Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 13 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 17:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Backyard feeding station/photo site-

ardeekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Aug 21, 2017 04:58 as a reply to post 18432492 |  #16

You only have them during migration? Hmm. Would not have thought that. Any pics?

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Aug 21, 2017 12:25 |  #17

ardeekay wrote in post #18433038 (external link)
You only have them during migration? Hmm. Would not have thought that. Any pics?

Based on what I'm hearing from a birder who has been keeping tabs on them for ages, the local birds aren't visting feeders due to all the natural flowering plants staying in flower much longer this unusually cool spring. In particular, she noted that tulip poplar was attracting them. I've seen a couple of local birds at other places, just none at my feeder until now.

Just imported some photos for processing yesterday. Didn't see anything that completely wowed me, but I'll post one or two in a few days.

flickr (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Aug 23, 2017 19:30 as a reply to ardeekay's post |  #18

Rog,

Here's a couple of shots I took the other day. Neither is spectacular, just wanted to show the type of feeders I'm using. The homemade feeder is under an eave, so it's in the shadows most of the day. It's an 8oz maple syrup jar with red solo cup over it. I don't get good photo ops from it, but I can see it from my couch and kitchen window. The commercial feeder gets more light and visitors. I can also see it from my couch. Counted 28 individuals migrating through the other day. All single bird visits to the feeders. The adult males must have already migrated down because I've not seen one. I understand they go down before the female and young birds.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4386/35957337333_2fb773cd8b_c.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/35957339743_e57b49cd9d_c.jpg

flickr (external link)

2,907 views & 3 likes for this thread
Backyard feeding station/photo site-
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.