Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses
Thread started 05 Jun 2017 (Monday) 09:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice on 50mm 1.8 dust partciles

dwaisman11
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Jun 05, 2017 09:43 |  #1

Hello,
I just came back from a trip and I've noticed that my 50mm has some consistent dust particles.
I've blown air and cleaned the front external element with a smooth cloth very gently, but particles are still present.
The back element seems pristine in condition and very clean. This is a year old lens that have seen regular action but not as much.
Do you guys think that I need to send it to get it service ? Are there any options to get the particles removed ?

Thank you for any help!

Photography tour Patagonia (external link) at Photography tours (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,247 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Jun 05, 2017 10:02 |  #2

First, which 50mm? There are a couple to choose from.

Second, are the particles on the outside or on the inside? (I'm guessing on the inside of the lens.)

Third, if they are a few on the front element, they will not be visible on the final image so I wouldn't worry about it. If they are on the front of the front element, try another wet clean.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

dwaisman11
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Jun 05, 2017 10:10 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #3

Hello GJL711,
It's a Sony SEL50F18 for APS-c. I use it on my A6300.
I'll try a wet clean, I only did a dry one. I'll include a flashlight to try to see where they are. I still see them when I point the lens to a bright area.

Thank you for the tips.

AvidColl
30 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Jun 11, 2017 07:16 as a reply to dwaisman11's post |  #4

I hope the dust particles are not inside... as you know this lens is not weather/dust sealed. Sending to service might cost you as much as a replacement. Unlike old SLR lenses opening the lens to clean is really hard due to the construction and complications also. So, Unless the dust particles shows up on images I wouldn't worry about them.

dwaisman11
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Jul 18, 2017 10:38 as a reply to AvidColl's post |  #5

Thank you for the advice. Particles are gone!

Best regards

661 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice on 50mm 1.8 dust partciles
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.