Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 04 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 13:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mirrorless Camera to compliment 5DII

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,827 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 05, 2017 17:19 |  #31

John from PA wrote in post #18371792 (external link)
Care to share? IMO, looks decent except for lack of 4K video.

canons blistering pace of native lens releases?

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jun 05, 2017 17:20 |  #32

How about a mirrorless camera with a mirror? The SL1 is featherweight and compatible with all EF and EF-S lenses.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

ofafeather
THREAD ­ STARTER
645 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Ancramdale, NY
Jun 05, 2017 17:32 |  #33

John from PA wrote in post #18371792 (external link)
Care to share? IMO, looks decent except for lack of 4K video.

Saw several Luke warm reviews. The lack of 4K video wouldn't bother me, especially if I were getting something else out of it or if it were significantly cheaper. The one thing that was positive was the IQ, but most other aspects were not up to competitors, including build quality, no electronic shutter, poor glass selection (yes you can get an adaptor to use EF lenses but that often makes the camera much heavier and then might a well use the dSLR), etc.

Canon 7D, 5D Mark II and some Stuff

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jun 05, 2017 17:58 |  #34

Archibald wrote in post #18371801 (external link)
How about a mirrorless camera with a mirror? The SL1 is featherweight and compatible with all EF and EF-S lenses.

The SL1 is based on an older Canon sensor. Also there is no AF micro adjust. Since we are all preaching that fuji is fantastic (LOL!!!) the mirrorless system has very few issues of back or front focus compared to mirrored DSLR bodies. Yes even a 5dmk4 or 1DXmk2 is not immune to calibration clashes between lens calibration and body calibration.

I'll have to say I do enjoy using my 80D with 10-22 UWA lens when I run/gun. That grip is comfortable and meaty enough that if feels secure and comfortable. I actually don't mind larger bodies to be honest.

IQ wise I think the EOS M5 is basically the same as the 80D. Yes Canon crippled those bodies with 1080 HD video only and delibertately excluded 4k. At the end of the day it all depends on a person's needs. If anyone is wanting extended 1080HD my 80D does a great job!!! Fuji batteries truly suck and do not last long at all (this includes many mirrorless systems). If a person is wanting 4k video and extended shooting I'd highly suggest the X-T2 with body booster grip for extended battery life or Sony. Doesn't seem like anyone is really praising the Canon 5dmk4's 4k capabilities.

As a canon shooter I'll have to say I can shoot an event with full confidence with my 5dmk2 and remote flash with ease. Flash focus assist red light on Canon's speed light puts my Fuji X-t2 to shame with EF-X500 $$$ fuji flash when accuracy is concerned.
My 80D auto focus in absolute dreadful low light and canon speedlight works like a champ!!! my flagship Fuji X-T2 fails with AF hesitation in low light....my canon in low light w/ red focus assist light from flash has never failed me. My situation I'm describing is high stress run/gun events photography.

So to put things into perspective each photographer has specific needs and for me my fuji fails me in some situations. DO I LOVE Fuji?? Absolutely!!! but it's just a tool selection in my gear bag for specific needs.

At this moment I'd love to buy a 5dmk4 and use my current Canon lenses over a smaller Sony full frame mirrorless body with large full frame Sony glass. My preference to no cramping hands using nice ergonomic hand grip of the heavier Canon. This is just my preference.

For small bodies with high IQ I've selected Fuji. It's small and light and the files looks great on the computer monitor and beautiful on 300dpi print!!!

The EOS M5 would be more popular if Canon can catch up to even Sony's E mount lenses (A6000/6300/6500). Small form factor I do not find the A6500 series an option with sony/canon lens adapters with my EF lenses I own.

Getting back to the OP's question......the fuji X-T2 or X-T20 is definitely something to look at to pair with the 5dmk2 IMO. The smaller lighter 80D can also serve as a neat option of taking advantage of having a FF system and a 1.6x crop Canon system. I really like shooting with my 80D due to the 1.6 crop factor and canon lenses I own.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jun 05, 2017 23:44 |  #35

Osa713 wrote in post #18371774 (external link)
Lol the X-T20 is extremely different from a DSLR starting with the shooting experience....

The button placement on top of the camera vs the top screen from DSLR's took me a while to get use to but now I love it.

Shooting from the hip and composing from the LCD screen was not the smoothest experience on DSLR's but on mirrorless it becomes second nature and make street photography and candid shoots very easy to capture.

Not trying to start a war here :lol: a lot of forums members are super sensitive about this subject. Different tools for different scenarios.

War with shooter from the hip? :-P I'm not into the war with Lomographers. Love and Peace. :love: I do bring my camera to the face, like HCB, GW and JM

IMAGE: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Xumo7_JUeMo/maxresdefault.jpg
https://youtu.be/Xumo7​_JUeMo (external link)

This is why everything with VF, EVF in the middle is nothing, but same old SLR to me. :-)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Patbil10
Joined Apr 2014
Aylmer, Quebec
Jun 16, 2017 09:51 |  #36

EOS M5 with the canon adapter ! This is what I have to go along with my 5D4 and I love it ! The M5 gets no love at all and is always overlooked despite it being an excellent camera.

With the Canon adapter, all my lenses work perfectly...no need for 3rd party adapters that may or may not work. :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Strick
Joined Aug 2007
Katy, TX
Jun 16, 2017 12:51 |  #37

raptor3x wrote in post #18370956 (external link)
The Fuji is primarily my wife's camera. I'm not really a huge fan of the Fuji bodies but she likes the way the camera looks; I don't care for either the control setups or the x-trans sensors. The controls on the X-T1 are one of those things that sounds great on paper, "Dedicated control dials for all exposure parameters!", but when you actually start using it you realize there's a reason those old film style controls were abandoned. As far as the x-trans sensors, I don't have any experience with the latest versions but the one in the X-T1 is basically like having +50 chroma NR baked in with all the color smearing that entails; plus you tend to get weird aberrations when sharpening. In terms of IQ, APS-C will almost always have an advantage in noise and SNR but you really have to judge for yourself how noticeable is the difference. If I was going to buy a fuji body for travel, I'd avoid the x-trans models and go with an X-A3 + 18-55; that kit lens is not too far off from the Olympus 12-40.

Pretty much sums up my experience with the Fuji. Stuck with my m4/3 after trying out the Fuji for a few months.

flickr (external link)
www.strickphotography.​com (external link)
www.zoominphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,472 views & 3 likes for this thread
Mirrorless Camera to compliment 5DII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.