Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 30 May 2017 (Tuesday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Backup best practice, backup software reviews, and cloud backup provider reviews

tim
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 6 months ago by tim.
May 30, 2017 21:04 |  #1

I've written a series of articles about backups, backup software, cloud backups, and cloud storage. The idea is to give people an introduction to backups, why they should do them, how they should do them, and the best way to achieve it.

You can the main backup software article here (external link). From there you can access reviews of specific pieces of software or cloud backups, near the bottom of the article.

I'm interested in:

• General feedback
  • Errors or areas that could be improved
  • Areas that could be clarified, simplified, or expanded
  • Suggestions for other backup software or cloud backup providers I should consider. Note that I'll probably only do reviews if they're cross platform.

I'm not interested in:
  • Abuse of any kind
  • Arguments - this is my opinion, but I'm willing to makes changes based on well reasoned discussion

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,499 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 6 months ago by John from PA.
May 31, 2017 06:19 |  #2

Unable to access...anyone else having issues?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,260 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 31, 2017 09:43 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #3

Nope, I glanced at the article last night, with intention to return and read when I have more time...and was just able to get to it again moments ago.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 31, 2017 15:59 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #18367244 (external link)
Unable to access...anyone else having issues?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by John from PA in
./showthread.php?p=183​67244&i=i75578344
forum: Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Works for me? Is your operating system and Chrome up to date?

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 31, 2017 16:02 |  #5

Sorry, I made some changes to my CDN and firewall and managed to take the site down for an hour or so last night. It's back up again now.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
May 31, 2017 16:39 |  #6

Care to explain the reasoning for 3 copies?

I have always done two. One live copy and the backup. Backup is kept offsite. I could see in a production environment maybe wanting a quick fail over but not sure that applies to a lot of photographers.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 31, 2017 16:42 |  #7

silvrr wrote in post #18367763 (external link)

I have always done two. One live copy and the backup. Backup is kept offsite. I could see in a production environment maybe wanting a quick fail over but not sure that applies to a lot of photographers.

One copy is so fragile that it's considered "no" copy, so deduct 1 from however many copies you think you have.

Also, while updating your backup, it becomes vulnerable. Having a 3rd copy enables you to always have one copy offline/offsite.

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 31, 2017 16:44 |  #8

silvrr wrote in post #18367763 (external link)

3-2-1 is a general backup rule, not one I made up. Primary plus one offsite copy is probably sufficient, but to be really safe another copy would be good.

Also note the difference between copy and an incremental, versioned backup. I suggest you have both.

silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
May 31, 2017 16:56 |  #9

mike_d wrote in post #18367765 (external link)
One copy is so fragile that it's considered "no" copy, so deduct 1 from however many copies you think you have.

Also, while updating your backup, it becomes vulnerable. Having a 3rd copy enables you to always have one copy offline/offsite.

tim wrote in post #18367766 (external link)
3-2-1 is a general backup rule, not one I made up. Primary plus one offsite copy is probably sufficient, but to be really safe another copy would be good.

Also note the difference between copy and an incremental, versioned backup. I suggest you have both.

Thats what I figured as the reason for the multiple back up copies. I have thought about if one drive dies that I then have a single point of failure before I lose all my data. Nothing really important, more just nice to have (pictures, old seed files, ect.)

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
May 31, 2017 17:30 |  #10

I have a Mac Pro with three internal drives, two in a mirrored set up and one a (bootable) Super Duper clone. Then I have one external drive with Time Machine and another external drive that just holds my images and most important files (I simply copy the latest stuff - photos mostly - to the drive once a week manually). Both external drives are disconnected.

Since the ransomware attack I'm thinking it might be better to take the Super Duper clone out of the Mac Pro, make it external as well. I've been looking at casings and docking stations. Not sure what would be best.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 31, 2017 17:38 |  #11

Clones / mirrors don't much a place in a backup system. Incremental versioned or manual copies are best. Also you should assume your primary location will burn in a fire, so everything you think is important should be offsite.

I'm giving up on external disks and third party enclosures, they all fail eventually, and even good brand third party enclosures fail after a year or two. I've just purchased (but not yet received) thisSATA to USB3 docking station (external link) for drives, this USB 3.0 card (external link) (my motherboard USB3 isn't great and I broke a port), and these hard drive cases (external link).

I tend to use HGST hard drives (external link), but I had Seagate for years that were generally ok, and my 2TB western digital black has been going for years - it's probably well past when it should've failed. Nothing on it is critical but I should probably back it up fully some time.

JonKline
190 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Chicago and sometimes Milwaukee
May 31, 2017 18:03 |  #12

Useful info. I find most people can't be convinced to back much up, unless it's incredibly easy and automatic. I get emails asking for files from 4+ years ago all the time, as if it's my job to back up the client's data. The shift to cloud storage can't come soon enough for me.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee DP (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Epic Dragon (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 31, 2017 18:34 |  #13

JonKline wrote in post #18367820 (external link)
Useful info. I find most people can't be convinced to back much up, unless it's incredibly easy and automatic.

This is why I recommend Crashplan as a primary backup for most people. It's as close to "set and forget" as you can get. Well, until they ignore the emails begging for renewal. Sigh.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
May 31, 2017 19:12 |  #14

tim wrote in post #18367794 (external link)
Clones / mirrors don't much a place in a backup system. Incremental versioned or manual copies are best. Also you should assume your primary location will burn in a fire, so everything you think is important should be offsite.

I'm giving up on external disks and third party enclosures, they all fail eventually, and even good brand third party enclosures fail after a year or two. I've just purchased (but not yet received) thisSATA to USB3 docking station (external link) for drives, this USB 3.0 card (external link) (my motherboard USB3 isn't great and I broke a port), and these hard drive cases (external link).

I tend to use HGST hard drives (external link), but I had Seagate for years that were generally ok, and my 2TB western digital black has been going for years - it's probably well past when it should've failed. Nothing on it is critical but I should probably back it up fully some time.

Time Machine is incremental of course but it's not bootable. Well, actually, it is, but it takes some doing and you need the installation disc, so it's not exactly plug and play. And install discs at some time will also fail. So I bought Super Duper and love it. It's just nice to know I have a bootable clone of my hard drive.

If I'm going to remove the Super Duper drive then I'll need a docking station too. I've been looking at them this past week and reading that horizontal is probably best, I decided on this Inateck docking station: https://www.inateck.co​m ...-hdd-docking-station.html (external link)

I always buy WD. Right now I have WD Blacks in my Mac Pro. But I'm thinking of maybe getting a 4TB Green for an extra back-up that I could store off-site.

I hadn't thought of storage cases. Those look nice. I'll look for something similar here.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

tim
THREAD ­ STARTER
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 31, 2017 19:29 |  #15

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18367863 (external link)
Time Machine is incremental of course but it's not bootable. Well, actually, it is, but it takes some doing and you need the installation disc, so it's not exactly plug and play. And install discs at some time will also fail. So I bought Super Duper and love it. It's just nice to know I have a bootable clone of my hard drive.

If I'm going to remove the Super Duper drive then I'll need a docking station too. I've been looking at them this past week and reading that horizontal is probably best, I decided on this Inateck docking station: https://www.inateck.co​m ...-hdd-docking-station.html (external link)

I always buy WD. Right now I have WD Blacks in my Mac Pro. But I'm thinking of maybe getting a 4TB Green for an extra back-up that I could store off-site.

I hadn't thought of storage cases. Those look nice. I'll look for something similar here.

Sure, if time machine is incremental and holds versions, great. Just make sure a copy is stored offsite.

I haven't even gone into operating system images, that's a separate topic altogether.

I have one WD Green for backups, one HGST, and one I can't remember. I got those cases from ebay, $22 for 5 from memory.

sponsored links

2,498 views & 2 likes for this thread
Backup best practice, backup software reviews, and cloud backup provider reviews
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.