Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 04 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 19:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fostering a Pigeon for the night

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jun 04, 2017 19:32 |  #1

Totally random day. Went to play Ultimate Frisbee, and arrived to find a Pigeon that was hanging around the field we play at. Tried to schoo it off, but no matter how far we got it from us, it would fly back into the middle of our group, interrupting play :lol: It was hot outside, I gave it some water.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Afterwards, we bid the bird farewell, and I went home. I got to thinking that a wild pigeon would have flown off in fear, no way would it have let us handle it. There was no band on its leg, so it wasn't a registered homing or racing bird. It was very nicely groomed. I live way out from a city area, and have never seen a pigeon out here. Most of all it liked being around people. No way that was a wild bird, it more than likely belonged to someone.

The area we play UF in is rather wooded, and I have regularly seen hawks there. I felt bad that I was just leaving it out there to fend for itself. I read up on the county's Animal Control and bird rehab centers, trying to see if there was somewhere I could take the bird to, but being a Sunday everything is closed. So, I went back to the field and found the pigeon. It had flown up to another soccer field where people were watching a match, again trying to hang out with people. Gently corralled it into a box with mesh top for ventilation, and brought it home.

So, I have a foster guest for the evening :-P Fed it some good bird seed, gave it more water, and right now it's falling asleep sitting on my wife's shoulder; poor little fellow is tuckered out. Tomorrow, I intend on taking it to a bird rehab center (not animal control, they'll probably euthanize).

HOSTED PHOTO

I'm reading more on pigeons as pets, and it seems that it's not that crazy of a thing. Hopefully I can find the owner.

flickrexternal link

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Jun 05, 2017 01:02 |  #2

MatthewK wrote in post #18371051 (external link)
Totally random day. Went to play Ultimate Frisbee, and arrived to find a Pigeon that was hanging around the field we play at. Tried to schoo it off, but no matter how far we got it from us, it would fly back into the middle of our group, interrupting play :lol: It was hot outside, I gave it some water.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=183​71051&i=i16949795
forum: Bird Talk

Afterwards, we bid the bird farewell, and I went home. I got to thinking that a wild pigeon would have flown off in fear, no way would it have let us handle it. There was no band on its leg, so it wasn't a registered homing or racing bird. It was very nicely groomed. I live way out from a city area, and have never seen a pigeon out here. Most of all it liked being around people. No way that was a wild bird, it more than likely belonged to someone.

The area we play UF in is rather wooded, and I have regularly seen hawks there. I felt bad that I was just leaving it out there to fend for itself. I read up on the county's Animal Control and bird rehab centers, trying to see if there was somewhere I could take the bird to, but being a Sunday everything is closed. So, I went back to the field and found the pigeon. It had flown up to another soccer field where people were watching a match, again trying to hang out with people. Gently corralled it into a box with mesh top for ventilation, and brought it home.

So, I have a foster guest for the evening :-P Fed it some good bird seed, gave it more water, and right now it's falling asleep sitting on my wife's shoulder; poor little fellow is tuckered out. Tomorrow, I intend on taking it to a bird rehab center (not animal control, they'll probably euthanize).

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=183​71051&i=i189812882
forum: Bird Talk

I'm reading more on pigeons as pets, and it seems that it's not that crazy of a thing. Hopefully I can find the owner.

It's not banded (people who race them also band them--I've found and returned a few). You may have a new pet. If I were closer I would adopt it. Mine are really friendly too. You could always build it a pen, and get it a buddy...

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jun 05, 2017 04:39 |  #3

Well, the wife really likes her despite the poop. I told her that we're going to find the owner or an adoptive family, as I already have a dog and cat to care for. Before I knew it, wife was looking at bird cages on Craigslist, and tips on caring for wayward birds :love: Oh, and her new name is Pepper.

flickrexternal link

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jun 05, 2017 20:26 |  #4

Day 2

So I called Montgomery County Animal Control, and they said that they receive a good number of calls about lost pigeons. Most of the time the birds get tired of flying, and land somewhere to chill/recover. Basically, Animal Control just end up letting them go because the pigeons know where home is.

I don't want to keep the bird, and intend on letting it free once the weather clears up (rain in the forecast for the next few days). So, I made some modifications to her "cage" so that she wasn't sitting on the floor in her excrement.

HOSTED PHOTO

And it'd be remiss if I didn't take at least one decent photo of her :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

flickrexternal link

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,177 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 05, 2017 21:09 |  #5

MatthewK wrote in post #18371923 (external link)
Day 2I made some modifications to her "cage" so that she wasn't sitting on the floor in her excrement.

Right. Birds need perches in any case, for the health of their feet.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

2,402 views & 4 likes for this thread
Fostering a Pigeon for the night
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.