Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 08:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hey - it's the anniversary of the best POTN day ever!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 09, 2017 08:56 |  #1

I see that just last year, on this date, we had over 6,000 users online at one time. . Normally, we seem to have between 1400 and 1900. . In fact, whenever I look at these stats at the bottom of the page, it always seems to be between 1400 and 1900. So, I wonder what caused the usage to peak so sharply at this time last year. . Any ideas on what could have caused this?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,985 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Jun 10, 2017 06:12 |  #2

Program (coding) error?

Website (external link) |

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jun 10, 2017 06:55 |  #3

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18375155 (external link)
Program (coding) error?

:-) nope.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Jun 10, 2017 09:26 |  #4

bots? ghosts from POTN Vbulletin? Automated test cases testing forum code? 5000 Nigerian princes all looking for folks to help them smuggle money out? National POTN day, and all the photography classes were checking out the best photography forum?

:D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jun 10, 2017 10:17 |  #5

aliens.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,270 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jun 11, 2017 12:27 |  #6

...or maybe zombies.

Mark

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,637 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jun 11, 2017 20:05 |  #7

Fans of Chet tuning into to see my since deleted all nude review. It was spectacular!

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jun 11, 2017 20:48 |  #8

5000 Pekka-testing accounts?

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Jun 11, 2017 20:59 |  #9

I have always assumed that there were actually 6106 bona-fide users on POTN at that time. . It never occurred to me that these statistics could somehow be the result of some kind of bots or whatever people call them.

Perhaps Pekka has records of how many of those 6016 were registered members and how many were guests. . If the ratio between the two is significantly different than it usually is, then I suppose that will shed some light as to the real nature of the 6000+ peak. . But until these statistics are known, I will continue to believe that over 6000 real people actually got onto the website to discuss photography at one moment that day.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,177 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jun 11, 2017 21:52 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18376308 (external link)
But until these statistics are known, I will continue to believe that over 6000 real people actually got onto the website to discuss photography at one moment that day.

I, in contrast, will suspend judgment on the nature of the 6000 because the statistics aren't known (by me).

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Jun 11, 2017 22:21 |  #11

Canon 5DS-R was coming out. Everyone wanted the scoop obviously!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Jun 11, 2017 22:46 |  #12

I had just posted my Rhino photo I think and the world went crazy. thats obviously not it

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jun 12, 2017 15:35 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18376308 (external link)
I have always assumed that there were actually 6106 bona-fide users on POTN at that time. . It never occurred to me that these statistics could somehow be the result of some kind of bots or whatever people call them.

Perhaps Pekka has records of how many of those 6016 were registered members and how many were guests. . If the ratio between the two is significantly different than it usually is, then I suppose that will shed some light as to the real nature of the 6000+ peak. . But until these statistics are known, I will continue to believe that over 6000 real people actually got onto the website to discuss photography at one moment that day.

There may be such peaks when some post/thread is referenced in any of the popular social media sites (like Twitter, Facebook) and that leads people here in a quick burst. Also, some search bots are nice for site resources (like Google), some more aggressive with lots of parallel sessions. I do get detailed browsing logs (as all websites do), but I try to use my time for something more productive than parsing logs :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

1,099 views & 5 likes for this thread
Hey - it's the anniversary of the best POTN day ever!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.