Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 29 May 2017 (Monday) 22:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Yet another Disney thread...

Moonshiner
461 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Mil-yucky, Whiskonsin
May 29, 2017 22:37 |  #1

Hello all..

Rather than stomp all over the year old thread that was revived recently, I figured I'd start my own thread.

This September, we are off to the human trap run by a mouse in Orlando, F.L.A. We plan on getting the photo package affording us the opportunity to have me in the pictures. I do plan on taking one of my cameras. More than likely it will be the t3i to which I will remove the grip to make it smaller and lighter. While I could do the same thing with the 7D, I think either machine will be just as effective. So, my question (similar to the other thread) is which lenses should I bring? I am not averse to buying something and turning it over quickly if it's only for the trip. I feel that taking any of my zooms over 200mm is probably not going to be used/useful. We're going to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot only. We're going to do some other sights like Sea World etc...

I am interested to know your experiences... or opinions...

My gear:

Cameras:
Gripped t3i
Gripped 7d

Lenses:
-Primes
Canon 24 2.8
Sigma 30 1.4
Canon 85 1.8

-Zooms
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-200 F4L
Tamron 70-300
Sigma 150-600 (not going to bring this....)

I sold my nifty fifty and nifty two-fifty recently but would either up as they are cheap... My main close quarters/indoor lens is the Sigma 30mm. Outside would be the 85mm.

I am interested in your collective thoughts...

Thanks!

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.
May 29, 2017 23:52 |  #2

This one is pretty easy to me. Since you're ditching the grip I'm assuming you're trying to travel as light as possible. I'd take a camera body (i would opt for the 7D but that's just me) and the 15-85. Nothing else. That gives you a 25-136 equivalent. That would be more than enough for me if I was just trying to capture memories. I think your back will thank you after walking around all day without multiple lenses that you most likely won't even use.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Moonshiner
THREAD ­ STARTER
461 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Mil-yucky, Whiskonsin
May 30, 2017 11:22 |  #3

Thanks for the opinion... I was also swaying towards this lens as well. I was also contemplating the 30 or 85 for the nighttime stuff... The body hasn't been fully decided but if there was an issue with loss, damage, theft, I'd rather it be the Rebel... Yes, there are real advantages with the 7D so I will consider that under advisement...

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Jun 01, 2017 13:01 |  #4

I'm in the same boat, heading down in August. I see you're from Milwaukee too, you flying or driving?

I have a 50d & SL1 and am planning to take the SL1 for the size advantage. As far as lenses, I haven't really decided yet. I'm leaning toward the 24mm pancake for my wide angle option along with the 50 and 55-250. I'm half-heartedly considering buying a 24-105 f4 and only taking that and one fast prime.

My lenses:
Canon 10-18
Canon 24 2.8
Sigma 30 1.4
Canon 40 2.8
Canon 50 1.8
Canon 85 1.8
Canon 100 2.8
Canon 55-250

My Gearand Feedback
My 365 Project (Est. 5/1/10)external link

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,733 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jun 01, 2017 14:47 |  #5

Disney without a UWA? If I were inclined to spend my vacation with a camera, and a slew of children (ewww!), I'd be taking a UWA (Σ12-24?/6D) and little else.

Tom

Moonshiner
THREAD ­ STARTER
461 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Mil-yucky, Whiskonsin
Jun 01, 2017 20:21 as a reply to kayl's post |  #6

We are flying... Got a pretty good deal with some good times... I thought about getting a "longer" zoom than the 15-85. But I am not certain how much I will need it. This is our first time... I will be better prepared on the second go-round... :)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Jun 14, 2017 13:45 |  #7

As a former Disney Cast Member, and someone who is at the parks right now visiting, the longest lens you will need is a 50mm equivalent. And there are lots of times when that is too long. If you want to shoot a parade, I can see 100mm.

As for body, go as light as possible. The parks are hot and humid, and it rains around 2pm many days so be advised.

I've shot with many combinations there and universal.

--a6000/16-50--best experience by far. So light and unobtrusive, and wide enough. SL1/pancake would be similar, I would think in terms of footprint.

--6D/40mm was a solid combo and really light. Wished it were wider several times.

---6D/17-40. Perfect performance but slightly large if we are nit-picking.

--a7r/55 1.8 - - crazy good IQ, if it isn't moving quick. The right size.

--a7r /24 f2--heavier than I would like, slow focus, but 24mm is perfect for the parks most of the time.

--60D/30 1.4--heavier than I liked, similar IQ and POV to 6D/40mm. Didn't need the wide aperture hardly ever.

--60D/50 1.8--light, but too long much of the time.

--rx100ii--The way to go.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Moonshiner
THREAD ­ STARTER
461 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Mil-yucky, Whiskonsin
Jun 14, 2017 22:49 |  #8

Thanks for the info!

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Aug 10, 2017 19:28 as a reply to kayl's post |  #9

Our trip is fast approaching, thought I'd update the thread with my (mostly) finalized kit:

Body:
Canon SL1

Lenses:
Canon 10-18 -or- Samyang 14 f2.8 (Still undecided between these two)
Canon 24 f2.8 or 40 f2.8 (I want a STM lens for videos)
Canon 24-105 f4
Sigma 30 f1.4

Flash:
430ex II

Bag:
Lowepro Photosport 15L or 10L (I own both and am going to have both along with me...we'll see which I prefer. The 15L isn't that much bigger than the 10L and will give me space for a raincoat, kids stuff, etc.)

I'm planning on taking my 55-250 to Animal Kingdom and will have my pelican along with all my lenses, so I'll be able to switch out as I please. I'm planning on mainly using the 24-105.

My Gearand Feedback

Moonshiner
THREAD ­ STARTER
461 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Mil-yucky, Whiskonsin
Aug 10, 2017 21:07 as a reply to kayl's post |  #10

Ours is fast approaching as well... Looks like you are traveling with a lot of stuff... Are you doing anything other than Disney?

hait0622
35 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 11, 2017 09:09 |  #11

I would take the 7d, 17-85, 70-200, sigma 30, and the 85. Since it's a crop the 70-200 would be really good for sea world and the Disney shows. The 30 for indoors like you said and even for a walk around lens. 85 for those gotta have potraights outside.

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Post has been edited 4 months ago by kayl.
Aug 11, 2017 13:07 |  #12

Moonshiner wrote in post #18424514 (external link)
Ours is fast approaching as well... Looks like you are traveling with a lot of stuff... Are you doing anything other than Disney?

We're doing a roadtrip down and a meandering drive back. Assuming we time everything correctly, we'll be in the band of totality for the lunar eclipse.
The reason I'm bringing all of my lenses is that we won't be going back to Disney anytime soon and I'd rather be able to change up my kit if needed than regret leaving stuff at home. :)

hait0622 wrote in post #18424806 (external link)
I would take the 7d, 17-85, 70-200, sigma 30, and the 85. Since it's a crop the 70-200 would be really good for sea world and the Disney shows. The 30 for indoors like you said and even for a walk around lens. 85 for those gotta have potraights outside.

Well crap, now you're making me want to carry my 85 too! Too many great lenses, too little space! :-D

My Gearand Feedback

hait0622
35 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 11, 2017 18:21 as a reply to kayl's post |  #13

Bring it!!!

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Aug 24, 2017 00:41 |  #14

Well, my trip has come and gone and I have some thoughts on the kit I brought.

I used the 24-105 for the vast majority of shots I took. The 30mm was used for a few low light ride shots and the 10-18 was used for a handful of shots. I never used the 14mm Samyang, although if we'd spent much time in the parks after dark, it and my MeFoto Globetrotter CF would have seen a lot of use.

When we go again, I'll probably bring the 24-105, a wide angle, and a 30ish fast lense. I used my flash a lot with characters and would definitely bring one along next time.

The Flipside Sport AW 15 was a fantastic bag and did a great job protecting my gear from rain and wet rides. I only had my tripod along for the evening that we saw fireworks and didn't have another time that I missed it. If I hadn't been there with kids and had been focusing on photos I would have missed it more.

I haven't gone through my photos yet, but I'll be sure to post a few.

My Gearand Feedback

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Aug 27, 2017 08:19 as a reply to kayl's post |  #15

After a quick review of 1 day of photos I figured out one thing I'll definitely do different next time. *If* my kids are still into the princesses and will want to get photos with them, I'll bring my 580ex and a flash battery pack. Time is very limited with the characters and I definitely missed a few shots because my flash was still recharging and didn't fire.

My Gearand Feedback

sponsored links

4,558 views & 11 likes for this thread
Yet another Disney thread...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.