Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 03 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 09:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Traveling internationally with your camera gear...

copmagnet82
Joined Nov 2016
Oct 28, 2017 21:44 |  #31

Just got back from a trip to Europe. My carry on (Tenba Roadie Air Case Roller 21) was slightly overweight (by 2 kilograms). Initially, I was told to "just move some things out of the bag", but once the guy who was checking me in saw the content, he was like "8.2 kilograms, looks good, have a nice flight, sir ;-)a ". TSA just x-ray'ed my bag and didn't have me open it. Coming back from Europe was even easier; the bag was just x-ray'ed and not weighted. Got lucky. It's ridicules how empty my bag was at the 8kg limit.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 50D | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Oct 29, 2017 05:41 |  #32

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18483558 (external link)
Just got back from a trip to Europe. My carry on (Tenba Roadie Air Case Roller 21) was slightly overweight (by 2 kilograms). Initially, I was told to "just move some things out of the bag", but once the guy who was checking me in saw the content, he was like "8.2 kilograms, looks good, have a nice flight, sir ;-)a ". TSA just x-ray'ed my bag and didn't have me open it. Coming back from Europe was even easier; the bag was just x-ray'ed and not weighted. Got lucky. It's ridicules how empty my bag was at the 8kg limit.

Which airline? Different airlines enforce the weight rules differently.

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,459 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2017 09:11 |  #33

Capn Jack wrote in post #18483706 (external link)

There is a good (and recent) summary by airline at https://www.tripsavvy.​com ...ize-weight-limits-1861874 (external link). Note near the bottom, comment #4 that reads

On most airlines, a briefcase, handbag, or laptop computer bag is permitted in addition to one piece of carry-on luggage.

I have often found this to be the case if you wear a backpack. Even though the straps etc. are obvious I have never been asked to remove it and have it weighed.

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Oct 29, 2017 09:17 |  #34

John from PA wrote in post #18483772 (external link)
There is a good (and recent) summaryby airline at https://www.tripsavvy.​com ...ize-weight-limits-1861874 (external link).

Thank you for that, but that link is a snapshot in time and policies change. It is nice to see what is being enforced, and how, form a more recent experience.

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,459 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 25 days ago by John from PA.
Oct 29, 2017 10:19 |  #35

Capn Jack wrote in post #18483776 (external link)
Thank you for that, but that link is a snapshot in time and policies change. It is nice to see what is being enforced, and how, form a more recent experience.

True, but it is from June 2017, hence why I said "recent". This thread by the way was started in early June 2017.

Another link is at https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/ (external link). Scroll down for the size/weight chart which is a bit more useful in that conversions from "English" to metric units are accommodated and if you click on the airline you will immediately get the most correct airline specific information.

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Capn Jack.
Oct 29, 2017 11:27 |  #36

John from PA wrote in post #18483811 (external link)
True, but it is from June 2017, hence why I said "recent". This thread by the way was started in early June 2017.

Another link is at https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/ (external link). Scroll down for the size/weight chart which is a bit more useful in that conversions from "English" to metric units are accommodated and if you click on the airline you will immediately get the most correct airline specific information.

I'm not quite sure of the point you are making. The links you cite are certainly useful, though June is several months ago.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have an actual user experience that is more recent. Some airlines enforce their rules more than others. For example, United Airlines has dimensions listed for carry-on, but in practice, it seems that "if it fits, it ships" to steal a phrase from the US Postal service. I've been flying UAL a lot this year, and I'm amazed at what some people consider "carry-on". On Lufthansa, it seemed that a back pack, even if larger than the permitted sizes, can go on carry-on, 2 years ago- I don't know if they became more strict now. While I don't recommend taking large items (there is limited space and it is impolite to others that do follow the rules), it is nice to know which airlines are strict and who allows a bit of flexibility as long as one isn't a total fool about it.

copmagnet82
Joined Nov 2016
Oct 29, 2017 13:10 |  #37

Capn Jack wrote in post #18483706 (external link)

This time it was LOT, no issues both ways. Prior to that I flew with Lufthansa and I had some issues going to Europe, and no issues coming back. I honestly think it has a lot to do with the clerk that's checking you in, not the airline so much.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 50D | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Canon Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT

nordlysBW
326 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Oct 29, 2017 13:10 |  #38

What can't be wrong is to carry some of those compact luggage scales with you when you fly. They not only make it easy to comply with the various airline luggage weight requirements. They also enable you to develop a strategy before checking in: if you are overweight you can decide beforehand what you will have to pack elsewhere (pockets, etc...) in case airline staff gets fussy.

copmagnet82
Joined Nov 2016
Post has been edited 25 days ago by copmagnet82.
Oct 29, 2017 13:13 |  #39

I actually have all the weights for my equipment written down and before flying I decide ahead of time what I will be putting in my pockets, if need be.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Oct 30, 2017 10:28 |  #40

Nick5 wrote in post #18442763 (external link)
Flew to Amsterdam last Saturday and returned Thursday afternoon. No difference at all compared to many years of flying.
Never asked to open and all went through rolling scanners just fine.
Bag consisted of two gripped bodies, four lenses and two Speedlites. Extra batteries for cameras and AA NiMH.

And two months before in June flying to Lisbon and returning from Barcelona.
All gear in ThinkTank Streetwalker HD stored above seat and Thinktank Retrospective 40 as personal item. Retrospective is my walk around bag and Streetwalker Backpack stays in hotel.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,459 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 30, 2017 19:35 |  #41

Capn Jack wrote in post #18483872 (external link)
I'm not quite sure of the point you are making. The links you cite are certainly useful, though June is several months ago.

You may have checked only the one link. I also supplied https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/ (external link) and if you go there and scroll down below the advertising, you can click on a specific airline. Using your example of United, you get a new page that directly takes you to current United policy, read that as now, not two months ago, not two days ago, but now. The image below is a sample of the result.

Now, it may very well be that you will get flagged if you have smaller than stipulated, and you have a valid arguing point although I suggest you ask to speak to a supervisor. But should you have something larger, then you don't have much of an arguing point except to plead the case nicely.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Oct 30, 2017 19:51 |  #42

John from PA wrote in post #18485014 (external link)
You may have checked only the one link. I also supplied https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/ (external link) and if you go there and scroll down below the advertising, you can click on a specific airline. Using your example of United, you get a new page that directly takes you to current United policy, read that as now, not two months ago, not two days ago, but now. The image below is a sample of the result.

Now, it may very well be that you will get flagged if you have smaller than stipulated, and you have a valid arguing point although I suggest you ask to speak to a supervisor. But should you have something larger, then you don't have much of an arguing point except to plead the case nicely.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by John from PA in
./showthread.php?p=184​85014&i=i103789069
forum: Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Ok, you win. There's no use in some one reporting their actual experiences, and no useful information for others. :rolleyes:

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,459 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 24 days ago by John from PA.
Oct 30, 2017 20:22 |  #43

Capn Jack wrote in post #18485022 (external link)
Ok, you win. There's no use in some one reporting their actual experiences, and no useful information for others. :rolleyes:

My point is that someone reporting actual experience is the same as anecdotal evidence and only represents a single point in time. If for example I'm told I have an oversize carry on and my reply is it was OK a week ago my argument carries little if any weight, and may even make the situation worse. If however I can pull out a piece of paper from Lufthansa that says I'm allowed 8 kilos, and my bag weighs 7.5 kilos, then I have a valid point of continued discussion.

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. Accurate determination of whether an anecdote is "typical" requires statistical evidence.

sponsored links

3,215 views & 3 likes for this thread
Traveling internationally with your camera gear...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.