Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 04 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 13:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mirrorless Camera to compliment 5DII

ofafeather
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 13:16 |  #1

Hi All,

I've been off photography for a few years while we were building a house and selling our previous one. I'm ready to pick it up again and am thinking of adding a mirrorless to my arsenal. I have a 5DII and a decent range of EF lenses which I will keep but also have a 7D and an EFS lens or two that I will part with.

Any one have suggestions for a Mirrorless that will compliment the 5DII? My hope would be to sell or trade the 7D and my EFS 10-22 and put up a little cash to get a decent mirrorless rig. I would guess that full frame is more than I would want to spend just now, especially as I'm not sure how much I'll get for my 7D rig.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!
Eric

Canon 7D, 5D Mark II and some Stuff

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Jun 04, 2017 13:53 |  #2

What are you looking to get out of a mirrorless camera that your 5D2 is failing at?

Looking to buy a new assortment of lenses or just looking to get a single focal length or single zoom?

There are a ton for great options right now but knowing what you're looking to get out of a mirrorless camera will help us narrow down the options.

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 14:17 |  #3

I think portability is the first key. I have some great lenses for the 5DII but would love to have something more discreet to carry around on trips to the city or light travel. I haven't really thought about the focal length or ASP-C vs 4/3 format. A flexible set-up for street photography, light architectural and landscapes, candids. Of course low-light performance would be great but I know it's somewhat limited compared to a FF with a fast prime. So maybe a fast prime and versatile zoom?

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
Jun 04, 2017 14:30 |  #4

ofafeather wrote in post #18370822 (external link)
I think portability is the first key. I have some great lenses for the 5DII but would love to have something more discreet to carry around on trips to the city or light travel. I haven't really thought about the focal length or ASP-C vs 4/3 format. A flexible set-up for street photography, light architectural and landscapes, candids. Of course low-light performance would be great but I know it's somewhat limited compared to a FF with a fast prime. So maybe a fast prime and versatile zoom?

I found the FF/m43 combo to be pretty fantastic. I ended up switching over to m43 fully, but that was primarily because I wanted to slim down to a single system and I started doing some alpine touring/mountaineering photography so weight reduction became far more important than ultimate image quality.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 14:40 as a reply to raptor3x's post |  #5

Which m43 bodies are you liking most these days?

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
Jun 04, 2017 14:53 |  #6

ofafeather wrote in post #18370844 (external link)
Which m43 bodies are you liking most these days?

The E-M1 was what sold me on m43, mostly because of the excellent ergonomics and the E-M1.2 only improves on that. I've also got a Pen-F but wouldn't recommend it unless you can either get it cheap (I got mine for ~$650 off FM) or are really big on camera aesthetics. I don't have too much experience with the Panasonic bodies but the GH5 sounds like a winner, especially if you're interested in video.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 14:59 as a reply to raptor3x's post |  #7

Thanks! How would you compare your EMs with your Xt1? I realize the ASP-c vs 43 is a difference but otherwise?

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Jun 04, 2017 15:57 |  #8

ofafeather wrote in post #18370822 (external link)

Well then Fuji, Sony, or M43 will get you quite a bit smaller with good flexibility. I used to use an M43 camera (Panasonic GX1) as a second system but wasn't not impressed with it so sold it off. I picked up Fuji a couple years later, again as a second system, and like it so much I switched completely. With that said I have heard then the quality of M43 has increased quite a bit over the last few years.

So now the question is, are you ok with the smaller M43 sensor or do you want to stick with the slightly bigger APS-C sensor? Now for lenses. M43 has a large selection, not all are great but with so many to choose from its easy to find exactly what you want. Fuji has a smaller selection of lenses but you have to look hard to find a bad lens in the X-mount. I personally think Sony's lens selection is the weakest of the bunch with a small selection and noting really great (in e-mount for aps-c).

I'm a fuji guy so I'd suggest looking at the x-t20 and then find lenses that fit what you need. The 18-55mm f2.8-4 is probably the best "ket lens" made by anyone. Fast primes? Fuji has lots of fast primes. 16mm f1.4, 18mm f2, 23mm f1.4, 23mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 35mm f2, 50mm f2, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, and 14mm f2.8 if f2.8 is fast to you.

For what you said you're looking to shoot the x-t20 with 18-55 and 14 might work.

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by ofafeather. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 04, 2017 16:07 as a reply to gremlin75's post |  #9

Yes, the X-T20 seems like a good feature set and the price point is probably on target. Of course the x-T2... but for what I'm doing I probably don't need it. I always have the 5DII for more specific shooting and if I ever find I need the X-t2 I can trade up but still have glass to go with it.

The m43 has the advantage of more compact lenses. What would be an equivalent to the quality level of the x-t20 in a m43 format?

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and education.

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
Post has been edited 6 months ago by raptor3x.
Jun 04, 2017 16:22 |  #10

ofafeather wrote in post #18370861 (external link)
Thanks! How would you compare your EMs with your Xt1? I realize the ASP-c vs 43 is a difference but otherwise?

The Fuji is primarily my wife's camera. I'm not really a huge fan of the Fuji bodies but she likes the way the camera looks; I don't care for either the control setups or the x-trans sensors. The controls on the X-T1 are one of those things that sounds great on paper, "Dedicated control dials for all exposure parameters!", but when you actually start using it you realize there's a reason those old film style controls were abandoned. As far as the x-trans sensors, I don't have any experience with the latest versions but the one in the X-T1 is basically like having +50 chroma NR baked in with all the color smearing that entails; plus you tend to get weird aberrations when sharpening. In terms of IQ, APS-C will almost always have an advantage in noise and SNR but you really have to judge for yourself how noticeable is the difference. If I was going to buy a fuji body for travel, I'd avoid the x-trans models and go with an X-A3 + 18-55; that kit lens is not too far off from the Olympus 12-40.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by AlanU. 2 edits done in total.
Jun 04, 2017 16:41 |  #11

The Fuji X-T20 or X-T2 is probably better at high iso to the 5dmk2.

I'd go Fuji or Sony A6300/A6500 before diving into M43.

The Oly E-M1 mk2 (body) is $2000 USD!! while the Sony A6500 (body) is $1300. Sony would destroy the M43 as far as high iso is concerned. The sony native lens lineup might suit your needs and still be small form factor.

The Fuji X-T20 with 18-55 kit lens would produce substantially better files than your 7d with 10-22!!! The price of $1149USD for a new Fuji system will blow you away in how much better it is to your 7D (been there done that).

Even the latest $$$$ M43 bodies cannot even come close in high iso performance. M43 certainly has a large lens selection and it may suit your needs. For the price of the Gh5 or E-m1 mk2 your better off buying a lighter canon 6d but deal with the clunky larger EF lenses.

Basically I purchased a Fuji X-T20 and 18-55 image stabilized f/2.8-4.0 kit lens and that alone made me dump my M43 gear immediately. The IQ difference was more than enough to make me switch. The newer X-T20 is virtually 90% of the more expensive X-T2. The X-T20 is a substantial jump in the latest tech with new fuji 24mp sensor , touchscreen and fantastic high iso performance that M43 cannot touch. I dropped M43 for the reason of lack of high iso performance. I don't know many photographers that do not welcome great performance in low light.

I'd easily say the X-T20 with 18-55 kit lens would produce more rich lush RAW files closer to full frame "richness" than a $2000 USD Olympus E-M1 mk2 with a olympus/zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 Pro (900usd) lens. I know I preferred my X-T10 with 18-55 kit lens over my Olympus E-m5 or Panasonic GH3 with Pansonic 12-35 f/2.8 "pro" lens!!!!!!

I know currently there is a M43 following for the wildlife shooters as it's an economical way to get long telephoto needs fraction of the cost of a nikon or canon user.

I guess you must determine if you primarily shoot in "good light". Locally it seems there's been a substantial drop in M43 sales since Sony A6300/6500 or Fuji line meets the low light /high iso performance demands of even casual shooters. M43 prices have increased alot considering the sensor has not drastically improved.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Jun 04, 2017 18:57 |  #12

ofafeather wrote in post #18370945 (external link)
Yes, the X-20 seems like a good feature set and the price point is probably on target. Of course the x-2... but for what I'm doing I probably don't need it.

Just an FYI, there is actually an x20 from fuji. Its a small point and shoot with we built in zoom and 2/3" sensor. I know you mean the x-t20 and x-t2 but just know that if you leave the T off some might be confused.

I have the x-t2 and it is an amazing camera. However the x-t20 is about 90% of the x-t2 at half the price and in a smaller package. So if size is important the x-t20 would be a better choice then the x-t2

raptor3x wrote in post #18370956 (external link)
I don't care for either the control setups or the x-trans sensors. The controls on the X-T1 are one of those things that sounds great on paper, "Dedicated control dials for all exposure parameters!", but when you actually start using it you realize there's a reason those old film style controls were abandoned. As far as the x-trans sensors, I don't have any experience with the latest versions but the one in the X-T1 is basically like having +50 chroma NR baked in with all the color smearing that entails; plus you tend to get weird aberrations when sharpening.

Two of the things that vast majority of people praise about the X-series camera, the controls and colors. But thats the great thing about this world, not everyone likes the same things and looks for the same features.

AlanU wrote in post #18370972 (external link)
The Fuji X-T20 with 18-55 kit lens would produce substantially better files than your 7d with 10-22!!!

I'd fully agree with that. My last canon Camera was a 60D (same sensor as the 7D) and the files from the x-T2 (again, same sensor as the x-T20) are quite a bit better then the Canon.

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 19:12 |  #13

Strongly considering the x-t20 with the 18-55. I'll play with that then look at picking up a prime or two.

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 20:58 as a reply to ofafeather's post |  #14

Well, I've done it. Ordered the X-T20 with 18-55 lens. I'm worried I won't like it and at the same time i'm worried that I'll like it so much I'll want to get rid of all my Canon gear, lol. Thanks for all of the help. I'll keep you posted. I'll probably hold off on buying a prime lens until I'm sure I'm going to keep it and I have time to sell my 7D rig. Seems I always have more time to buy than sell!

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers!

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 04, 2017 21:02 |  #15

gremlin75 wrote in post #18371037 (external link)
Just an FYI, there is actually an x20 from fuji. Its a small point and shoot with we built in zoom and 2/3" sensor. I know you mean the x-t20 and x-t2 but just know that if you leave the T off some might be confused

Thanks! Good catch. I revised my earlier post to make sure it was XT all around.

sponsored links

2,455 views & 3 likes for this thread
Mirrorless Camera to compliment 5DII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.