Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 05 Jun 2017 (Monday) 20:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting my first wedding???

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 05, 2017 20:27 |  #1

Well, this could be real. Before you are telling me I should second shoot one first and etc. Well, is not happening since I don't know any other wedding photographers in my area. I shot enough events but nothing like a wedding. I have just been asked to shoot one because her husband loves my cycling race photography. So, that's the situation. I love to get my feet wet in wedding photography too.

The problem is that I am single and don't really know what goes on in a wedding. I see photos with groom and bride dressing up. Are they usually in the same household? I guess not? That means I have to be there when it happens? And the reception is where the couples are having their wedding party? After the ceremonially, I should be traveling with the couples where they are having their reception? :) At what points the couples should have photos taken with their family members? And the groom's best men and bridesmaids???

Yes, I need to scout the locations (church and the reception hall) first and to determine the lighting condition and etc.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 00:33 |  #2

Well, just spent couple of hours googling and I think I know what I need to do...at least in general..unless the bride and groom want to do something different. I suppose is always a good idea to meet up with the couples before the wedding? The couples live in another state and is 3 hours drive from me. Money is money and experience is experience...I guess I can't complain... Maybe I would schedule some initial meetup while I was scouting the area???

See if I can seal this deal...

Facebookexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 6 months ago by Colin Glover.
Jun 06, 2017 12:22 |  #3

Groom & Bride should be in separate houses as it's considered unlucky for the groom to see bride or dress before wedding. Unless you go early enough to do both, go to brides house. Usually groom shots are something like fastening his tie/cravat, and one or two with fellow groomsmen enjoying a bevvy (beer/lager). Brides house is makeup, hairdo, back of dress being tied up, shoes, flowers, bridesmaids all together drinking bubbly, bride getting in limo, etc so much more scope for better shots. If you have a second shooter, then you can cover both. Then it's guests arriving, bride's arrival, ceremony and formals, intimates, wedding breakfast with speeches and cutting cake, and first dance. Get the emotion in the shots and you've nailed it.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 13:05 |  #4

Colin Glover wrote in post #18372385 (external link)
Groom & Bride should be in separate houses as it's considered unlucky for the groom to see bride or dress before wedding. Unless you go early enough to do both, go to brides house. Usually groom shots are something like fastening his tie/cravat, and one or two with fellow groomsmen enjoying a bevvy (beer/lager). Brides house is makeup, hairdo, back of dress being tied up, shoes, flowers, bridesmaids all together drinking bubbly, bride getting in limo, etc so much more scope for better shots. If you have a second shooter, then you can cover both. Then it's guests arriving, bride's arrival, ceremony and formals, intimates, wedding breakfast with speeches and cutting cake, and first dance. Get the emotion in the shots and you've nailed it.

Thanks...what about the ring shots? In what points they aren't wearing their wedding rings??? Can I request them to remove them during the reception? Maybe is considered bad luck???

Facebookexternal link

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post has been edited 6 months ago by joedlh.
Jun 06, 2017 13:45 |  #5

You should get a shot list from the couple and their parents. This will tell you what they want as opposed to somebody else's idea of what you should get. It will also direct your attention to must-have relatives like grandparents.

A friend begged me to shoot her wedding a few years ago and would not accept my admonition that I don't do weddings. The idea of a ring shot never came up in the conversation. I never took it. It was not missed. I've never seen a ring shot hanging on somebody's wall. I guess it would be on the shot list of some people. But you should ask. That same friend was dumbfounded when I told her that I would not do a trash the dress shot, which was all the rage at the time. She was astounded that anybody would ask for it. But people are different.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 14:23 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #6

Thanks...yeah of course, need to capture what they wish of course. The dress, the shoes.....I thought it would be nice. I have a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro OS for things like these...

Facebookexternal link

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,843 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jun 06, 2017 18:57 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #7

Depends what type of ring shots you take as to whether they hang them or not ;)

Peter

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 20:08 |  #8

I have another questions. :) I am planning to scout the reception hall. The ceremony and the reception party would be inside this one building. So, I am not looking at shooting inside a church. I suppose inside this venue, there is a ceremony area or "room?" Of course, can I just show up at this place and asking the owner or the manager if I can "look around?"

Thanks....

Facebookexternal link

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 20:56 |  #9

Oh well, no deal. The groom booked someone else. I quoted them $800 for a 6 hours wedding. Not including 7+ hours driving time from me. Hate to know why they would choose another photographers.....:)

Facebookexternal link

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,125 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Jun 06, 2017 21:27 |  #10

Perhaps they have a stronger portfolio and a clue about how to shoot a wedding. : /

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 21:33 as a reply to texkam's post |  #11

Maybe...they knew what I shoot. They saw my site. No surprise there and why even contacting me if they are expecting to see more wedding portfolio. Draw you own conclusions.

Facebookexternal link

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Jun 06, 2017 21:33 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #12

$800 for a 6h wedding...no way!
I would have walked away. Well, now you don't need to.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 21:37 |  #13

itsallart wrote in post #18372757 (external link)
$800 for a 6h wedding...no way!
I would have walked away. Well, now you don't need to.

I like to get my feet wet but certainly not happy about the 3 hours drive one way. The contacted me and saw my site even with my lack of strong portfolio in wedding photography. I thought I see how far things could go.

Facebookexternal link

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2015
Near Dallas
Post has been edited 6 months ago by itsallart.
Jun 06, 2017 22:01 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #14

I did some weddings that were hours away and charged 45 cents a mile on top. I no longer shoot weddings simply because I don't want to deal with bridezillas; I now do live wedding painting, a 3-4 hour gig for typically $1,000 to 2,000 depending on the size :) Still charge for the trip beyond 20 miles.
In a way, be glad they found someone else.
Try to get into weddings as a 2nd shooter; I did that. Get your portfolio and build up some confidence and then dictate your prices and rules. Good luck :)

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jun 06, 2017 22:05 |  #15

itsallart wrote in post #18372772 (external link)
I did some weddings that were hours away and charged 45 cents a mile on top. I no longer shoot weddings simply because I don't want to deal with bridezillas; I now do live wedding painting, a 3-4 hour gig for typically $1,000 to 2,000 depending on the size :) Still charge for the trip beyond 20 miles.

Nice...:)

Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

3,508 views & 1 like for this thread
Shooting my first wedding???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.