast quality.

Gear

sponsored links

1,965 views & 2 likes for this thread
External mic = noise?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.