Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 03 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 09:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Traveling internationally with your camera gear...

dougsturgess
Joined Jul 2002
Jun 03, 2017 09:30 |  #1

What ideas have photographers thought of in case they have to travel internationally with their photo gear? If you have to check your photo equipment, what system are you going to use to pack your gear, i.e. what kind of case? Pelican? I wouldn't think checking in a ThinkTank or any other soft case would be advisable. Even with equipment insurance, the delicate components will surely encounter drops & other hard knocks along the way.

I'm asking just in case I have to travel internationally & since this is such a new issue, any ideas?

Thanks.

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.comexternal link
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,513 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jun 03, 2017 10:02 |  #2

Just like I see the day when we have to check laptops, tablets, etc (perhaps sooner than later), I think we will have to check cameras. Perhaps the policy will only apply to those with sizable batteries, only time will tell. But with what is currently available, I would be trusting Pelican or its competition with soft internal foam. You can get these cases with rigid foam which don't offer much protection from shock.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,284 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 03, 2017 11:16 |  #3

Sad, sad, sad...If you fly internationally and are not permitted to bring photographic equipment as carry-on any longer:

1. You pay the airline extra money for EACH piece of luggage you check
  2. You cannot use secure locks, but must use locks that have the TSA access capability...

so the baggage theft rings (which have been proven to operate at different locations over the past years) can look into your checked luggage with the luggage CT Scanners at every airport, identify probable theft targets, open your lock with their TSA key, and steal your valuables.

IOW, your photo equipment is protected from vibration and shocks and collision damage, but you paid extra for that case to be transported on the outbound trip and on the return trip, probably about $50 in added fees. And then you are susceptible to baggage theft rings.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jun 03, 2017 11:18 |  #4

And the TSA will copy and keep your photos.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 03, 2017 11:29 |  #5

I put all fragile camera bodies and lenses into carry-on bags. Actually, I usually travel carry-on only, even for long trips to Europe or Asia. So everything goes carry-on. So far no problems.

Judging from check-in lines, most folk have way more baggage than I do. And you may be one of them. But it should be possible to put all precious stuff into carry-on.

I would not put fragile stuff into checked luggage, because it is handled roughly, and could get wet. There is also the possibility of theft. Luggage handlers could remove your 5D4 body, or just steal the whole bag. But I have heard that airlines have cracked down on luggage theft, so that may not be such a serious problem any more.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,834 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 04, 2017 07:53 |  #6

All gear gets carried on, I won't check in with exception of a full size tripod if necessary

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2002
Jun 04, 2017 07:54 |  #7

Alveric wrote in post #18369933 (external link)
And the TSA will copy and keep your photos.

I practice always carrying my CF/SD cards in my pockets when returning from a trip, leaving the hotel room without my camera (and always keeping the "Privacy" tag on the door whether or not I'm in the room) and carry my small, USB hard drives that have all my images downloaded from the trip on my person. If my equipment gets stolen, at least I have what I can't replace. I insure my equipment through insuremyequipment.com I've never had to make a claim but gives me the peace of mind wherever I'm traveling in the world.

Doug Sturgess

Nick5
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jun 04, 2017 08:42 |  #8

Just returned home from Barcelona last night. Was thinking the same if the "Situation" should come true. If they do not allow cameras and laptops on planes, whose says you can not carry on lenses? No batteries nor communication.
ThinkTank, please call me............

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

dougsturgess
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2002
Jun 04, 2017 11:00 |  #9

Nick5 wrote in post #18370576 (external link)
Just returned home from Barcelona last night. Was thinking the same if the "Situation" should come true. If they do not allow cameras and laptops on planes, whose says you can not carry on lenses? No batteries nor communication.
ThinkTank, please call me............

That's a good point. It will be interesting to see if they call lenses electronic equipment. TSA would probably view the lenses as potential pipe bombs. Jeez.

Doug Sturgess

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Austin, Texas
Jun 07, 2017 18:04 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #10

Is this all carriers, or just some of them? It is an over-arching rule or regulation, or something instituted by particular countries or carriers?

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Jun 09, 2017 01:05 |  #11

with more and more innovative rules and regulation on international travel with electronics.
I need a camera system, smaller than my cell phone.... :-D

as of today, I squeeze and pack into my carry-on bag.
looks like I have to consider investing in m43 setup.

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 09, 2017 09:14 |  #12

alintx wrote in post #18373426 (external link)
Is this all carriers, or just some of them? It is an over-arching rule or regulation, or something instituted by particular countries or carriers?

US airlines on direct flights from certain airports mostly in the Middle East only.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
39,284 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jun 09, 2017 10:09 |  #13

alintx wrote in post #18373426 (external link)

Archibald wrote:
US airlines on direct flights from certain airports mostly in the Middle East only.

Passengers on flights from the Middle East to the United States are used to being searched and aggressively questioned before boarding. It is NOT limited to US carriers!
On U.S.-bound flights from 10 airports in the Middle East and Persian Gulf states, “all personal electronic devices larger than a cellphone or smartphone [must] be placed in checked baggage,” according to a statement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The ban applies to nonstop flights to the US from 10 international airports serving the cities of Cairo in Egypt; Amman in Jordan; Kuwait City in Kuwait; Casablanca in Morocco; Doha in Qatar; Riyadh and Jeddah in Saudi Arabia; Istanbul in Turkey; and Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, until the threat changes -- regarless of carrier.

Within the recent past, a similar ban was being considered to be imposed on all flights entering the US from EU countries as well! That idea was shelved momentarily (but not totally dismissed!) after protests of delays and costs were voiced. "Officials representing both the United States and the European Union met to discuss the possibility of extending the electronics ban to US-bound flights originating in Europe. After a meeting that lasted several hours in Brussels, it was decided that the electronics ban will not (for the present time) be expanded to include flights from Europe, however officials did say that ‘other measures were still being considered.’ "
DHS Secretary John Kelly 'made it clear' a ban on passengers carrying tablet and computer-sized electronics on board flights to the United States “is still on the table,” DHS said in a statement.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Anandnra
31 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Tennessee, USA
Jul 26, 2017 07:12 |  #14

Fortunately at least for the time being there are no changes with TSA regs on electronic equipment. My decision to carry less on a recent trip was impacted by the possibility of restrictions while I was abroad.

Wilt
39,284 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 26, 2017 14:53 |  #15

US toughens airport security for foreign flights 28 June 2017
Homeland Security says airlines must step up security for US-bound flights or face possibility of total electronics ban.

"Authorities in the United States have unveiled tough new security measures for international flights arriving in the country, but held off from a threatened expansion of a carry-on laptop ban.

"The Homeland Security Department said on Wednesday it would now require enhanced screening of personal electronic devices, passengers and explosive detection for the roughly 2,000 commercial flights landing daily in the US from 280 airports in 105 countries.

"Officials said the agency would issue directives to about 180 air carriers, including US airlines.

"Security is my number one concern," John Kelly, secretary of homeland security, said during a speech at the Center for a New American Security. "Our enemies are adaptive and we have to adapt as well."

"Kelly said the changes will be "seen and unseen" and will be phased in over the coming weeks and months.
He said airlines that do not comply or are slow to enforce the new standards could be forced to bar large electronics from both carry-on and checked luggage. They could also lose permission to fly into the US.

"The current ban, which affects only foreign carriers flying to the US from 10 cities, allows passengers to travel with larger electronics packed in checked baggage.

"The original laptop and electronics ban has been in place since March amid concerns about an undisclosed threat described only as sophisticated and ongoing. That ban applied to nonstop flights to the US from Amman, Jordan; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Cairo; Istanbul; Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Casablanca, Morocco; Doha, Qatar; and Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. The roughly 50 affected flights are on foreign airlines.

"The government had considered expanding the laptop ban to include some European airports, though in recent public comments Kelly had suggested the government was looking at alternatives.

"Al Jazeera's Shihab Rattansi, reporting from Washington, DC, said the specifics of the new security measures were unclear.

"The specifics are a little vague and the Department of Homeland Security says that's on purpose because they don't discuss security measures in public," he said.

"What we understand is that if an airport wants to avoid a laptop ban, it has to enhance its security, including the checking of electronic devices for explosives and the screening of passengers and airport workers."

Questions over new measures

"Kelly also said the US would push harder for foreign airports to accept "pre-clearance" immigration operations manned by US Customs and Border Patrol officials to process US-bound passengers before they board their flights.

"Such operations have already been established in 15 locations in six countries, including Canada, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates.

"But it raises sensitive sovereignty issues to have US law enforcement officials operate inside another country.

"US officials remained vague about the specific requirements of the new programme.

"Airlines will be pressed to adopt a mix of new measures, including installing new screening technology, making more use of chemical sniffer dogs, and other unspecified steps.

"But the precise requirements in each case would depend on individual airlines, the airports they fly from, and their current levels of security. Some will have to make only minor improvements, they said.

"Asked about timeframes, officials would only say that they would give adequate time for the airlines to adapt.

"We are raising the bar globally" for security standards, one senior official, who declined to be identified, told the AFP news agency.

"They also said they expect nearly all carriers to be able to meet the new standards."

sponsored links

3,475 views & 3 likes for this thread
Traveling internationally with your camera gear...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.