Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 02 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New macro diffuser for MT24-EX

JasonC007
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 02, 2017 11:19 |  #1

Hi All,

I just thought I would share some new diffusers that I have just finished designing and making for my Canon MT24-EX twin flash and MP-E65 lens.

Just like everyone else I have made many DIY jobs out of paper etc but decided it was time to make them a bit more professional so I designed them in CAD and 3D printed them.

Everything you see below is 3D printed apart form the magnets which are used to attached the different diffusion faces to the main body. I have even designed the flash mounts and a box to store the diffusion faces when travelling :)

I hope you like!

Jason

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |
Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Jun 02, 2017 12:08 |  #2

Really cooll Jason and thanks for sharing!

I know that 3-D printing has come a long way but after seeing some many "toys" that people have fabricated this is very impressive. It's obvious you put a lot of design work and effort into this. What do you plan to use for light sources behind the diffusers? Also when you get a chance I'd love to see some sample results. Keep at it! :-)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 02, 2017 12:31 |  #3

sapearl wrote in post #18369218 (external link)
Really cooll Jason and thanks for sharing!

I know that 3-D printing has come a long way but after seeing some many "toys" that people have fabricated this is very impressive. It's obvious you put a lot of design work and effort into this. What do you plan to use for light sources behind the diffusers? Also when you get a chance I'd love to see some sample results. Keep at it! :-)

Yes 3d printing has come along, although I am fairly new to it myself.

The light behind them is a Canon MT24-EX twin flash but, I have had some friends ask for some to be made for their flashes so I'm going to be busy!

I haven't taken a huge amount of photos with them yet but here are a couple:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 80D | 24-105L | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | MP-E65 f/2.8 1-5x Macro | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 10mm Fisheye | EF 24mm f/2.8 Pancake | MT-24EX | 600EX-RT |

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Jun 02, 2017 12:54 |  #4

JasonC007 wrote in post #18369230 (external link)

Yes 3d printing has come along, although I am fairly new to it myself.

The light behind them is a Canon MT24-EX twin flash but, I have had some friends ask for some to be made for their flashes so I'm going to be busy!

I haven't taken a huge amount of photos with them yet but here are a couple:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by JasonC007 in
./showthread.php?p=183​69230&i=i111060948
forum: Macro Talk
./showthread.php?p=183​69230&i=i180016139

Thanks! I don't know all my Canon nomenclature as well as I should - did not realize that the MT24-EX was the actual flash unit and I appreciate the clarification. It gives some very nice even illumination.

I just got the 100mm f/2.8 IS a couple of months ago and have been experimenting only with natural light. I'm curious: had you considered one of the models of ring flash on the market? I have no idea what the difference would be between the two types from the standpoint of real world results.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 02, 2017 13:20 |  #5

sapearl wrote in post #18369250 (external link)
Thanks! I don't know all my Canon nomenclature as well as I should - did not realize that the MT24-EX was the actual flash unit and I appreciate the clarification. It gives some very nice even illumination.

I just got the 100mm f/2.8 IS a couple of months ago and have been experimenting only with natural light. I'm curious: had you considered one of the models of ring flash on the market? I have no idea what the difference would be between the two types from the standpoint of real world results.

Ring flashes tend to give ring highlights in shiny subjects.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 02, 2017 13:25 |  #6

JasonC007 wrote in post #18369189 (external link)
Hi All,

I just thought I would share some new diffusers that I have just finished designing and making for my Canon MT24-EX twin flash and MP-E65 lens.

Just like everyone else I have made many DIY jobs out of paper etc but decided it was time to make them a bit more professional so I designed them in CAD and 3D printed them.

Everything you see below is 3D printed apart form the magnets which are used to attached the different diffusion faces to the main body. I have even designed the flash mounts and a box to store the diffusion faces when travelling :)

I hope you like!

Jason
./showthread.php?p=183​69189&i=i213025405
./showthread.php?p=183​69189&i=i185710351

Very clever. The pic looks good too.

Did you consider making the faces in a trapezoid shape so the two would mate when mounted?

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 02, 2017 16:34 |  #7

I made a living out of computer-aided design and manufacturing systems that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a single workstation, including employment at a Fortune 100 company which had a presence in CAD/CAM and factory automation, over a 25 year period of my lifetime.
Until I saw your collection of CAD designed and printed accessories, I thought the 3D printers for home use were more of a plaything or a curiosity for kids to play with at the public library...3D 'machining' with a printer had just emerged from the first company about 1986! Color me significantly impressed. And my wife may curse you loudly for inciting me to get a 3D printer! Which printer did you use, and which software to model the parts?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,055 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 02, 2017 16:52 |  #8

the MT24-EX was the actual flash unit and I appreciate the clarification. It gives some very nice even illumination.

... I'm curious: had you considered one of the models of ring flash on the market? I have no idea what the difference would be between the two types from the standpoint of real world results.

Ring flashes were invented long ago (film days) to provide very even illumination with little shadowing, primarily for use in scientific photography or industrial photography, where 'making a product look appealing for sales purposes' was not the main consideration. Dentists used them to illuminate for photos inside the patients' mouths to document dentistry, for example, with this specific SLR.
http://camerapedia.wik​ia.com/wiki/Yashica_De​ntal_Eye (external link)
Ring lights later became gigantic in size and conscripted into a twisted form of fashion photography I think in NYC during the late 1990s and then used in portraiture, with eirie donut shaped catchlights in the eyes.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 02, 2017 17:01 |  #9

I would also be interested in some details re the printer and software. Are the things you make reasonably strong, so as to be able to function as a replacement part in some other gadget?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 03, 2017 01:04 |  #10

I also have the 100mm 2.8 IS, its a great lens and I use that for general macro stuff. As others have mentioned already, ring flashes provided a very even light and don't allow you to be that artistic with light, with a twin flash you can change angles quite easily to achieve this. You also need a decent quality ring flash, it has to be bright for macro otherwise your wasting your money!

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 03, 2017 01:10 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #11

Yes I did but, I also use these mounted to some other mounts which meant the shape did not need to be trapezoid, however, I am designing some additional faces that will provide different levels of light and shape, such as the one shown below. I may also create a couple that are trapezoid if people show interest in these, I already have a few people buying these ones as they are.

HOSTED PHOTO

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 03, 2017 01:16 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18369418 (external link)
I made a living out of computer-aided design and manufacturing systems that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a single workstation, including employment at a Fortune 100 company which had a presence in CAD/CAM and factory automation, over a 25 year period of my lifetime.
Until I saw your collection of CAD designed and printed accessories, I thought the 3D printers for home use were more of a plaything or a curiosity for kids to play with at the public library...3D 'machining' with a printer had just emerged from the first company about 1986! Color me significantly impressed. And my wife may curse you loudly for inciting me to get a 3D printer! Which printer did you use, and which software to model the parts?

That's great. I've been doing 2d and 3d CAD for about about 25 years myself now. The company I own designs exhibition layouts using a CAD system I have designed and got developed so, like you I have an advantage when it comes to being able to design and draw things like this, it is very useful!

Since I've bought the printer 3 months ago it hasn't stopped printing! I've printed many things for the house/car etc which needed improving/fixing and which would not have been possible by just going and buying something because either the part doesn't exist or is not available.

Because this was my first 3d printer I went with one that was supposed to work straight out of the box, which is did but, it does require some tweaking to get the prints coming out good. I still haven't perfected that yet but they are not bad at all. My printer is a Luzlbot Mini and I design my parts using Autodesk Fusion 360 because you can pretty much draw anything in that and it is parametric.

JasonC007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Derbyshire
Jun 03, 2017 01:21 |  #13

Archibald wrote in post #18369442 (external link)
I would also be interested in some details re the printer and software. Are the things you make reasonably strong, so as to be able to function as a replacement part in some other gadget?

The printer I got is a Lulzbot Mini and works great out of the box, it is quite expensive though. You can get much cheaper ones but they usually take a lot more fiddling about to get them printing good. There is a bigger version of my printer called the TAZ 6 which I may buy soon as I've found so many things to print I can't keep up! The build plate on mine is fairly small, with a larger one I could print multiple items at the same time.

As mentioned above I use Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for hobbyists.

The parts themselves are pretty strong yes, however there are lots of different materials you can use to achieve what you need. Polycarbonate is one of the strongest but also the hardest to print with. I mainly print with PLA which is very easy to print with and is fairly strong but brittle compared to say ABS. PLA is also biodegradable and none toxic, and is what I have printed the diffusion stuff with.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 03, 2017 09:04 |  #14

JasonC007 wrote in post #18369705 (external link)
The printer I got is a Lulzbot Mini and works great out of the box, it is quite expensive though. You can get much cheaper ones but they usually take a lot more fiddling about to get them printing good. There is a bigger version of my printer called the TAZ 6 which I may buy soon as I've found so many things to print I can't keep up! The build plate on mine is fairly small, with a larger one I could print multiple items at the same time.

As mentioned above I use Autodesk Fusion 360 which is free for hobbyists.

The parts themselves are pretty strong yes, however there are lots of different materials you can use to achieve what you need. Polycarbonate is one of the strongest but also the hardest to print with. I mainly print with PLA which is very easy to print with and is fairly strong but brittle compared to say ABS. PLA is also biodegradable and none toxic, and is what I have printed the diffusion stuff with.

OK, thanks! Quite fascinating!

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
39,055 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 03, 2017 12:02 as a reply to JasonC007's post |  #15

Thx for your reply about printer model and the software that you use.
When I was involved with CAD/CAM, Autodesk had AutoCAD which was not a 3D modeller. Revit, its parametric modeller, was purchased almost 15 years later!

The Lulzbot Mini is far more money than I would ever feel motivated to throw at a casual interest, so my wife need not fret. Something like this is more up the alley of my passing interest

https://www.walmart.co​m ...2=919868952&wl13=&v​eh=sem (external link)

sponsored links

11,315 views & 18 likes for this thread
New macro diffuser for MT24-EX
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.